Help Support SM:

Spider-Man
Sideshow DC Comics Zatanna DC Comics Premium Format(TM) Figure
Bowen Statues
Amazon Home Page
Sideshow on eBay
Sideshow Collectibles Thanos on Throne Maquette
XM Studios

Go Back   STATUE M A R V E L S > THE SPINNER RACK - Comic Book Related > MARVEL * DC * IMAGE & OTHERS COMIC BOOK DISCUSSIONS

Thread Starter wrlord Replies 7 Views 854  Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscription
share |
share topic

Old May 15th, 2017, 07:50:26 PM   #1
wrlord
Statue Marvels Royalty

Default A thought on Captain America

This forum seems to be deader than Jane Doe, but if anyone is out there...

Captain America has been written in increasingly political tones lately (as has Superman). I don't like it, and I just read an article about Duane Johnson that sums up why beautifully. Just substitute Cap for the rock in this:

Quote:
The Rock is a registered Republican, and he spoke briefly to the 2000 Republican National Convention (as part of a WWE get-out-the-vote initiative), but his precise political positions are undefined. He’s been friendly with Barack Obama and Bill Clinton. After the 2016 election, he took issue with the Under Armour CEO’s statement of support for Donald Trump but refused to distance himself from the company itself. We know The Rock loves America, but we can’t begin to guess where he stands on the EPA’s Clean Power Plan. Rather than speculating about whether The Rock could run and win, let’s ask a different question: What is his highest and best purpose as a patriotic American? Is it really in politics? Or is it in expanding a public platform that combines an enormous amount of pure fun with outspoken patriotism, love of his fellow citizens, and evangelism for hard work and perseverance?

Those of us who write about and study both politics and pop culture are keenly aware of the truth famously articulated by Andrew Breitbart: Politics is downstream from culture. Indeed, more alarming than the political polarization of the nation is its increasing cultural polarization. Red and Blue Americans live in different places, watch different shows, and increasingly adopt different manners and mores. We seem to be growing apart.

The Rock is one of the few culturally unifying figures in American life, and he’s a culturally unifying figure with a message of gratitude and hard work that also happens to be culturally edifying. If he moves into the naturally polarizing world of politics, where he’ll have to take positions on issues great and small, will he be forsaking a larger unifying role for the lesser polarizing path of public policy? At the risk of sounding corny: At this time in American life, we need points of agreement, and right now tens of millions of Americans on both sides of the political divide agree on The Rock.

In Fate of the Furious, The Rock arguably tops his Furious 7 minigun scene. In the middle of a climactic chase on a field of Siberian ice, a nuclear submarine bursts from the depths and launches a torpedo straight at The Rock and his fleeing friends. As the torpedo surges past The Rock’s vehicle, he leans out and physically alters its path with his bare hands. Yes, in his career, he’s graduated from wrestling people to wrestling 6,000-pound Soviet-era munitions.

If The Rock steps down from film to promulgate regulations and appoint judges, who will take his place on the ice? Who will shoot down drones with stolen ambulances? For now, we want him behind that minigun. We need him wrestling torpedoes. The Rock is the right celebrity for our polarized time. The politics can wait.
http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...n-hero-we-need

Dictated on my iPad. My iPad can't spell for sh!t.
wrlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 15th, 2017, 08:56:01 PM   #2
TrueFaith

The forum may be deader than Jane Doe, but it still has a prohibition against political discussion of any kind.
I believe any continuing conversation on what you've posted cannot help but devolve into politics.
Posting an article from a conservative periodical that mentions Andrew Breitbart and "truth" in the same sentence can easily be seen as offensive by some, so you're already crossing boundaries here.
You may feel that it's all in good fun and an effort to liven up the discussion on the forum, but nibbling at the edges of banned subject matter on Statue Marvels is ill advised and will only lead to this thread being deleted without notice if any political motivation becomes apparent.
Fair warning.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2017, 10:45:04 PM   #3
Mister H
Statue Marvels Royalty

I don't see the Rock going very far politically, I like him just fine but I think he might bite off more than he can chew with politicians.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2017, 06:36:36 AM   #4
TrueFaith

I was never that much of a "Rock" fan, but his HBO series "Ballers" changed that pretty quickly. That and the fact that when he was in Boston filming a movie a couple of years ago, it seemed like not a day would pass without a story in the newspaper about how he had done something nice for fans, or kids at Children's Hospital when he wasn't filming. I think he even helped someone change a flat tire on the highway one day and then tried to get away before the press showed up. He certainly wouldn't be the only popular actor who's toyed with the idea of running for office, but they usually end up concentrating on their acting careers instead.
There was a hugely entertaining interview with him in GQ a few days ago that's definitely a must-read for fans:

http://www.gq.com/story/dwayne-johns...resident-cover
Old May 16th, 2017, 01:57:53 PM   #5
wrlord
Statue Marvels Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
The forum may be deader than Jane Doe, but it still has a prohibition against political discussion of any kind.
I believe any continuing conversation on what you've posted cannot help but devolve into politics.
Posting an article from a conservative periodical that mentions Andrew Breitbart and "truth" in the same sentence can easily be seen as offensive by some, so you're already crossing boundaries here.
You may feel that it's all in good fun and an effort to liven up the discussion on the forum, but nibbling at the edges of banned subject matter on Statue Marvels is ill advised and will only lead to this thread being deleted without notice if any political motivation becomes apparent.
Fair warning.
Dude. Ignore the source for a moment. The entire point was that such figures should be APOLITICAL. I thought you of all people would appreciate that. But if you need to get hung up on the source of the article, hey, whatever rocks your world. But way to come at this thing from an exact measuring of 180 degrees out. Kudos.
wrlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2017, 06:41:10 PM   #6
TrueFaith

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrlord View Post
Dude. Ignore the source for a moment. The entire point was that such figures should be APOLITICAL. I thought you of all people would appreciate that. But if you need to get hung up on the source of the article, hey, whatever rocks your world. But way to come at this thing from an exact measuring of 180 degrees out. Kudos.
If being APOLITICAL is your intent, it might be a good idea not to post articles that contain the words "politics" and "political" in virtually every paragraph.
Just sayin'.
Old May 27th, 2017, 06:32:42 PM   #7
REL
Statue Marvels Royalty

I agree with the sentiments expressed in the article, that Cap is about the good ideals that America stands for. Sadly, there is a segment of society that doesn't see much good about America and her history as they have chosen to focus on the negative parts of our past (which certainly exists, but not in a vacuum apart from the good).

Not everyone is a good writer for Cap and can write his without being either too overtly political or portraying him as such a good guy that he's either corny or a overly righteous jerk.

I recall liking Brubaker's Cap whose few political statements were pretty decent (I loved his anti-Ultimates Cap positive comments about the bravery of the WWII resistance French). Bunn's Cap run was brief and Cap was more action hero than anything else. Remender IMHO didn't get Cap and I think it really hurt his run. I haven't read Richard Spencer's fascist Cap run yet. I'm kind of dreading it to be honest but I'll read though it eventually.
REL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2017, 07:49:40 PM   #8
Mister H
Statue Marvels Royalty

Good point REL. That's the beauty of the really iconic characters like Cap or Spidey or Batman or Superman, the writer really needs to understand the history of why the character is so great and build upon that instead of trying to be the "revolutionary" new writer who takes the character to a new place. Brubaker understood Cap and made a truly historic run because I could see Cap doing all that Brubaker had him do and say. This Hydra-Cap is just a mess that's completely unnecessary.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote