Help Support SM:

Sideshow on eBay
Bowen Statues
Daredevil Marvel Sixth Scale Figure
Site Support
XM Studios
Prime1 Studios Batman
General-Marvel Collectibles

Go Back   STATUE M A R V E L S > SIDESHOW COLLECTIBLES > SIDESHOW COLLECTIBLES: STATUE FORUM

Thread Starter mmk123 Replies 8 Views 120  Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscription
share |
share topic

Old March 17th, 2017, 08:42:45 PM   #1
mmk123
Statue Marvels Royalty

Default Sideshow Green Lantern statue

Not sure if anyone has posted this but this does look very nice (maybe one for your Green Lantern collection True Faith?)

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/03...antern-statue/

link to sale thread

http://www.statuemarvels.com/showthr...439#post635439

Hoping for a Phase 6 with FS Statues of the following

Nighthawk
Wonder Man
Mockingbird
Moondragon
Mantis
mmk123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old March 17th, 2017, 10:54:31 PM   #2
TrueFaith

It's actually a Prime 1 Studios statue - sold through Sideshow.
We had a discussion going last December when it was first announced.

http://www.statuemarvels.com/showthr...+Green+Lantern

I like it a lot, but for $700 I'd prefer the original costume to the "New 52" one.
I may end up getting it, but I'm still on the fence a bit with the price.
It's definitely the best 1/4 scale GL statue I've seen yet.
If I was getting a tax refund this year instead of paying, it would probably already be ordered.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2017, 11:26:38 PM   #3
Puck It
Statue Marvels Royalty

^I was wondering if you'd be picking it up. Probably the best GL out so far imo. Price is steep, though.
Puck It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2017, 02:09:23 AM   #4
Mister H
Statue Marvels Royalty

I think it's ok. Just ok. The recent Sideshow GL premium format is better IMO. I like the museum pose, classic GL costume (mostly) and head sculpt better than the Prime 1 version.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2017, 11:08:18 AM   #5
TrueFaith

I'm just not sure if I'm ready to enter XM or Prime 1 Studios territory when it comes to a "luxury item" like a statue. As much as a GL freak as I am, $700 is a lot of lettuce. I can think of 100 better things I could spend my "discretionary income" on, like a down payment on a new Yamaha FZ-07 at this time of year for one.
I've been actively paring down my statue collection the last couple of years. Surprisingly, I find myself feeling good about it. At the height of my collecting mania, when I had dozens upon dozens of statues and all but a few of the complete line of Bowen mini-busts, the "geek" factor was actually sort of oppressive. I always had a palpable feeling that I was really going a bit overboard whenever I'd look at the collection, like I'd lost control of my impulses to a large extent. Now that I have a much more manageable amount of my absolute favorites, that bothersome feeling has finally abated. In that respect Randy actually did me a huge favor by taking a break, because god knows how many more statues I'd have by now without having that hiatus to reflect on where my collection was heading.
If I started spending several hundred dollars for a statue at this point, even of my #1 favorite character, I'm a bit worried I'd end up in the same boat. I think I'd much rather fill out the GL collection with things like the upcoming $119 Koto statue and and some of the resin GL kits that are available. The kits in particular are comparatively cheap and actually painting them to your liking yourself adds a personal factor to the finished product that you just can't get from a pre-painted statue. Nothing wrong with spending tons of cash on what you like, it's just not where I find myself at this point in my collecting.
Old March 18th, 2017, 12:12:42 PM   #6
mmk123
Statue Marvels Royalty

I can definitely agree about the pairing down part True Faith.
It does feel freeing plus less to dust.
mmk123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2017, 01:33:52 PM   #7
TrueFaith

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmk123 View Post
I can definitely agree about the pairing down part True Faith.
It does feel freeing plus less to dust.
The "dusting" part is something we all could live without in this hobby.
Even though I keep all of my statues behind glass, even the tightest display cabinets allow dust to enter and accumulate over time. With 10 display units, 7 of them detolfs, while dusting can be delayed somewhat, it can't be completely eliminated.
Last month I removed all of my statues and busts from their cabinets, took out all the shelves and gave everything a complete cleaning. It was the first time I'd tackled that chore in over 2 years and it was startling to discover just how dirty everything was. Huge amounts of paper towels and Windex later, the display cabinets are back to pristine condition, but what an amazing amount of real WORK it proved to be. To say nothing of the nerve-shattering trepidation of having to move all of those statues and busts.
Once the cabinets were cleaned, the amount of years of dust on the statues and busts themselves became even more evident. Physical dusting with a soft brush just wasn't cutting it, so I took Randy's advice and subjected many pieces to a complete wash in mild, soapy water and let them air dry. (he suggested this on the now-defunct Bowen Designs website under "statue care".) The results were incredible in many cases and I highly recommend it. The pieces looked brand new as if they had just been unboxed and it returned the paints to their original luster. You really have no idea of the subtle effects of time and dust on your statues until you try this and although it can also be a nerve-wracking process, it is well worth the effort.
Luckily, I've kept all of the hundreds of Eaglemoss figures I own in small completely air-tight display cases since the day they were purchased. I can't imagine what would be involved in having to do the same to all of them.
Old March 18th, 2017, 05:36:17 PM   #8
Mister H
Statue Marvels Royalty

I guess great minds think alike. I too am reducing my number of statues. I will have a lot fewer Bowens and replace them with a few larger scale statues. I'm also shifting to DC characters now that we are seeing a surge in quality DC statues. I have a Marvel side and a DC side in my office. Can't get rid of all the Bowens though, will have to put a few in storage.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2017, 02:23:35 AM   #9
wrlord
Statue Marvels Royalty

Man, I hate everything about the costume on that statue.

Dictated on my iPad. My iPad can't spell for sh!t.
wrlord is offline   Reply With Quote