Help Support SM:

Sideshow Collectibles Thanos on Throne Maquette
Site Support
Spider-Man
Sideshow on eBay
Sideshow Iron Man Mark III Maquette
Bowen Statues
XM Studios

Go Back   STATUE M A R V E L S > KOTOBUKIYA FINE ARTS MARVEL DC STAR WARS COLLECTIBLES > KOTOBUKIYA FINE ARTS: STATUE FORUM

Thread Starter Mister H Replies 11 Views 3687  Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscription
share |
share topic

Old May 12th, 2017, 10:31:48 AM   #1
Mister H
Statue Marvels Royalty

Default Kotobukiya Captain America ArtFX Statue

Looking pretty good. Classic costume and everything!

Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 12th, 2017, 12:42:06 PM   #2
Mister H
Statue Marvels Royalty

This is the new ArtFX statue. 1/6 scale, in PVC. Will be similar in scale with the recent Flash and Green Lantern statues. IMO, this Cap will be better. Just pre-ordered him and plan to display next to the upcoming Armored Thor from Diamond.
Old May 12th, 2017, 02:23:09 PM   #3
Tarasadies
Statue Marvels Royalty

Am I the only one who prefers the costume boots over the combat style boots?

One More Statue and I am Done

1) Moon Knight - White
Tarasadies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2017, 04:38:19 PM   #4
mmk123
Statue Marvels Royalty

I hate the combat boots and hopefully they will go away soon

Hoping for a Phase 6 with FS Statues of the following

Nighthawk
Moondragon
Mantis
Polaris and Havok (new ones need to be made because the Bowen ones are too expensive now)
The Red Guardian (The Defenders member-this one is a longshot)
and a REALLY GOOD Phoenix Museum Pose statue
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2017, 07:41:13 PM   #5
TrueFaith

Very nice.
If it's similar in size, quality and price of the Green Lantern statue, I will definitely be adding this Cap to my collection!
(And it really makes me wonder if by the time Randy returns, he'd consider switching from resin to PVC. It certainly does seem to keep the price down, which was always one of his biggest concerns.)
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2017, 07:46:56 PM   #6
mmk123
Statue Marvels Royalty

I have a question about Resin vs PVC. Is there a difference to the look of the statue? For instance, would the colors on a Resin statue look different if the same color was used on a PVC statue.
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2017, 09:17:16 PM   #7
97thAcolyte
Statue Marvels Trend Setter

Looks nice. It's cool to see these cheaper 1/6th statues, but part of me thinks it'll saturate the market, and people just won't pay the higher price for the higher quality limited releases...
97thAcolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2017, 10:34:14 AM   #8
TrueFaith

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmk123 View Post
I have a question about Resin vs PVC. Is there a difference to the look of the statue? For instance, would the colors on a Resin statue look different if the same color was used on a PVC statue.
No difference that I can see. The biggest difference is weight. The PVC statues are very light and that can be a problem for some collectors who like their statues to have a bit of "heft" to them.
Paint on my Green Lantern are a bit "flatter" than a typical Bowen, but I think that's more of a choice by Koto than any limitation. There's no reason they couldn't use a glossier paint.
Old May 13th, 2017, 12:04:36 PM   #9
Tarasadies
Statue Marvels Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmk123 View Post

I collected PVC before switching to big boy statues. I don't think the colors on PVC come even close to resin. I sold my Invincible and other PVC statues once I started adding Bowens to my collection because of the difference in paint quality. Not size, not sculpts, strictly because of the paints...

Now I have to admit, I have seen a few Kotobukiya PVC pieces that I thought the paint was fine on. But I still don't think they match resin...

Last edited by Tarasadies; May 13th, 2017 at 12:07:27 PM..
Tarasadies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2017, 06:48:02 PM   #10
TrueFaith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarasadies View Post

I collected PVC before switching to big boy statues. I don't think the colors on PVC come even close to resin. I sold my Invincible and other PVC statues once I started adding Bowens to my collection because of the difference in paint quality. Not size, not sculpts, strictly because of the paints...

Now I have to admit, I have just don't think that a few Kotobukiya PVC pieces that I thought the paint was fine on. But I still don't think they match resin...
I think a very large part of that can be attributed to Bowen and other high-end statue manufacturer's attention to detail and added value. If Bowen statues were painted like most PVCs they wouldn't appear to be anywhere near as high quality as they are. I just don't think as much consideration is given to the paints on cheaper statues as ones costing two or three times as much.
The difference between a Koto ArtFX PVC statue like Green Lantern and a resin Fine Art one like Black Panther or Vision is obvious, but I think it has more to do with keeping costs down than what's possible for them to do.
There's no reason why the same paints on the Fine Arts line cant be used on their ArtFX statues other than expense. The PVC statues probably take a lot less prep for painting, whereas resin statues that use expensive paints require a good primer coat first. In BD's case even the color of the primer base coat you don't see has a big effect on the appearance of the final coat of paint. And I don't see a whole lot of metallic paints being used on PVC statues, probably for the same reason. Basically you get what you pay for and people who don't want to spend hundreds on a statue seem okay with that. Until, like you, they start wanting something a little better of course.
Old May 13th, 2017, 10:16:12 PM   #11
Mister H
Statue Marvels Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
In BD's case even the color of the primer base coat you don't see has a big effect on the appearance of the final coat of paint. And I don't see a whole lot of metallic paints being used on PVC statues, probably for the same reason.
Agreed...case in point would be the Bowen Classic Museum Iron Man. The paints on that statue are fantastic. I see a few minute flaws (for me anyway) in the sculpt, but the paints kind of take your eyes away from those flaws. I think I read somewhere that they put a metallic black down first then put on the metallic reds and coated with a high gloss. That would be a lot of work for a PVC statue IMO.

Last edited by Mister H; May 13th, 2017 at 10:20:04 PM..
Old June 6th, 2017, 07:01:06 PM   #12
statue-man
Statue Marvels Royalty

The Sculptor is Naoya Muto. This information came from an E-mail from Taku Tokioka at Kotobukiya
statue-man is offline   Reply With Quote