Help Support SM:

General-Marvel Collectibles
Spider-Man
Amazon Home Page
XM Studios
Bowen Statues
Sideshow on eBay
Site Support

Go Back   STATUE M A R V E L S > THE SPINNER RACK - Comic Book Related > COMIC BOOK MOVIES & TV SHOWS

Thread Starter TrueFaith Replies 17 Views 1487  Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscription
share |
share topic

Old March 24th, 2017, 08:23:41 PM   #1
TrueFaith

Default Worst Movie Costume Ever?

Where's wrlord? Only he could adequately describe the disdain I have for this "contraption" of a movie costume.
After seeing this abomination I'm not so sure I want to see Green Lantern in "Justice League" any more.

TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old March 24th, 2017, 09:42:59 PM   #2
mmk123
Statue Marvels Royalty

that just looks like a Nu52 costume that took a wrong turn down Bad Costume Design highway and just picked up a lot of speed.

Why does it seem that DC movies puts a lot of effort into some of the costumes in their movies when the tv shows get it completely right?

Hoping for a Phase 6 with FS Statues of the following

Nighthawk
Moondragon
Mantis
Polaris and Havok (new ones need to be made because the Bowen ones are too expensive now)
The Red Guardian (The Defenders member-this one is a longshot)
and a REALLY GOOD Phoenix Museum Pose statue
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2017, 09:45:08 PM   #3
Puck It
Statue Marvels Royalty

Isn't that the new Power Rangers suit? ...I don't think it's that bad, personally. I do question the range of motion for his neck, though.
Puck It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2017, 10:20:44 PM   #4
Mister H
Statue Marvels Royalty

Shouldn't he be standing over a BMX dirt bike?
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2017, 10:22:52 PM   #5
TrueFaith

I bet if you showed this picture to 100 non-comics fans, 50% of them would say it was Iron Man, 25% would say it was Flash Gordon just because of the lightning bolt and the other 25% wouldn't have a clue.
Old March 25th, 2017, 09:51:08 AM   #6
Tarasadies
Statue Marvels Royalty

Good Lord. That is an abomination. What the hell are they thinking?

One More Statue and I am Done

1) Moon Knight - White
Tarasadies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2017, 12:06:20 PM   #7
Quilon
Statue Marvels Royalty

and ever worse this kid reminds me nothing of Barry Allen. Horrible casting.
Quilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2017, 12:13:05 PM   #8
Quilon
Statue Marvels Royalty

This is a pretty close second. If I showed you this picture without you knowing anything about the Justice League movie, you would think this is someone from Clash of the Titans 3. This is going to be a bomb. They already blamed rotten tomatoes for ruining BvS. I wonder who will get the blame for this debacle of a movie.

Quilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2017, 12:58:17 PM   #9
TrueFaith

Agreed. As excited as I was to hear Jason Momoa would be playing the part of Aquaman, this costume and the few clips I've seen showing how anti-social and "badass" they're making the character really has me concerned. It's one thing to play to an actor's "strengths", but the choice of actor shouldn't completely eclipse the entire comics history of a character.
The highly-anticipated full trailer that just dropped this morning doesn't do much to calm my fears that this movie will be one big disconnected MESS of our favorite DC heroes. Doing not much else besides fighting and posing for endless, dramatic "I'm a real badass" scenes that do nothing to enhance character development, or even make you "like" these people in any way.

Old March 25th, 2017, 01:38:24 PM   #10
Mister H
Statue Marvels Royalty

I'll go watch it.....I just wish they would call it something like "Batman: and people with super-powers". Because that really isn't the Justice League. If Warner Brothers was smart, they would go "old school" with the movies like they are with the comics (kinda, anyways), then they would start to overtake the Marvel movies like they are with comic books. Marvel, IMO, is starting their downward turn in their movies.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2017, 03:09:38 PM   #11
TrueFaith

I find it hard to believe that this kind of movie is even what non-comics fans really want. Endless fight scenes with no real character development get boring very quickly. I remember falling asleep during "Man of Steel", a movie which I actually liked overall because it DID offer some character development, and waking up at the end of the interminably long Zod/Superman battle knowing I hadn't missed much at all. The extended fight scenes were like taking an Ambien right in the middle of an otherwise nicely-crafted movie. That's kind of inexcusable in a super hero movie isn't it? Fight scenes should be a small part of the bigger story, not the end-all and be-all of every comics movie.
With "Justice League" the potential to familiarize non-comics fans with these great characters, so they actually care about them at least slightly as much as comics fans do, seems to be taking a back seat to staging these huge battle scenes. Is anyone really going to want to see more of any of these characters after seeing them do nothing but beat each other up for 2 hours? To make matters worse, Snyder and others seem to feel that some parts of the comics have to be included to promote future movies, or because comics fans would object to them being left out and it just adds to non-comics viewer's confusion over what's going on. They always seem to try to do too much, whether it's adding too many villains or amping up the costume designs to ridiculous levels, rather than concentrating on what helped make many of these characters comic fan favorites for 75 years. Why is "keep it simple, stupid" so hard a concept for Hollywood to understand?
Old March 25th, 2017, 06:06:40 PM   #12
97thAcolyte
Statue Marvels Trend Setter

When I first saw Flash, I thought it was a new Daredevil costume. It does look really really bad... I don't understand why studios can't just use the comic costumes? I get 'modernising' or whatever, but that's not even close. At this point the DC films are not even on my radar. Lego Batman was probably the best after Dark Knight... And Batman '66, obviously. That's ALWAYS top of the list.
97thAcolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2017, 09:00:27 PM   #13
Tarasadies
Statue Marvels Royalty

I sure hope this movie bombs just like the Fantastic four. That would continue to send the message if you are going to make a crappy movie using characters that barely resemble the source material you are going to fail...
Tarasadies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2017, 03:13:23 AM   #14
wrlord
Statue Marvels Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
Where's wrlord? Only he could adequately describe the disdain I have for this "contraption" of a movie costume.
Much as I hate to disappoint, I haven't the words. I can't even get worked up about it; I just have to shake my head and shrug. But, as someone observed, the costume is no worse than the casting, with confident family man Barry Allen now a goofy Asian teenager with no social skills.

Look, it comes always comes down to whether the filmmakers have faith in the source material or not. You can't have someone who is embarrassed to be making a superhero movie make a superhero movie. People like Sam Raimi and Jon Favreau have faith in the material, and give it to us on the screen. People like Bryan Singer think they're better than the source material, so they have to fundamentally change it. That's why we saw Spiderman and Iron Man on screen, but Wolverine had been replaced by some 6'2" skinny pretty boy who likes to sing show tunes and Superman's been a mopey emo twerp with a Christ complex for 15 years.

Back in the '70s, when we were all so cool and hip, no one believed you could put am honest to god superhero on the screen, spandex, truth, justice, and the American way, on the screen, and not be laughed out of town. But the Salkinds believed. Christopher Reeve believed. And with that conviction in their work, they made the best superhero movie ever made.

As for costumes.... it may look like piss-poor cosplay (and it was meant to), but the most accurate costumes were probably the Legends of the Superheroes. Of course, it helps that Adam West and an already-pudgy Burt Ward were on hand...

As for the Flash in particular, the incarnation that got it the most "right" was, of course, the original tv series:

Of course, they got the belt wrong, but otherwise pretty on-target. Personally, I love this series, because it really got the tone right: it was very much a creature of the comics, didn't take itself overly seriously, had an awesome color palette and art deco vibe.

The problem with this costume, of course, is that it looks exactly like what it is: 15 yards of shag carpet glued onto a rubber body suit. The problem was that it was an attempt to cash in on the then-recent and wildly successful Batman movie, which popularized the muscle suit.

I haven't watched the new series in large part because I hate the little leather costume he's wearing, and the fact that the kid playing Barry Allen looks too young to shave.

As for my final word about the JLA Flash... that's not the Flash. That's all. Kind of a shame that moviegoers will think it is. But of course, they also think that a pretty, skinny Wolverine is "definitive."

btw, does anyone else think the moviemakers seem to have turned Aquaman into Namor?

Dictated on my iPad. My iPad can't spell for sh!t.
wrlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2017, 10:32:09 AM   #15
TrueFaith

Dead on, wrlord.
I was also a big fan of the John Wesley Shipp Flash. Unfortunately, the only other super hero show I can think of that got a costume even remotely right was SHAZAM on Saturday mornings in the mid-1970s.

Although they did a nice job with Doctor Fate on Smallville, everyone else looked ridiculous and even now on Legends of Tomorrow they still can't get Hawkman right even with all that practice.

I'm starting to think cosplay is our only hope to see decent representations of the classic costumes. Unfortunately you have to have half a dozen fat Wonder Women assault your eyes before one that combines the right body type AND a good costume shows up.
I do like Ben Affleck's Batman duds, but how many iterations of the Batman costume did it take to get to this point? If one in 10 cosplay people can nail it, why is it so difficult for Hollywood to do the same with million-dollar budgets?
Old March 26th, 2017, 02:38:57 PM   #16
sash501
Statue Marvels Royalty

Seems like it would be hard to run in this.

Sash's Bowen Collection Thread

If you see the collection thread in new posts, it's because new pics have been added.
sash501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2017, 12:30:59 AM   #17
wrlord
Statue Marvels Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
Unfortunately, the only other super hero show I can think of that got a costume even remotely right was SHAZAM on Saturday mornings in the mid-1970s.
Other than 1960s Batman and 1950s Superman, of course.
I loved that Shazam show.

It's predecessor, the Captain Marvel serial, did an even better job with the costume.

And the flying was awesome.

If you don't find old serials inaccessible, I highly recommend this one.

Last edited by wrlord; March 27th, 2017 at 12:40:30 AM..
wrlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2017, 04:42:05 PM   #18
QOBrien67
Statue Marvels Trend Setter

Regarding the Justice League movie, the last trailer took me from "BvS #2 forthcoming" to "cautiously optimistic." That said, my friend put it best when he said:
"Somehow everyone will have a tragic story"
And that kinda hit the nail on the head for me with what is wrong with DC vs Marvel. With Marvel, people can have a tragic story (Star-Lord), but instead of defining them as a person (Batman/Superman), it's just part of a backstory. Take the tone and feel of Captain America vs the tone and feel of Superman. Essentially, minus powers, they're the same type of all-American character. One is a man stuck in time and the other is an ultra powered 1/2 emo-Millennial.

To the point someone wrote above, Marvel trusts the source material and rewrites when necessary, vs DC rewrites source material on a whim, and trusts the source material very seldom. That in itself is an issue.

Just an average every day guy, beating people up and buying nerd statues in his spare time.
QOBrien67 is offline   Reply With Quote