Help Support SM:

Spider-Man
XM Studios
Bowen Statues
General-Marvel Collectibles
Amazon Home Page
Site Support
Conan

Go Back   STATUE M A R V E L S > THE SPINNER RACK - Comic Book Related > MARVEL * DC * IMAGE & OTHERS COMIC BOOK DISCUSSIONS

Thread Starter REL Replies 355 Views 50221  Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscription
share |
share topic

Old July 7th, 2014, 09:36:59 AM   #21
Blindzider
Statue Marvels Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashdaddy View Post
I just picked up Avengers World TPB - which collects Avengers (2012) # 1 thru # 6.

I didn't want to pick up the issues back in 2012, so I decided to wait and I'm glad I did. While I enjoyed the whole first 6, I wasn't overwhelmed with anything super spectacular.

The addition of Hyperion is something I like. The way Sentry was placed on the team instantly was a turn off for me when that happened long ago...

Otherwise, I wish the art was better....after issue 2.
Hickman's run has been...different. Each story adds another piece to a puzzle, some of which you see the results of in Infinity. The rest will end in next year's Time Runs Out. None of it reads like a straight superhero story and because all of it is setup, I tend to feel distanced from the characters. You are watching the events unfold in front of you, but you aren't a part of it. He does have some interesting ideas, especially in New Avengers.

I personally like Opena's art. I wish he was faster so we could see more from him.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Buy a copy of my photo book! Details HERE.

Statue Marvels Threads:
Statue Photography | Collection Room

Blindzider Photography: Superheroes | Statues | Art
Buy @ Pixels | Follow @ Flickr | Like @ Facebook | Follow @ Instagram
-------------------------------------------------------------
Blindzider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old July 7th, 2014, 12:46:11 PM   #22
Warpath
Statue Marvels Royalty

Aquaman, Death of a King. I really enjoyed it; although, I thought that Pelletier's art wasn't up to his usual standard (it was still good). The last book I remember him on was GotG, and I thought he did a much better job there. While the story isn't spectacular, I love what Johns is doing fleshing out the mythos of Atlantis and the seven kingdoms. The mystery and discovery is intriguing to me. It seems to be very similar to what he did with Green Lantern when he unearthed the various lantern corps. Finally, it is great to have Mera back by Aquaman's side. Mera is one of my favorite DC heroines, and the book could use more of her.
Warpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2014, 01:11:23 PM   #23
REL
Statue Marvels Royalty

My Goodreads review:

Quote:
The good news is that you acquire this one pretty inexpensively. It looks good on your shelf. And it's about one of the best super-hero teams in comics.

The bad news is that it even though it says Avengers on the side if you check what issues are captured it's a lot of Force Works, Iron Man, War Machine etc and my favorite Avenger (Cap) is barely in it. Worst of all, I clearly remember reading an Avenger lead in story with an amped up Red Skull appearing and nothing in that story is dealt with here.

The art is very 90s. Some examples contain some pretty exaggerated physiques and some murky coloring.

I'm really happy to see an Avengers omnibus. The X-men are way ahead in omnibus editions and the Avengers need to add some options with some longer runs from the 80s or 90s IMHO.

If you have any interest in this the time to pick on up is now as this is being sold at way below cover price. I paid $28 shipped in new still sealed condition off of Ebay. What happens with the omni that are not popular (like this one) is that they are eventually sold off very cheaply by the publisher and there is a glut of cheap editions for a while. Then it goes out of print and slowly the prices rise as availability gets less and less until finally the book becomes expensive to track down. It's probably not going to be much cheaper than it is right now.
REL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2014, 08:32:05 PM   #24
REL
Statue Marvels Royalty

I just got my copy of the Infinity Gauntlet Omnibus in today so I can't review it yet. But if you are on the fence about it here is someone else talking about why you should consider picking this up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4Car7UB_-g#t=980
Old July 18th, 2014, 01:03:51 AM   #25
REL
Statue Marvels Royalty

Finished the Infinity Gauntlet omnibus.

Quote:
About the first 850ish pages followed the main story straight thru starting with the Silver Surfer prologue issues, Thanos rising mini-series, and then the Infinity Gauntlet issues. Very well done and I love the way these are placed together so well. Frequently when you have an even and the tie ins are added to a collection the writer and artist are different than the main event so the pacing and feel of their contribution doesn't fit well. Here with Starlin writing almost all of these issues Marvel did a great job of avoiding that problem.

Definitely came away feeling like I have a much better understanding of Thanos and impressed with some of the best writing of the Silver Surfer I've seen. George Perez puts some of his best art work I've seen into the Infinity Gauntlet story. And, as one would expect, it looks great on the larger pages of the omnibus format.

The last few hundred pages contained some one shots where were good and then some aftermath issues which were good or mediocre. The Spider-man one shot was surprisingly good IMHO.

Overall very well done and recommended. Thank you Marvel for numbering the pages.
Old July 29th, 2014, 12:41:37 AM   #26
REL
Statue Marvels Royalty

I wanted to give a shout out to Ron Lim's art in the Silver Surfer art in the Infinity Gauntlet omnibus. I can imagine some challenges with portraying space scapes well:

Perez is a great artists and he does lots of characters on his pages well. One thing I thought made his Infinity Gauntlet work stand out was his page layouts. When I think of some of his Avengers work the art is good but the layouts are pretty straightforward with lots of square boxes. He gets outside the lines here:

Old August 6th, 2014, 11:58:36 AM   #27
Blindzider
Statue Marvels Royalty

I just finished Fantastic Four: The End by Alan Davis. Beautiful art and a fun story that brought together the "essential" elements from the FF. Not a must read but an enjoyable one.

Also read Thanos Rising by Aaron and Bianchi. It was interesting but didn't reveal a lot of new stuff (and I don't know that much about Thanos.) I think Bianchi's art is unique but I've never really cared for it in comics. It was slightly different here, I think mainly due to inking, but left me with a 'meh' feeling.
Old August 6th, 2014, 02:54:23 PM   #28
sash501
Statue Marvels Royalty

I'm rereading the Hellboy comics in TPB to get myself excited for my orders of the Megabust by Bowen and the SS statue.

Still a great read. When you step away from DC and Marvel to some other publishers, many times you get better writing IMO . . . Hellboy is such an example.

Sash's Bowen Collection Thread

If you see the collection thread in new posts, it's because new pics have been added.
sash501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2014, 07:30:54 PM   #29
REL
Statue Marvels Royalty

Blindzider, I haven't read either of those but they sound interesting.

I added the first Hellboy library volume to my Amazon want list over a year ago but other books have kept getting in the way of me picking it up.

On Goodreads the book in my to-read list that has been there the longest is Silver Surfer Requiem. Someone mentioned it to me the other day as a good book and reminded me it's still hanging out there for me to pick up. I have 150 books on that list though... and it's hardly exhaustive.
Old August 10th, 2014, 02:53:03 AM   #30
REL
Statue Marvels Royalty

If you're wondering what all is in the Annihilation omnibus here is a video review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjsWiYc-jWY

It also gives you an idea of what the art looks like. The reviewer strives to be spoiler free and does a pretty decent job of it.
Old August 10th, 2014, 03:09:01 PM   #31
Blindzider
Statue Marvels Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by REL View Post
If you're wondering what all is in the Annihilation omnibus here is a video review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjsWiYc-jWY

It also gives you an idea of what the art looks like. The reviewer strives to be spoiler free and does a pretty decent job of it.
Pretty nice. Definitely something I want to read, it just may be a month or two before I can get it. Hopefully the price won't skyrocket...
Old August 12th, 2014, 09:59:48 PM   #32
mmk123
Statue Marvels Royalty

I just got these 2 Omnibus off of Ebay. The were both from the same seller. Both are used copies but I got both of them for a total of around $80. They are in very good condition and I was quite please when they arrived. I always wanted to reread the Miller Daredevil run and actually read some of them since I never read half of them. And I always like the Evolutionary War saga and am looking forward to rereading them in order.
mmk123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2014, 01:48:11 AM   #33
REL
Statue Marvels Royalty

Thanks Blindzider! Looking forward to reading these. I'll be making an order from In-Stock-Trades once I sell the Cap books that are currently pending for sale. Turn those books into other books.

Nice pick ups mmk123. I just picked up the Daredevil omnibus a month or so ago and really enjoyed it once Miller got a few issues under his belt. Looking forward to hearing what you think.

Last edited by REL; August 13th, 2014 at 01:58:24 AM..
Old August 23rd, 2014, 02:28:36 PM   #34
REL
Statue Marvels Royalty

My review of the Fall of the Mutants omnibus:

Quote:
One of the significant events of this books is the first appearance of Archangel. Also we see what can make Dr. Hank McCoy purposely fall down in a public hallway and cry. Apocalypse attacks New York.

This event follows three X teams. X-Factor, experience the above listed issues. Uncanny X-Men search for the de-powered Storm who is searching for the man she loves, Forge, to get her powers back. Wolverine leads a team to find her and they are followed by Freedom Force (a group of criminals) empowered with a warrant for their arrest. An inter-dimensional attack on earth takes place in Dallas when Freedom Force attempts to serve the warrant.

The final X-team is the New Mutants with a fairly unrelated story about a mutant they discover and try to help.

There are crossover issues from (grey) Hulk (who fights Wolverine), Daredevil (who deals with the effects of Apoc's NYC attack) and Captain America (who fights of of Apoc's four horsemen). Powerpack gets involved in the attack on NYC and get infected by Pestilence (of of the four horsemen) but heal each other, and FF4 participate in a ticker tape parade for X-Factor after repelling the NYC attack and help deal with Dr. Doom.

Overall it was a good collection though the New Mutants were not closely tied to the main story.
With some of the significant events here I am a little surprised this one is still so easy to find and relatively inexpensive.
Old September 15th, 2014, 09:29:10 PM   #35
mmk123
Statue Marvels Royalty

I just got 2 more Marvel Omnibus's off of Ebay. I got The Avenger Omnibus (Avengers #1 to 30 Volume 1) and The Women of Marvel Omnibus. Both books were brand new and still sealed and I got each book for around $38 a piece (different sellers).

I know I have said it before but I have always gotten great deals on Ebay when it comes to books. I would highly recommend anyone looking for any hardcover or trades to spend the time surfing Ebay looking for what you want.
mmk123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2014, 09:07:57 AM   #36
REL
Statue Marvels Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmk123 View Post
I just got 2 more Marvel Omnibus's off of Ebay. I got The Avenger Omnibus (Avengers #1 to 30 Volume 1) and The Women of Marvel Omnibus. Both books were brand new and still sealed and I got each book for around $38 a piece (different sellers).

I know I have said it before but I have always gotten great deals on Ebay when it comes to books. I would highly recommend anyone looking for any hardcover or trades to spend the time surfing Ebay looking for what you want.

Nice pick ups! And good advice.
Old September 17th, 2014, 08:21:09 PM   #37
REL
Statue Marvels Royalty

My latest reads. All read except Inhumans. I have Fear Agent Library Edition vol 2 and the Gunslinger Omnibus on the way.

Anyone with the A vs X omnibus should consider getting the companion pictured here. It's huge (1100+ pages) and can be found for under $40.

Fear Agent Library edition is huge. I had problems with the pages at first. Because they are so thick and I'm used to the thin Marvel pages of late. And it's under $30 on In-Stock Trades. Bishop the Crossing is also under $30 there.

Old September 17th, 2014, 09:20:42 PM   #38
Blindzider
Statue Marvels Royalty

How was Fear Agent? I thought about trying to pick up some of Remender's independent work.

I need to do some research on Bishop's Crossing.

That Inhumans is one of my favorite stories. Really comes together nicely and really explains who they are as a race.
Old September 18th, 2014, 01:54:25 AM   #39
REL
Statue Marvels Royalty

Fear Agent was good. Vol 2 on the way and I assume will finish the story up somewhat. It was billed as a return to old school series sci-fi. And it is but with humor and over the top action. Remender does talk about being depressed while writing much of this as he's a struggling writer during this time. The main character takes a fairly bleak outlook on life occasion and it's probably from Remender's personal life a bit. Anyway, not as good as X-Force. Opena joins him for a good bit of the first book. But it's not as good as his Marvel work we've seen. In Stock Trades price is excellent on it especially considering the size of the book.
Old September 19th, 2014, 01:41:30 AM   #40
REL
Statue Marvels Royalty

After finishing Fear Agent Library Edition volume two, my estimation of how good this story is went way up. While it's a different genre and follows one character vs a team it's as good as his X-Force work. It's a different type of story and genre so it isn't an apples to apples comparison. Glad I got these.