Help Support SM:

General-Marvel Collectibles
Sideshow DC Comics Zatanna DC Comics Premium Format(TM) Figure
Sideshow Collectibles Thanos on Throne Maquette
Sideshow on eBay
XM Studios
Site Support
Amazon Home Page

Go Back   STATUE M A R V E L S > THE SPINNER RACK - Comic Book Related > MARVEL & DC COMICS POSTERS & LITHOGRAPHS

Thread Starter REL Replies 13 Views 3899  Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscription
share |
share topic

Old February 13th, 2017, 07:53:13 PM   #1
REL
Statue Marvels Royalty

Default Alex Ross Sideshow Collectibles Art Prints

These are just now available on Sideshow. They appear to only be available as a set for the first week with a savings of $50 off. Limited to 200 prints. They can be framed or unframed ($300 or $700). I had a decent amount of Sideshow points saved up that halved the price and ordered am unframed set. If these were on Mondo they would be sold out already, and probably unsigned. Love that these are signed. Still pretty pricey but not crazy compared to some of the prices Ross' lithographs go for.

These are 15 by 38 inches.

Last edited by REL; February 13th, 2017 at 08:11:28 PM..
REL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old February 13th, 2017, 08:08:10 PM   #2
Tarasadies
Statue Marvels Royalty

I want Cap, not Supes.... if there are any left over after they sell the sets I will grab it...

One More Statue and I am Done

1) Moon Knight - White
Tarasadies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2017, 08:10:18 PM   #3
REL
Statue Marvels Royalty

Edit to add... this is sold out now but you can join the waitlist if interested.
Old February 13th, 2017, 09:15:47 PM   #4
Tarasadies
Statue Marvels Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by REL View Post
Edit to add... this is sold out now but you can join the waitlist if interested.

Dang it!!!
Old February 14th, 2017, 08:03:59 AM   #5
Blindzider
Statue Marvels Royalty

Quote:
For some reason I didn't realize you could buy them without frames and felt it was too much. Then I saw your post with the unframed, went to buy it, and now sold out. Curse my stupidity!

-------------------------------------------------------------
Buy a copy of my photo book! Details HERE.

Statue Marvels Threads:
Statue Photography | Collection Room

Blindzider Photography: Superheroes | Statues | Art
Buy @ Pixels | Follow @ Flickr | Like @ Facebook
-------------------------------------------------------------
Blindzider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2017, 10:12:53 AM   #6
sash501
Statue Marvels Royalty

I knew about unframed . . . logged on about 30 min after receiving the email . . . unframed gone and I'm not about to spend another $400 for "Framed" paper prints.

Sash's Bowen Collection Thread

If you see the collection thread in new posts, it's because new pics have been added.
sash501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2017, 10:54:44 AM   #7
Mister H
Statue Marvels Royalty

The wierd thing about Ross is, his "good" images are very, very good, but his "weaker" images are kind of terrible. IMO. Supes, Cap, GL, they are some of his strong characters. Flash, Bats and some others rendered in his style are kinda cheesy looking.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2017, 11:04:12 AM   #8
sash501
Statue Marvels Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
The wierd thing about Ross is, his "good" images are very, very good, but his "weaker" images are kind of terrible. IMO. Supes, Cap, GL, they are some of his strong characters. Flash, Bats and some others rendered in his style are kinda cheesy looking.
I'd like to see Ross do these characters differently. Every Superman, Batman, etc is the same thus far; Nods to old design and representation of old versions of the characters. The superman S on his superman, has always been too big for me.
sash501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2017, 12:10:24 PM   #9
TrueFaith

It's amazing to me that they can charge so much for simple prints, when years ago before Alex Ross became so insanely popular you could get originals for similar prices. One of the local comics shops I used to frequent had a large original Alex Ross painting of the Legion of Super-Heroes on sale for $600 (!!)
That same painting is probably worth at least 5 figures today.
Even simple original pencil sketches go for ridiculous prices, when you used to be able to buy them directly from his website for just a few hundred dollars.
Too pricey for me these days. I have to content myself with the signed lithograph I purchased in the early 1990s of Rob Liefeld's Supreme family, the one and only Ross piece I own.
I'm very happy for him and the success he's seen in his career. When "Marvels" first appeared it was like a bolt from the blue and he remains my favorite comic painter of all time. Luckily he holds a fairly regular exhibition of his works nearby in Western Massachusetts at the Norman Rockwell Museum and seeing those paintings up close that I will never be able to afford is always one of the highlights of my year.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2017, 04:54:01 PM   #10
Tarasadies
Statue Marvels Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post

I agree. Never been a fan of his Spider-man either...
Old February 14th, 2017, 10:28:13 PM   #11
REL
Statue Marvels Royalty

Truefaith, Alex Ross is going to be at the Norman Rockwell museum in April if you would like him to sign something.

I have the Kirby Cap print Ross did. And a couple other Ross Cap prints. I think $100 is the most I've spent on a Ross print so far. These will set me back about $75 (plus shipping) each with my points I am using. That's pretty fair.

As far as prices for prints go, Tyler Stout has some huge prices for his Avengers and Cap prints. Many of his other prints are expensive as well. I think the rise in prices is in part due to the bigger interest in people buying and collecting art prints, the greater popularity of superheroes and the corresponding broader social acceptance of people having comic related things as a hobby.

I mean, look at the crazy prices new Sideshow statues are going for. I'm pretty much priced out of collecting with $500 statues as the norm. #BringBackBowen
Old February 15th, 2017, 07:03:53 AM   #12
TrueFaith

Quote:
Truefaith, Alex Ross is going to be at the Norman Rockwell museum in April if you would like him to sign something.
Actually, the event you reference is being held at the Museum of the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia, not the Norman Rockwell Museum in Stockbridge, MA.
It is already underway (Feburary 11 to May 14). Ross will appear in person on April 1, 2017.
The Norman Rockwell Museum is the curator of Ross' exhibition and lends it out to other museums.
They usually schedule it here in Stockbridge, MA at some point during the year when it's not touring, but I have yet to see it scheduled here thus far.
Old February 22nd, 2017, 01:57:36 AM   #13
REL
Statue Marvels Royalty

Ah, sounds like that might be a nice way to meet Mr. Ross. That's too bad it's a bit further from you though. I would love to tour the Norman Rockwell museum one day. Growing up we had a very large art book of his work in our living room and I've always admired what he created. The Four Freedoms prints are outstanding.
Old February 22nd, 2017, 06:32:38 AM   #14
TrueFaith

Quote:
Ah, sounds like that might be a nice way to meet Mr. Ross. That's too bad it's a bit further from you though. I would love to tour the Norman Rockwell museum one day. Growing up we had a very large art book of his work in our living room and I've always admired what he created. The Four Freedoms prints are outstanding.
It's a great museum. It's situated in the tiny town of Stockbridge, MA in the Berkshire Mountains where Rockwell lived when he did his most famous paintings. His studio was in the same building as the "Alice's Restaurant" that Arlo Guthrie made famous in his song. It's only about an hour drive from me, so I've been there a few times, not just when the Alex Ross exhibit is up.
They have the originals of many of Rockwell's Post covers and most well-known paintings (including the Four Freedoms) and it's really quite overwhelming to see them all together and up close. The influence he had on Alex Ross' work becomes very apparent as you walk among all those great illustrations and paintings. It's easy to see why he comes back every year.