Site Support
Sideshow Thor Marvel Statue
Sideshow on eBay
XM Studios
Amazon Home Page
General-Marvel Collectibles
Sideshow Collectibles Thanos on Throne Maquette
Daredevil Marvel Sixth Scale Figure

Go Back   STATUE M A R V E L S > THE WATER COOLER > THE CAMERA EYE Photography Forum

Thread Starter 0mega Replies 2 Views 3158  Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscription
share |
share topic

Old December 17th, 2016, 02:07:42 PM   #1
0mega
Statue Marvels Trend Setter

Default in the market for a DLSR

not a lot of action in this section so I'm reviving it

I do have my old Canon PowerShot, but I'd like to get something that will get me better results
'cause of guys like Insomniac, HoldyourfireAl, Blindzider, Hellsbells51 and others that take amazing pictures of your statues

I'm starting to check out DLSR's in the second hand market (can be 1-2-3 years old) and I would like to acquire one that I wont "outgrow", but no need for a top-of-the-line-professional-setup...
what should I look for besides a high pixel sensor?!? I dont need WiFi

this will be primarily for shooting statues, and secondly I will find other uses and start really getting into it

what kind of DLSR (or even mirrorless) you guys have?
do you use closeup filters?
any specific lens or macro lens?
are they all taken with a stand?
can you achieve good quality pics without expensive lighting?

I was a professional Photoshop Jedi before being a welder, so I'm not scared of taking the dive into this new 'realm', I used to work in a studio that had their own photo dep., they only used Canon, so I'm kind of sold on Canon lol

my Bowen galery

WTB:
- Gambit
- MODOK
- Taskmaster
0mega is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old December 17th, 2016, 04:54:32 PM   #2
Blindzider
Statue Marvels Royalty

Hi 0mega!

You are about to embark on a very rewarding hobby!

Before I give my opinion on your questions, I'm going to throw out an offer. I recently upgraded cameras and I'm looking to sell my old one. You are partial to Canon, but I have a Nikon D3100 which is what I took just about all of my pictures on to date. If you are interested you can email me at blindzider@gmail.com. If not, no big deal. Since you are in Canada the shipping may not make it worth it.

I started with the Nikon D3100 which was one of their entry-level cameras and it served me well for a couple of years while I learned the basics of the craft. Personally, I like to invest as little as possible into new ventures, but others like to jump right in and buy the best they can afford. That's really up to you. Nowadays, any of the DSLRs from Nikon or Canon will serve you well.

As far as lenses, the "kit" lens that came with my camera was "good enough" (a 18-55 mm). I do have a prime lens, which is really nice for close-up stuff and used it occasionally. Macro lens is for really small stuff (like insects) because it magnifies. Personally, I felt that close to statues started showing flaws which I didn't want to think about. Others prefer to use a zoom lens and back up a little farther. Lenses can be very expensive.

For statues, I use a tripod 100% of the time, with a 2-3 second timer. This allows the camera to be completely still when taking the picture. You could always just set it on a stool or something if you don’t want to use a tripod.

My early pictures were taken with off the shelf fluorescent bulbs and HomeDepot workshop fixtures. If you just buy yourself some daylight LED bulbs you are good to go. However, I’ve only done “continuous lighting”. Others like leadin2 use strobes. Neither is better, just different.

That’s what I’ve learned the last few years. Others I’m sure have different recommendations. The best thing nowadays is with digital you can shoot as many pictures as you like almost without cost. I really recommend simply experimenting with your camera settings and lighting and examine the results to get a good understanding of what is happening.

I still watch tutorials on YouTube and follow a couple websites, learning new things. Recently I read about this: http://photography-mapped.com/ which shows you the basics.

Best of luck and can’t wait to see your pictures!

-------------------------------------------------------------
Buy a copy of my photo book! Details HERE.

Statue Marvels Threads:
Statue Photography | Collection Room

Blindzider Photography: Superheroes | Statues | Art
Buy @ Pixels | Follow @ Flickr | Like @ Facebook
-------------------------------------------------------------
Blindzider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2016, 10:37:07 PM   #3
0mega
Statue Marvels Trend Setter

thanks for the tips and info Blindzider!

I'll be sure to look around and read a lot and experiment once I have a camera

thanks for your offer regarding the D3100, but being in Canada the exchange rate sucks and shipping and taxes would kill my wallet, I will have to pass
0mega is offline   Reply With Quote