Help Support SM:

General-Marvel Collectibles
Spider-Man
Site Support
Amazon Home Page
Bowen Statues
XM Studios
Sideshow on eBay

Go Back   STATUE M A R V E L S > THE SPINNER RACK - Comic Book Related > CLASSIC MARVEL COMICS 1960s-1980s PICS & DISCUSSIONS > the MICRONAUTS

Thread Starter Tatterdemalion Replies 19 Views 5469  Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscription
share |
share topic

Old November 5th, 2009, 05:43:17 PM   #1
Tatterdemalion
Statue Marvels Royalty

Default Hasbro Resurrect the Micronauts

From Toy News International:

Quote:
During Hasbro's 2009 Fall Investor Day Event held today at their headquarters in Pawtucket, Rhode Island, they announced the re-introduction of the classic toy line Micronauts originally created by Japan company Takara in 1974 under the name Microman and later launched in the United States in 1976 and backed by a Marvel Comics comic book series in 1979. As many know, Takara is the same company that originally invented the Transformers line and continues to work with Hasbro today. No specifics were given by Hasbro's Brian Chapman (VP if Hasbro's Global Designs) about what we can expect from the Micronauts brand other than that we can expect Hasbro to revise, reinvent and re-ignite the brand so it is exciting for fans old and new alike. There also was some indication that a television series and/or major motion picture could be in the works for this brand.
Hasbro is really leading the charge in converting some of their properties into cinematic franchises and media cash-cows, so it isn't too surprising Hasbro already has plans for the Micronauts beyond just resurrecting the toy line.

I thought you'd be happy to read this, Al.
Tatterdemalion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old November 5th, 2009, 06:05:58 PM   #2
HoldyourfireAl
Administrator

HOLY
SH*T!!!

The Micronauts are returning!!!!

Thanks Tatter!!!!

Join the Statue Marvels Facebook Group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/Statuemarvels/
HoldyourfireAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2009, 06:44:02 PM   #3
Marvelito
Statue Marvels Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatterdemalion View Post
From Toy News International:

Hasbro is really leading the charge in converting some of their properties into cinematic franchises and media cash-cows, so it isn't too surprising Hasbro already has plans for the Micronauts beyond just resurrecting the toy line.

I thought you'd be happy to read this, Al.
That is very cool! I hope they don't over-modernize them to the point they don't resemble the originals at all.

Why wait until tomorrow when you can buy it today!
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2009, 06:49:27 PM   #4
HoldyourfireAl
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelito View Post
That is very cool! I hope they don't over-modernize them to the point they don't resemble the originals at all.
I hope they work with Marvel & make them look like their greatest incarnations ever!
Old November 5th, 2009, 06:55:56 PM   #5
TouchE22
Mod Solo

Acroyear!!!!!!!
TouchE22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2009, 07:04:57 PM   #6
HoldyourfireAl
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchE22 View Post
Acroyear!!!!!!!
Yes?

Old November 5th, 2009, 07:06:37 PM   #7
Marvelito
Statue Marvels Royalty

Sweet!
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2009, 01:05:15 PM   #8
Tatterdemalion
Statue Marvels Royalty

And it seems like Hasbro isn't wasting any time!

The Wall Street Journal is reporting writer/director J.J. Abrams has been in talks with Hasbro to helm a Micronauts feature film.
Old November 7th, 2009, 02:14:12 AM   #9
Enik
Statue Marvels Hatchling

I just read the same wsj article... I'm SO stoked
My humble collection has Helder's Acroyear AP right in the middle
Enik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2009, 02:16:39 AM   #10
HoldyourfireAl
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatterdemalion View Post
And it seems like Hasbro isn't wasting any time!

The Wall Street Journal is reporting writer/director J.J. Abrams has been in talks with Hasbro to helm a Micronauts feature film.
PLEASE get us the article!!!!
Old November 7th, 2009, 02:17:41 AM   #11
HoldyourfireAl
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enik View Post
I just read the same wsj article... I'm SO stoked
My humble collection has Helder's Acroyear AP right in the middle
Welcome to Statue Marvels & thanks for making your first post in the Micronauts section!
Old November 7th, 2009, 02:28:55 AM   #12
Enik
Statue Marvels Hatchling

Hey Al - thanks for the welcome
I REALLY hope that Hasbro revives the Marvel Micronauts we know and love. Epic story
Old November 7th, 2009, 02:36:19 AM   #13
Alex655321
Statue Marvels Royalty

Always liked the micronauts as a kid !

I have a Red Pencil Box
Alex655321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2009, 02:50:03 AM   #14
Enik
Statue Marvels Hatchling

If J.J. Abrams does go ahead with the Marvel roster, I would love for Huntarr to be included (Acroyear, Karza, Rann, Mari, Bug, Biotron and Microtron are must-haves of course). Might not be on the top of everyone's list but I really want Helder or someone to make a pre-secondary-mutation Huntarr. Shon Bury described him as Clayface meets Wolverine Shon C. Bury interview pt.1 ...
Old November 7th, 2009, 03:45:02 AM   #15
HoldyourfireAl
Administrator

Quote:
Hey Al - thanks for the welcome
I REALLY hope that Hasbro revives the Marvel Micronauts we know and love. Epic story
You are a brotha from anotha mutha!
Old November 7th, 2009, 03:48:08 AM   #16
HoldyourfireAl
Administrator

Quote:
If J.J. Abrams does go ahead with the Marvel roster, I would love for Huntarr to be included (Acroyear, Karza, Rann, Mari, Bug, Biotron and Microtron are must-haves of course). Might not be on the top of everyone's list but I really want Helder or someone to make a pre-secondary-mutation Huntarr. Shon Bury described him as Clayface meets Wolverine Shon C. Bury interview pt.1 ...
I remember this long email back & forth Shon Bury & I had when he was slated to write the Micronauts with Cary Nord drawing. It never happenned, but I still think back fondly & think it was my best correspondance ever! I think it was pre-WWW days. Anyone remember when the internet was just newsgroups???
Old November 7th, 2009, 03:58:00 AM   #17
HoldyourfireAl
Administrator

Abrams talks MICRONAUTS!!!!

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=23633
Old November 7th, 2009, 04:09:21 AM   #18
HoldyourfireAl
Administrator

Harry's site has the story too & some cool commercials!

http://www.aintitcoolnews.com/node/42985
Old November 7th, 2009, 05:50:22 PM   #19
Tatterdemalion
Statue Marvels Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldyourfireAl View Post
PLEASE get us the article!!!!
Here you are, from the Wall Street Journal article "The Cry Goes Out in Hollywood: 'Get Me Mr. Potato Head's Agent!'"

Quote:
LOS ANGELES -- This town's top celebrities have long had more than their fair share of plastic parts. Hollywood's newest movie stars are no exception.

Soon to be starring in his own feature-length film with Universal Pictures: Stretch Armstrong, the pliant, muscle-bound doll whose roots go back to the 1970s. Big Wheel, the plastic tricycle, has its own TV show in the works. Even the board game Risk has a deal for a film, to be co-produced by star Will Smith.

Toys now are receiving the same A-list treatment that any bankable movie star here has come to expect. That includes top billing and contracts with special perks. They even have their own talent agents.

Creative Artists Agency recently signed up Mattel Inc.'s Barbie to star in a live-action feature film at General Electric Co.'s Universal Pictures. International Creative Management, another talent agency, sparked a four-studio bidding war for a movie starring Asteroids, a brand from its client, videogame publisher Atari SA.

John Fogelman represents the likes of Courtney Cox, Whoopi Goldberg and director J.J. Abrams for talent agency William Morris Endeavor Entertainment LLC. But lately, his hottest stars have been toys such as G.I. Joe and Candy Land from his client Hasbro Inc.

"We treated them like the most important movie star client on the roster," says the 44-year-old Mr. Fogelman.

The star turn for toys is part of a mania that has swept Hollywood in recent months. Action figures such as G.I. Joe and Transformers ruled the box office this summer. Meanwhile, real-life stars who were once golden, such as Will Ferrell and Adam Sandler, failed to draw crowds.

"There's chaos right now," says Mr. Fogelman in his Beverly Hills office, grabbing a beer from the walnut-wood bar that Hasbro Chief Executive Brian Goldner gave him for his birthday this year. "Hollywood had matured to a place where most of the artists were being forced to accept what was offered to them," he says. "I was looking to find ways to gain ground back for the artist community."

The craze for toy-driven feature films has given rise to a new term in the Hollywood lexicon. In production meetings, studio executives have begun asking if a particular project is "toyetic" -- meaning whether its concept can lend itself to a toy, and whether the project will be able to sell tickets and merchandise.

No recent project has been more toyetic than "Transformers." This summer, the second movie in the franchise grossed more than $833 million at the world-wide box office. In 2007, after the first "Transformers" film came out, Hasbro said revenues from "Transformers" hit $484 million, up from about $100 million in 2006.

Nonetheless, the director, Michael Bay, also a client of Mr. Fogelman, was reluctant to sign on for a third installment. "I didn't want to do it," says Mr. Bay, "but Paramount, they begged me." He says he caved after a trip to Vegas with Paramount's executives. Paramount Chairman Brad Grey, whose Viacom Inc.-owned studio made both "Transformers" blockbusters, says: "We're proud to be in business with him."

To be sure, Hollywood has played with toys before. Walt Disney Co.'s "Toy Story" franchise drew huge audiences in the 1990s, with name-brand playthings in supporting roles. The company is releasing another in the series in 3-D next year.

Few have taken the toy ride more seriously than Mr. Fogelman. The veteran agent spent much of last year on the road trying to cut new deals for Hasbro. He says he left the Emmys early, took up to four meetings a day, and gained 20 pounds from having so many dinner powwows with potential partners.

But he succeeded in enshrining Hasbro among the pantheon of powerful forces in Hollywood: The company recently secured its own office on the Universal lot, identifiable by the 6-foot statue of Mr. Potato Head standing outside. Only a few others have achieved the status of having offices on the lot, among them, Steven Spielberg, whose DreamWorks Studios sits just a stone's throw away.

As often happens in Hollywood, the stratospheric success of projects such as "Transformers" has unleashed a stampede of producers looking for the next big toy. Projects in the works include movie versions of the games Monopoly and Battleship.

The fervor has allowed even the most uncinematic of playthings to get a shot at the silver screen. The Ohio Art Co., which owns Etch A Sketch, says it has received numerous calls from producers interested in acquiring the rights to make a stand-alone film based on the toy. The company has yet to sign a deal.

"There's a herd mentality in Hollywood," says Stephen Sommers, who made "The Mummy" franchise and directed "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra," which took in more than $300 million at the global box office. "Sometimes I read about toys in development and just think, 'What! Battleship and Monopoly? Really?' I mean, best of luck."

Yet some of Hollywood's top directors and actors are eager to hitch their names to films starring a toy. Will Smith, who currently commands one of the biggest paychecks in the industry, signed on with partner James Lassiter to produce a movie based on the board game Risk, for Sony Corp.'s Sony Pictures.

Messrs. Smith and Lassiter are also developing a TV show based on the Big Wheel toy for a yet-unnamed TV channel, a joint venture between Hasbro and Discovery Communications set to launch next fall. "It was my favorite toy growing up," says Mr. Lassiter.

J.J. Abrams, who created the TV show "Lost" and directed this summer's "Star Trek" film, is in discussions to produce a movie about Japanese toy line Micronauts, which Hasbro just acquired.

Other big names are piling in. Brian Grazer will produce "Stretch Armstrong." Ridley Scott, the British director who made "Gladiator" and "Blade Runner," has agreed to direct "Monopoly."

Mr. Fogelman says he, along with Hasbro CEO Mr. Goldner, makes sure to lock up the rights to the company's brands before letting studios in on the deal. "We protect the [intellectual property] as if it's the most precious metal on the planet," he says. "The studios -- they don't even get the rights to the script until the day we start principal photography. I can tell you, that's never been done before!"

People familiar with the matter say he has brokered deals for Hasbro that include "saw teeth," special provisions worked into a contract to protect the client. For example, studios must greenlight a movie within a number of weeks of acquiring it, or pay a $5 million kill fee directly back to Hasbro. "We wanted to be in the business of making movies, not deals," says Hasbro's Mr. Goldner. Mr. Fogelman declined to elaborate.

Mr. Abrams, the "Star Trek" director, says those who doubt whether a board game or science-fiction toy should be accorded star status will be proved wrong.

"Sometimes, when someone is not a celebrity and you are casting them in a role, everyone who is in a seat of authority voices questions about that actor's talent, sex appeal, looks, ability -- their everything," he says. "But then they get the role, and suddenly they are on the cover of every magazine, and nobody questions those things again. In retrospect, everyone says, 'Of course that person is a star.'"
Old November 8th, 2009, 01:34:26 AM   #20
Enik
Statue Marvels Hatchling

gotta love the way Jo Blo talks about the Abrams thingy & how he describes the moment in time that the Micronauts toys were made 'safer' (I remember thinking wtf???)
Abrams has Micronauts?
"For those who don't remember action figures before Zoids, Crystar or even Rom the Spaceknight, the MICRONAUTS (the American variant of Japan's Micromen) were a series of cool toys with interchangeable body parts and accessories. They also fired spring-loaded projectiles (before some asswipe kid shot one into his mouth and choked, and toy companies ceased including such tiny weapons to avoid lawsuits)."