Help Support SM:

Sideshow DC Comics Zatanna DC Comics Premium Format(TM) Figure
Sideshow on eBay
General-Marvel Collectibles
Spider-Man
DC Comics Harley Quinn DC Comics Maquette
Amazon Home Page
Bowen Statues

Go Back   STATUE M A R V E L S > THE SPINNER RACK - Comic Book Related > CLASSIC MARVEL COMICS 1960s-1980s PICS & DISCUSSIONS > ORIGINAL WESTERN GHOST RIDER FORUM

Thread Starter predator31 Replies 19 Views 19194  Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscription
share |
share topic

Old January 17th, 2014, 02:16:33 AM   #1
predator31
Statue Marvels Store QC

Default Why Predator31 Loves The Western Ghost Rider So Much

Me with a nice amount of my Western Ghost Rider Collection

So a couple people wanted to know my story on how I found The Western Ghost Rider and why I love him so much... Well here is everything you need to know

When I started collecting comics I liked all your generic characters like Spider-man, Wolverine, Batman, Captain America, and The Hulk. All of these mentiond characters I love, I'm not talking bad on them, just these are most characters everyone loves. I have always had a love for comics but I didn't really start collecting them until I was 13, I'm 22 now. So when i really started collecting I would go to different comic shops and pick up old back issues. That's when I found the 90's Danny Ketch Ghost Rider and thought he was awesome. My Birthday is Halloween so any scary character or well a character with a flaming skull for a head is most likely something I'm gonna be into lol. I knew of that Ghost Rider many years before but i never had any of his comics until then and that's when I started to learn about him. Then from comic shops I learned of local cons like one that in Essington Pensilvania near the airport. That's when I found The Johnny Blaze Ghost Rider books from the 70's and 80's. I started picking those up.(I finished my full run last year of all 81 issues) Now here is where The Western Ghost Rider comes into play. I was 15 and I found about this local Comic Con Wizard World Philly, I asked my parents if we could go. My parents ordered the tickets and off we went. I was amazed when I got there I couldn't believe how many people were there. Mid way through the con my Dad and I were looking at this huge booth full of comics and there it was Ghost Rider issue one from 1967. I was very shy back then so I pointed it out to my dad and he asked the guy if we could see the book. I knew of the other incarnations of The Ghost Rider but I never saw that one before, I never knew he even existed. I was staring at the cover thinking how cool the blue shading was on him and how he actually looked like a ghost, I really liked that he was riding a horse and holding six shooters. the thought of The Ghost Rider in the wild west was awesome to me. The comic was $10.00 so I asked my dad if I could get it and my dad bought it for me. On the way home I read it and I was just mesmerized by it. I just loved the costume and the different tricks he would use and just how different he was than any other character I had seen. I loved how obscure he was. From that moment on The Western Ghost Rider has been my number one character. Once I got home after Wizard World I went online to do some research and started to learn more about my new favorite character The Western Ghost Rider. So around 8 years have passed since I first found out about The Western Ghost rider and I have managed to create a pretty nice size collection of Western Ghost Rider memorbilia. From comics and artist commissions all the way down to old fanzines and slurpee cups. I know there is still plenty more Western Ghost Rider stuff out there, I just have to find it lol! My goal is to have the largest most extensive Western Ghost Rider Collection in the world!
Well there you go, my little biography on my love for The Western Gost Rider
Hope you enjoyed it

Western Ghost Rider on Horseback 2014

Also Check Out The Original Western Ghost Rider Section!!!! http://www.statuemarvels.com/f552/

Last edited by predator31; January 17th, 2014 at 03:18:50 AM..
predator31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old January 17th, 2014, 02:22:36 AM   #2
HoldyourfireAl
Administrator

AWESOME pic!!!!

Join the Statue Marvels Facebook Group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/Statuemarvels/
HoldyourfireAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2014, 02:23:13 AM   #3
HoldyourfireAl
Administrator

After we get through all these Bowen orders & things calm down, I gotta shoot your room!
HoldyourfireAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2014, 02:25:01 AM   #4
predator31
Statue Marvels Store QC

Haha thanks and for sure we def have to!
Also one thing that would make this pic better is if I was wearing the 50's Western Ghost Rider mail away mask lol
Old January 17th, 2014, 03:42:34 AM   #5
predator31
Statue Marvels Store QC

Oh also Al maybe we can take a better pic for this thread with more of my collection I it
Old January 17th, 2014, 09:25:36 AM   #6
Blindzider
Statue Marvels Royalty

I agree, Al. Fantastic pic!

Really nice story predator31! Thank you so much for sharing.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Buy a copy of my photo book! Details HERE.

Statue Marvels Threads:
Statue Photography | Collection Room

Blindzider Photography: Superheroes | Statues | Art
Buy @ Pixels | Follow @ Flickr | Like @ Facebook
-------------------------------------------------------------
Blindzider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2014, 11:13:42 AM   #7
predator31
Statue Marvels Store QC

No problem I'm happy you enjoyed it!!!
Old January 17th, 2014, 01:02:59 PM   #8
rome
Statue Marvels Royalty

Cool story.. It's interesting what attract and captures our attentions.
rome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2014, 03:38:51 AM   #9
predator31
Statue Marvels Store QC

Bump
Old January 20th, 2014, 12:34:47 AM   #10
predator31
Statue Marvels Store QC

Bump
Old January 20th, 2014, 08:58:04 AM   #11
TrueFaith

I remember feeling the same way about Two-Gun Kid when I first started collecting comics. That was back in the early 1960s and most of my friends were freaking out about the new Marvel comics that were showing up in drug store spinner racks like The Avengers and X-Men. I liked those books too, but what really grabbed my interest was when I'd spot a copy of Kid Colt, Outlaw or Two-Gun Kid.
It seemed back then that Marvel's western comics were ordered in smaller amounts and were a little harder to find. I could go to several places in a day and only find one or two, and back issues were never in the batch of last month's shipments.
Westerns were still big on TV and in movies, but all the kids I knew were only interested in super heroes and I think the shop owners knew that and ordered less westerns.
It was my own little specialty for a while since none of my friends had much interest in anything but the latest spandex-wearing super-powered characters.
I think the reason I liked Two-Gun Kid so much was that I grew up watching 1950s television and westerns were everywhere. Two-Gun Kid just seemed like a much cooler version of The Lone Ranger to me.
My favorite show (and first exposure to a masked "super hero") was Disney's ZORRO. It set up an obsession with masked heroes I've never quite gotten over. Disney's weekly "Disneyland" show regularly had characters like Texas John Slaughter, Doctor Syn (The Scarecrow) and The Swamp Fox (which were just western variations). Warner Brothers had several shows on every week like "Cheyenne", "Sugarfoot", "Lawman", "Colt 45" and "Bronco". There wasn't a night that passed without sitting in front of the TV to watch one western hero or another. So I guess I was pre-disposed to like those Marvel western titles.
When I found out about The Original Ghost Rider after collecting comics for a while I thought he was the coolest western hero EVER. Not only was he a vigilante gunfighter who righted wrongs, but he looked and acted like the costumed super heroes that were in all the other comics. He was the best of both worlds and became an instant favorite of mine, which he remains to this day.
So your "obsession" with Original Ghost Rider makes perfect sense to me.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2014, 04:32:15 PM   #12
predator31
Statue Marvels Store QC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
I remember feeling the same way about Two-Gun Kid when I first started collecting comics. That was back in the early 1960s and most of my friends were freaking out about the new Marvel comics that were showing up in drug store spinner racks like The Avengers and X-Men. I liked those books too, but what really grabbed my interest was when I'd spot a copy of Kid Colt, Outlaw or Two-Gun Kid.
It seemed back then that Marvel's western comics were ordered in smaller amounts and were a little harder to find. I could go to several places in a day and only find one or two, and back issues were never in the batch of last month's shipments.
Westerns were still big on TV and in movies, but all the kids I knew were only interested in super heroes and I think the shop owners knew that and ordered less westerns.
It was my own little specialty for a while since none of my friends had much interest in anything but the latest spandex-wearing super-powered characters.
I think the reason I liked Two-Gun Kid so much was that I grew up watching 1950s television and westerns were everywhere. Two-Gun Kid just seemed like a much cooler version of The Lone Ranger to me.
My favorite show (and first exposure to a masked "super hero") was Disney's ZORRO. It set up an obsession with masked heroes I've never quite gotten over. Disney's weekly "Disneyland" show regularly had characters like Texas John Slaughter, Doctor Syn (The Scarecrow) and The Swamp Fox (which were just western variations). Warner Brothers had several shows on every week like "Cheyenne", "Sugarfoot", "Lawman", "Colt 45" and "Bronco". There wasn't a night that passed without sitting in front of the TV to watch one western hero or another. So I guess I was pre-disposed to like those Marvel western titles.
When I found out about The Original Ghost Rider after collecting comics for a while I thought he was the coolest western hero EVER. Not only was he a vigilante gunfighter who righted wrongs, but he looked and acted like the costumed super heroes that were in all the other comics. He was the best of both worlds and became an instant favorite of mine, which he remains to this day.
So your "obsession" with Original Ghost Rider makes perfect sense to me.
That is a great story! I agree with you about the western comics being harder to find. In the 70's they had the series Western Gunfighters and those aren't the easiest to find at all. And it's very true about the stores only buying a few because kids didn't care about westerns when you could read about guys that can fly, shoot webs, and turn into giant monsters. I'm happy to hear about other people that have such a love for the Original Ghost Rider! Do you have any of the Ghost Rider issues from the 50's?
Old January 20th, 2014, 05:58:08 PM   #13
TrueFaith

Quote:
Originally Posted by predator31 View Post
That is a great story! I agree with you about the western comics being harder to find. In the 70's they had the series Western Gunfighters and those aren't the easiest to find at all. And it's very true about the stores only buying a few because kids didn't care about westerns when you could read about guys that can fly, shoot webs, and turn into giant monsters. I'm happy to hear about other people that have such a love for the Original Ghost Rider! Do you have any of the Ghost Rider issues from the 50's?
Alas, I sold my entire collection of 50s and 60s comics ages ago. I only had a couple with Ghost Rider/Phantom Rider stories.
Now all I have is boxes and boxes of worthless 80s and 90s comics stacked to the ceilings.
I remember Western Gunfighters although I never saw many stores carrying the title. Even rarer were the DC titles like "Western Comics" and "All-Star Western". Those I never saw unless I was visiting someone in another part of the country! I remember going on vacation in Florida one year and finding all sorts of western titles that I brought back with me.
I used to see Charlton Comics westerns like "Billy the Kid" and Cheyenne Kid" from time to time, but only because kids were grabbing the costumed heroes like Ditko's Captain Atom and Frank McLaughlin's Judomaster and leaving the westerns behind in the spinner racks.
I can understand why Marvel's westerns weren't as popular as their superhero stuff, but artists like Dick Ayers and John Romita did some of their best work in those comics!
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 02:28:41 AM   #14
predator31
Statue Marvels Store QC

I'm sorry to hear that about having to sell your 50's and 60's books. Even today it's hard to find the Western Gunfighters I have all the issuers with the Ghost Rider . I maybe see 1 or 2 at conventions and never see them in any shops around me. I'm happy I was able to get the Ghost Rider issues though! And I agree about Dick Ayers he really did great westerns!!!!
Old January 23rd, 2014, 04:14:42 AM   #15
MutantXavier
Statue Marvels Royalty

Cool story. You should be in guiness!

:::WAITLISTS from the 90s:::

Colossus
Gambit
Jubilee
Dazzler
Havok
MutantXavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2014, 10:08:45 AM   #16
predator31
Statue Marvels Store QC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantXavier View Post
Cool story. You should be in guiness!
Hahaha that would be pretty cool lol
Old March 26th, 2014, 01:07:24 AM   #17
predator31
Statue Marvels Store QC

Figured I would bump this get more attention to the the Western Ghost Rider ha!
Old April 23rd, 2014, 11:02:30 PM   #18
vwstobbe
Statue Marvels Royalty

Fingers crossed we get a phase six for Bowen Designs and he can finally make you that Western Ghost Rider on horseback he sneaked a sketch of.
vwstobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2014, 08:44:00 PM   #19
NinjaMitche'
Statue Marvels Trend Setter

I too share a love of the Western Ghost Rider. Mine, like yours, stems from the 1990's Ghost Rider, Danny Ketch. I was first introduced to Ghost Rider in the 1990's and it was that series that cemented my love of all things Ghost Rider. Except the movies. I don't like those. Those were garbage except for Sam Elliot and Idris Elba.

It was through Danny Ketch that I discovered the history of previous Ghost Riders including yours truly, Carter Slade. Johnny Blaze is my least favorite Ghost Rider. Danny is #1 and then Slade as #2.

I have since acquired a copy of Marvel's The Ghost Rider #1 along with #4 and #5. I also have an issue of Western Gunfighters. I also have aspirations to get all the other issues with the Western Ghost Rider in them, at least the ones by Marvel. I would LOVE to find one from the 1950's!

You are not alone in your love of this amazing western hero.
NinjaMitche' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2015, 01:19:55 AM   #20
predator31
Statue Marvels Store QC

I love to see other people love the ghost rider like I do! It's the best!!