Site Support
Sideshow on eBay
Bowen Statues
General-Marvel Collectibles
DC Comics Harley Quinn DC Comics Maquette
Amazon Home Page
Sideshow Collectibles Thanos on Throne Maquette

Go Back   STATUE M A R V E L S > OTHER STATUE FORUM > OTHER COLLECTIBLES

Thread Starter sash501 Replies 12 Views 235  Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscription
share |
share topic

Old December 1st, 2017, 02:35:38 PM   #1
sash501
Statue Marvels Royalty

Default Prime 1 is the New Company to Watch . . . So why don't we talk more

Hey all.

I know this forum hasn't really been getting much love since the Bowen departure, but that definitely needs to be corrected.

Are the long time members no longer collecting? I know that I have pretty much stopped for the past year or so. Had to sell a bit to get a prepaid college program in place, but that's all done and I have picked up something here and there.

If weren't going to get this site back up to par, maybe some focus on new companies and let go of some old. Old example, ARH, which doesn't seem to be doing much these days. And new . . . holy geez is anyone following Prime 1!! I picked up the Miller Bats and it is insane.

Prime 1 also is showing pics of their upcoming Batman and Superman Hush statues. I know the statue game has gotten out of control with pricing the past two years, but I view that as making the one or two you get a year that much more special.

So here's the challenge. Whatever you got, let's get back to posting pics, and lets get back to posting pics of new stuff from new companies that are being shown at conventions.

I'll try to post some things next week and also do a Black Friday Haul thread . . . I got one that I have been waiting for a price drop on for two years and thought it was completely gone . . . so pumped to share with y'all.

let's get back to the chatter!!!

Sash's Bowen Collection Thread

If you see the collection thread in new posts, it's because new pics have been added.
sash501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old December 1st, 2017, 04:42:38 PM   #2
mmk123
Statue Marvels Royalty

I definitely agree with Erik here. I have not been the best about posting pics. It would be nice to see what people's collections look like now and changes that have been made.

Hoping for a Phase 6 with FS Statues of the following

Nighthawk
Moondragon
Mantis
Polaris and Havok (new ones need to be made because the Bowen ones are too expensive now)
The Red Guardian (The Defenders member-this one is a longshot)
and a REALLY GOOD Phoenix Museum Pose statue
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2017, 11:52:31 PM   #3
Mister H
Statue Marvels Royalty

Hell to the yeah. I’ve been slowly selling off my non-essential Bowen’s to make room for some Sideshow, Prime 1 and Iron Studio stuff. When Tweeterhead really gets the Superpowers line going, we should see a big jump in posts here. As mentioned before, they seem to be the ones who will fill Randy’s shoes. (For a while anyway) I will try to get some reviews going for a few recent acquisitions as well.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2017, 11:21:34 AM   #4
Tarasadies
Statue Marvels Royalty

I have really scaled back on the statue buying, although I have picked up a few DC statues I have been real happy with (Dark Knight, Superman vs Darkseid, Batman vs Killer Croc). I need to start taking pics and sharing some... good thread sash...

One More Statue and I am Done

1) Moon Knight - White
Tarasadies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2017, 12:30:32 AM   #5
Blindzider
Statue Marvels Royalty

Yeah, even though XM and Prime 1 are way beyond my price and space availability, I enjoy looking at pics and when they are added to people's collection.

I think next year Tweeterhead will really ramp up their output and get people excited and talking.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Buy a copy of my photo book! Details HERE.

Statue Marvels Threads:
Statue Photography | Collection Room

Blindzider Photography: Superheroes | Statues | Art
Buy @ Pixels | Follow @ Flickr | Like @ Facebook
-------------------------------------------------------------
Blindzider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2017, 07:40:44 AM   #6
TrueFaith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindzider View Post
Yeah, even though XM and Prime 1 are way beyond my price and space availability, I enjoy looking at pics and when they are added to people's collection.

I think next year Tweeterhead will really ramp up their output and get people excited and talking.
Well I think that's the crux of the problem, Joe.
When Bowen was producing there was new product every month, if not every few weeks, and that product was actually affordable. With XM and Prime 1 producing statues that are 4 or 5 times more expensive and much more difficult to acquire, what was a collecting niche has become an exclusive club requiring deep pockets for initiation.
A $300 statue is a lot easier to rationalize than a $1000 one and I don't think many can justify spending a quarter of their annual salary for a few statues, let alone the increased costs of display cases for the larger pieces.
As a result I think a lot of collectors are taking a step back in the opposite direction and collecting things they can actually afford, like PVC statues or lines that have remained relatively cheap like DC's Batman: Black & White.
I think if Bowen returned right now and started producing PVC statues like the Marvel Diamond ones we've been seeing lately they could OWN the market and incite a whole new resurgence in statue collecting. There just aren't enough collectors out there that can justify paying upwards of $1000 a statue with their discretionary funding and out of that small number you'll only find a few that are interested in taking the time to take and post pictures of their prizes.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2017, 12:20:10 PM   #7
Mister H
Statue Marvels Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
I think if Bowen returned right now and started producing PVC statues like the Marvel Diamond ones we've been seeing lately they could OWN the market and incite a whole new resurgence in statue collecting. There just aren't enough collectors out there that can justify paying upwards of $1000 a statue with their discretionary funding and out of that small number you'll only find a few that are interested in taking the time to take and post pictures of their prizes.
I think that once Randy does come back, we all know that he WILL own the market again, in whatever genre or company he chooses. I don't see him doing the PVC thing though. There is a big backlash against that material being used for statues. In the 1/10 to 1/8 scale range it seems to be fine but once you get to the 1/6 and larger scales, folks are resisting that. Sideshow's 1/4 scale Swamp Thing will be PVC and it's getting a lot of hate. To your other point, you are correct. I have two 1/3 scalers now, but I have had to sell some other things and do some extra penny pinching to get them. I will only have room for one or two more. The good thing about Prime 1 is that they announce a statue veeery early. Some of the Batmans that they have coming will have a Summer 2019 release date, which gives collectors some valuable time to save. IMO, 1/4 is better that the 1/3 scale, Sideshow collectibles have cornered the market on the 1/4 scale unfortunately. I don't want 99% of the 1/3 scale statues......but, I love looking at them.

Last edited by Mister H; December 4th, 2017 at 12:22:30 PM..
Old December 4th, 2017, 08:56:50 PM   #8
TrueFaith

Well if anyone could make PVC work in 1/6 scale it would be Randy Bowen.
When he does return the price point of whatever products he brings to market is going to be a huge factor in just how successful that return is.
If he can't make 1/6 statues for a reasonable price well below Sideshow prices it's going to be a hard road and who knows how much the cost of producing 1/6 scale resin statues has risen in China since his absence?
Old December 5th, 2017, 09:04:16 AM   #9
Blindzider
Statue Marvels Royalty

Prime 1 finally came out with a Batman that I like:

Blindzider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2017, 10:49:22 AM   #10
Mister H
Statue Marvels Royalty

Yeah, he’s great. 1/4 scale as well. I like that they didn’t go with the shiny suit like Supes has. The sculpt is very good. The only thing I don’t like about this Bats, is the price. The Supes and Flash are both about $700 or $800 each. That seems a bit steep for 1/4 scale to me.
Old December 5th, 2017, 11:35:26 AM   #11
Quilon
Statue Marvels Royalty

The site taking so long to load pages does not help either.
Quilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2017, 03:17:34 PM   #12
mmk123
Statue Marvels Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindzider View Post
Prime 1 finally came out with a Batman that I like:

that sculpt looks nice but it really is not the best photo angle to show it off.
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2017, 09:20:20 PM   #13
TrueFaith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quilon View Post
The site taking so long to load pages does not help either.
Well I told Al about it weeks ago, but he doesn't seem to be having any problem with his set up. I find it annoying as hell.