Sideshow Thor Marvel Statue
Spider-Man
Amazon Home Page
Bowen Statues
Sideshow on eBay
Sideshow Collectibles Thanos on Throne Maquette
XM Studios
General-Marvel Collectibles

Go Back   STATUE M A R V E L S > DC COLLECTIBLES FORMERLY DC DIRECT > DC COLLECTIBLES: STATUE FORUM

Thread Starter TrueFaith Replies 15 Views 1935  Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscription
share |
share topic

Old October 21st, 2016, 11:38:43 PM   #1
TrueFaith

Default My Lousy Experience With DC Collectables

I've been a customer of www.shopdcentertainment.com for years now, primarily because of my life long obsession with Green Lantern.
I've purchased everything from t-shirts to statues and everything in between from them for as long as I can remember.
I'm on their email notification list and receive regular, even daily, emails from them pushing their products.
On September 27, 2016 I received an email alerting me to a "Warehouse Moving Sale" offering "up to 60% off select items".
One of those items was the DC Icons Green Lantern statue that normally retails for $99.95, on sale for the astonishing price of $49.95.
Not having this statue in my Green Lantern collection yet and with a price like that, you can bet I jumped on it and ordered it immediately.
In a matter of minutes I received an email from them confirming Order #P12862381.

DC Comics Icons Green Lantern Statue
Item# GLDCSTAT13
Ships within 1 business day.

The next day my credit card was charged $56.97 for the statue I had ordered plus "standard shipping".

After 3 days of waiting for shipping confirmation, which still hadn't arrived yet, I called customer service.
I was told that the statue I had ordered (and that I had been charged for) was "out of stock". They would inquire about my order to the warehouse and I should call back in 72 hours for an update.
72 hours later I was told that the warehouse "hasn't responded yet" and to call back "in a few days".
By now a week had passed since I placed my order.
More days pass, another call to customer service, more promises to "look into it" and another suggestion to call back in a few days.
Today is October 21, 2016. 25 days since I placed my order and 24 days since my credit card was charged. Long enough that I have already paid the monthly credit card bill that the charge appeared on.
When I called customer service at www.shopdcentertainment today I gave them the order number once again and was told "the order was cancelled".
"By whom?" I asked, because "It certainly wasn't me who cancelled it."
Their response was "The item is sold out and no longer available".
I was then told - and I kid you not - "I guess I'll have to issue a credit to your credit card account", which sounded more to me like "darn, too bad you called back. Now we won't be able to keep your money and I'll actually have to do some work today and issue a credit to return your money".
As if I wasn't PO'ed enough at that point, I was told "you'll probably receive it next Tuesday". Gee...you mean I only have to wait 4 MORE days for you to return the $56.97 you've been sitting on for almost a month? THANKS!!!
I'm sorry, but there is virtually nothing about this experience that is not maddeningly pathetic and it really has me wondering why I've patronized this company for as long as I have.

Oh and just for good measure, I just sent this post verbatim to DC Collectables, informing them that it has been posted in the "DC Collectables" section of our internet comics statue discussion forum, as a warning to our membership who spend thousands of their hard-earned dollars to maintain large collections of DC and Marvel statues.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old October 22nd, 2016, 01:10:52 AM   #2
Smashdaddy
Marvel MOD

This is horrid. I'm sorry to hear you went through the horse sh*t Wayne.

There's just nothing sacred about good customer service anymore. While it takes good training and effort to be top notch, it doesn't take too much effort to just be "good".

Check out my Marvemania collection!: http://www.statuemarvels.com/f524/sm...ion-25876.html
Smashdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2016, 09:07:52 AM   #3
97thAcolyte
Statue Marvels Trend Setter

Wow that sucks. Sorry to hear that. It really doesn't take that much effort to do, surely. And when they're dealing with people who are giving them money, you'd think they'd care more...
97thAcolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2016, 10:20:44 AM   #4
TrueFaith

There are just SO many things wrong with this transaction.
1.) If the item was "sold out", I never should have been able to add it to my "cart". If an item is in your "cart" it's supposed to stay there reserved until you either purchase it or cancel the transaction.
I very much feel like they removed it from my cart and sold it to someone else while I was busy completing the order process.
2.) If the item was "sold out", I never should have been able to complete the order process.
3.) If the item was "sold out", I never should have been able to approve a charge to my credit card for an item that was no longer in stock.
4.) If the item was "sold out" I should have been informed of this immediately and my money quickly refunded. Not told it would "ship within 1 day".
5.) 3 or 4 different "customer service" reps had to have seen the disparity in my order when I called to inquire. Instead I was strung along for almost a month with excuses.
6.) Why was it contingent on ME to follow up on this order and have to ASK for a credit instead of it being done immediately on discovery that this item was no longer available?
This whole thing was bungled from the get-go and it has me questioning if that Green Lantern statue was ever really available at that price.
It makes me wonder if it was simply part of a "bait and switch" scheme to draw you into their "Warehouse Moving Sale" hoping you'd buy several items only to inform you that the item that got you interested in the sale in the first place "is no longer available".
When I order something online, I at least expect the minimum amount of competence you'd expect from a Walmart or Amazon.
Old October 22nd, 2016, 10:31:31 AM   #5
Tarasadies
Statue Marvels Royalty

I had a similar experience with Bowen once (yes, you read that right) only with one huge difference...

I ordered an item that ended up being out of stock. 48 hours later I got an email apologizing. While I was disappointed the big difference here is that my credit card was never charged. I can't believe that the company did not reimburse you immediately after finding out the product was not in stock... disappointing to say the least...

One More Statue and I am Done

1) Moon Knight - White
Tarasadies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2016, 02:14:57 PM   #6
Blindzider
Statue Marvels Royalty

I try to give some leeway to companies, because sometimes mistakes are made, but that's all forgiven when there is an attempt to make up for it. This certainly sounds like they don't deserve any more of your (or anyone's) business.

You were more patient than I was. I usually dispute charges like that fairly quickly when something seems wrong.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Buy a copy of my photo book! Details HERE.

Statue Marvels Threads:
Statue Photography | Collection Room

Blindzider Photography: Superheroes | Statues | Art
Buy @ Pixels | Follow @ Flickr | Like @ Facebook
-------------------------------------------------------------
Blindzider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2016, 04:25:40 PM   #7
TrueFaith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindzider View Post
You were more patient than I was. I usually dispute charges like that fairly quickly when something seems wrong.
I was really hoping that I'd finally receive the damn statue I ordered and as a result I probably gave them more leeway than they deserved, Joe.
The 50% discount was so surprising that as soon as I didn't get the shipping confirmation when expected, my first thought was "if something sounds too good to be true...."
I'm a pretty cynical guy on a good day, but when dealing with a company as big as DC Collectables, your thoughts shouldn't have to be wandering to suspicions that maybe that sale price was a mistake on their part and they were just covering it up by claiming to anyone who ordered it that it was "out of stock".
It's shown as "sold out" at the full retail price on their website now, but how few must they have had available for the "sale" in the first place? And why would you discount an item that was selling so well that it was almost completely sold out at the time of the sale?
So much of this makes no sense that it's hard not to think in "conspiracy" terms when a simple routine purchase goes THIS badly.
Old October 22nd, 2016, 06:16:56 PM   #8
Smashdaddy
Marvel MOD

Do you guys remember Wizard Magazine?

They had a "store" that would regularly have sales b/c they always ridiculously overcharges and finally things had to go on sale.

Towards the end of their lifespan, they had a fire sale going - holy moley, what a cluster that was. I can't remember what it was I was trying to get, but I literally talked to 3 people over there in the span of a few weeks. Each was just as nice and as cool at the next, but as it turned out - they were laying people off at such a rate, each person I spoke to was let go, so it went to the next person, then to the next.

Finally, and luckily, I wasn't charged for anything since they didn't have what they said they had on the site. NOT ONLY that...but they had the audacity to still sell "Wizard" gift certificates.

It was a sh*tshow towards the end of that one. Adios.
Smashdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2016, 07:06:08 PM   #9
TrueFaith

I certainly do remember Wizard, Ken.
Kinda funny when you think about it. A magazine devoted to taking advantage of all the 1990s comics fans who were already being taken advantage of by the comic companies and all their #1 issues, "gimmick" covers and ridiculous price increases. LOL.
Seems like every issue had some sort of "extra" or mail-away item designed to make you part with even more of your money. Or they would include a "#0 issue" or a "preview" comic that your run of the hottest new book on the stands just wouldn't be complete without. And then they started shipping it in a plastic bag so you couldn't even see how cheesy their "FREE", "INSIDE", "EXCLUSIVE!" piece of do do that month really was before buying.
That "magazine" was like a lesson in hyperbole and shady point-of-sale advertising tactics with every issue.
They really perfected things when they came out with "Toy Fare" magazine to capitalize on the action figure craze though. With every issue you could order some poorly-done POS "action figure" that was barely worth the price of shipping, let alone the $6-$15 they'd charge for it. But if you didn't order it you were going to "MISS OUT! and your action figure collection would NEVER be complete without that Golden Man or Hamburger Head variant action figure. I remember that most of them were so small and badly done that you wouldn't want to allow them be seen with the rest of your collection anyway!
Ahhhh.....fun times.
Old October 25th, 2016, 11:22:22 PM   #10
impossiblepie
Statue Marvels Royalty

sounds like someone forgot to mark it as sold out or just lazy.
impossiblepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2016, 06:13:54 PM   #11
TrueFaith

Thought I'd give an update to close out this thread and the tale of my lousy DC experience.
As it turned out I didn't get the credit posted to my card for a full 7 days after I last spoke to DC "customer service". I was just about to call them again to find out what the hold up was, when it finally showed up.
Talk about adding insult to injury.
To date I've received NO response from DC, even though my emailed complaint received a reference number when I logged it. They probably figured why even try and apologize at this point.
I've been watching eBay for a good deal on the Green Lantern Icons statue since I wrote off ever getting one from DC. As it happens, DCBS listed one last week for only a few dollars more than the sale price of the one that DC screwed me over on.
I've dealt with DCBS many times for Bowen products in the past and they've always been great, so I'm sure I'll have a MUCH better experience with them than I had with DC. I'm sure it will be well worth the few extra bucks I have to pay in the long run to add the statue to my collection.
Old November 1st, 2016, 07:47:51 PM   #12
Blindzider
Statue Marvels Royalty

Glad to hear that at least your refund has been resolved, Wayne. Now you can at least separate from them cleanly unless you want them to throw in something more.

They will be a long forgotten memory once you get one of those statues in your hands.
Old November 2nd, 2016, 06:52:17 PM   #13
TrueFaith

I can't believe I just received this email from shopdcentertainment.com.
OMG where is the "faceplant" emoji?

Dear Wayne,

Thanks for your recent order at ShopDCEntertainment.com. We hope you’re happy with your purchase! Like many of our customers, you may have found customer reviews helpful while you were shopping. We'd like to invite you to add your own review! Simply click on the Review button below the item you purchased to give the product a star rating, and to add your own comments. Thanks!

Yeah , they got a "customer review" alright.
Old November 2nd, 2016, 07:20:50 PM   #14
Blindzider
Statue Marvels Royalty

After the experience you had, I relish an opportunity like this. I would definitely give a rating and bad comment. This is probably your best chance to get something from them, although usually it's only a discount on your next order, which I personally would be done doing business with them.
Old November 3rd, 2016, 06:10:07 AM   #15
TrueFaith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindzider View Post
After the experience you had, I relish an opportunity like this. I would definitely give a rating and bad comment. This is probably your best chance to get something from them, although usually it's only a discount on your next order, which I personally would be done doing business with them.
Yeah, Joe. When they're this clueless you can at least have some fun with payback.
I left a scathing "review" and checked all their boxes, including "Pros: NONE" and "Cons: MANY".
Old May 15th, 2017, 02:13:05 AM   #16
BUZZYBEAN
Statue Marvels Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by truefaith View Post
i've been a customer of www.shopdcentertainment.com for years now, primarily because of my life long obsession with green lantern.
I've purchased everything from t-shirts to statues and everything in between from them for as long as i can remember.
I'm on their email notification list and receive regular, even daily, emails from them pushing their products.
On september 27, 2016 i received an email alerting me to a "warehouse moving sale" offering "up to 60% off select items".
One of those items was the dc icons green lantern statue that normally retails for $99.95, on sale for the astonishing price of $49.95.
Not having this statue in my green lantern collection yet and with a price like that, you can bet i jumped on it and ordered it immediately.
In a matter of minutes i received an email from them confirming order #p12862381.

Dc comics icons green lantern statue
item# gldcstat13
ships within 1 business day.

The next day my credit card was charged $56.97 for the statue i had ordered plus "standard shipping".

After 3 days of waiting for shipping confirmation, which still hadn't arrived yet, i called customer service.
I was told that the statue i had ordered (and that i had been charged for) was "out of stock". They would inquire about my order to the warehouse and i should call back in 72 hours for an update.
72 hours later i was told that the warehouse "hasn't responded yet" and to call back "in a few days".
By now a week had passed since i placed my order.
More days pass, another call to customer service, more promises to "look into it" and another suggestion to call back in a few days.
Today is october 21, 2016. 25 days since i placed my order and 24 days since my credit card was charged. Long enough that i have already paid the monthly credit card bill that the charge appeared on.
When i called customer service at www.shopdcentertainment today i gave them the order number once again and was told "the order was cancelled".
"by whom?" i asked, because "it certainly wasn't me who cancelled it."
their response was "the item is sold out and no longer available".
I was then told - and i kid you not - "i guess i'll have to issue a credit to your credit card account", which sounded more to me like "darn, too bad you called back. Now we won't be able to keep your money and i'll actually have to do some work today and issue a credit to return your money".
As if i wasn't po'ed enough at that point, i was told "you'll probably receive it next tuesday". Gee...you mean i only have to wait 4 more days for you to return the $56.97 you've been sitting on for almost a month? Thanks!!!
I'm sorry, but there is virtually nothing about this experience that is not maddeningly pathetic and it really has me wondering why i've patronized this company for as long as i have.

oh and just for good measure, i just sent this post verbatim to dc collectables, informing them that it has been posted in the "dc collectables" section of our internet comics statue discussion forum, as a warning to our membership who spend thousands of their hard-earned dollars to maintain large collections of dc and marvel statues.
tl/dr

BUZZYBEAN: First person ever to be banned on Statue Forum. Now kneel.
BUZZYBEAN is offline   Reply With Quote