Help Support SM:

Sideshow Collectibles Thanos on Throne Maquette
DC Comics Harley Quinn DC Comics Maquette
Bowen Statues
Sideshow Iron Man Mark III Maquette
XM Studios
Site Support
Sideshow on eBay

Go Back   STATUE M A R V E L S > THE SPINNER RACK - Comic Book Related > COMIC BOOK MOVIES & TV SHOWS

Thread Starter leadin2 Replies 16 Views 459  Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscription
share |
share topic

Old October 27th, 2017, 03:36:25 PM   #1
leadin2
Statue Marvels Royalty

Default Thor: Ragnarok Movie

Just watched the movie, really enjoyed it. Marvel breaks down the serious side of superheroes and made them comical. Lots of laughter in the cinema, definitely funnier than GOG1 and GOG2. Again, it's either a love or hate movie.
leadin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old October 27th, 2017, 04:29:03 PM   #2
Tarasadies
Statue Marvels Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadin2 View Post
Just watched the movie, really enjoyed it. Marvel breaks down the serious side of superheroes and made them comical. Lots of laughter in the cinema, definitely funnier than GOG1 and GOG2. Again, it's either a love or hate movie.
Funnier than GOTG? Wow, I laughed my rear off during those! Dang I hate going to the movies, but going to have to bite the bullet with this one....

One More Statue and I am Done

1) Moon Knight - White
Tarasadies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2017, 11:33:22 PM   #3
97thAcolyte
Statue Marvels Trend Setter

Yeah, this is definitely the new most fun MCU movie. I saw it Tuesday night and the whole cinema was cracking up. It's not overly funny though. The writers and director nailed it IMO. Possibly my new favourite. GO SEE IT!
97thAcolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2017, 11:47:55 PM   #4
Puck It
Statue Marvels Royalty

I thought GOTG 2, which I really liked, was probably the best mix of funny and action. If this is way funnier...it might be too funny for me...at least for the characters. People seem to like it, though.
Puck It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2017, 02:06:25 AM   #5
Mister H
Statue Marvels Royalty

Will probably never watch it. Thor isn't a comedian to me. How can the Cap movies be so good with the perfect amount of humor but still mostly serious and Thor is now a juggling monkey?
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2017, 06:51:14 PM   #6
bryanee

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadin2 View Post
Just seen it myself.loved it. So funny. Can’t wait for the next one.

Son of a bitch is dug in like an Alabama tick.
bryanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2017, 01:00:57 AM   #7
Tarasadies
Statue Marvels Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
Thor is now a juggling monkey?
Actually, I believe he is a frog...
Old October 29th, 2017, 04:25:03 PM   #8
97thAcolyte

Quote:
Will probably never watch it. Thor isn't a comedian to me. How can the Cap movies be so good with the perfect amount of humor but still mostly serious and Thor is now a juggling monkey?
Thor himself isn't always the joker... Yes he makes a few jokes here and there, but it's mainly how he works off and interacts with the other characters, namely Loki, Grandmaster, Korg, etc.
97thAcolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2017, 08:59:37 AM   #9
Blindzider
Statue Marvels Royalty

Haven't seen it yet, but curious if it "felt" too long? Read that they added an extra 20 min and while I liked GOTG2, it seemed to run too long.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Buy a copy of my photo book! Details HERE.

Statue Marvels Threads:
Statue Photography | Collection Room

Blindzider Photography: Superheroes | Statues | Art
Buy @ Pixels | Follow @ Flickr | Like @ Facebook
-------------------------------------------------------------
Blindzider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2017, 10:39:50 AM   #10
Mister H
Statue Marvels Royalty

I see where folks would like this type of movie, and I'm not one of those "if you liked it you're an idiot" types. It just seems to me that we are going back to the 1978 Superman type of super hero movie, where there are scenes worthy of the Superman character but they are between lots of wacky, slapstick humor tailor made for "general" audiences. I guess I just want all CBMs to be approached like the Cap movies....and that's probably silly of me.
Old October 31st, 2017, 03:36:19 PM   #11
Blindzider
Statue Marvels Royalty

Quote:
I see where folks would like this type of movie, and I'm not one of those "if you liked it you're an idiot" types. It just seems to me that we are going back to the 1978 Superman type of super hero movie, where there are scenes worthy of the Superman character but they are between lots of wacky, slapstick humor tailor made for "general" audiences. I guess I just want all CBMs to be approached like the Cap movies....and that's probably silly of me.
I hear you, and I think that's a danger for sure. Arguably, Return of the Jedi and much later the Star Wars prequel trilogy were all hurt by that. Superman 3 went the same route. It's easy to take this road when you have a "questionable" property: Not everyone can buy into the Asgardian mythos, and humor makes things more palatable for the general audience. GOTG is similar. Some of that is studio execs so worried about making their return on movies but too much humor can make it seem like the character can't/shouldn't be taken seriously and then you devolve into sheer ludicrous antics and it doesn't even please the general audience, much less the hard core fans.
Old October 31st, 2017, 05:09:14 PM   #12
Tarasadies
Statue Marvels Royalty

I would much rather a super hero film be funny like GOTG than humorless like so many of the recent DC flicks (thanks a lot Christopher Nolan)...
Old October 31st, 2017, 05:55:11 PM   #13
Mister H
Statue Marvels Royalty

Humor is good in movies, even serious ones. Captain America: The First Avenger had the perfect amount IMO. That movie will forever be one of my favorites because it reminds me of my grandfather (the Original Mister H), the man who raised me. He was in WWII and told me about some of the things he had to do. There was humor in his stories but also there was a sense of doom because of “why” he had to be in Europe. Now, that was reality and Cap is fictional, but these comic characters appeal to us for very personal reasons and the first Cap movie tugged at my soul because I kept picturing my grandfather’s face on Cap the whole time. Constant slapstick would have ruined that for me and I’m so thankful a movie was made that respected the character and his history. I’ve seen some great Batman movies and some great Cap movies (my two favorite characters) so I guess I should quit my bitchin.

Last edited by Mister H; October 31st, 2017 at 05:58:13 PM..
Old November 1st, 2017, 12:35:05 PM   #14
Blindzider
Statue Marvels Royalty

Quote:
Humor is good in movies, even serious ones. Captain America: The First Avenger had the perfect amount IMO. That movie will forever be one of my favorites because it reminds me of my grandfather (the Original Mister H), the man who raised me. He was in WWII and told me about some of the things he had to do. There was humor in his stories but also there was a sense of doom because of “why” he had to be in Europe. Now, that was reality and Cap is fictional, but these comic characters appeal to us for very personal reasons and the first Cap movie tugged at my soul because I kept picturing my grandfather’s face on Cap the whole time. Constant slapstick would have ruined that for me and I’m so thankful a movie was made that respected the character and his history. I’ve seen some great Batman movies and some great Cap movies (my two favorite characters) so I guess I should quit my bitchin.
That's a really nice story, Mister H. I have so much respect for soldiers in WWII (my grandfather also fought.)

I think respect for the character is mainly where my perspective comes from. Humor is fine and many times welcome, at the right place and right time. I just look up to some of these characters, like Cap and Spider-Man, and want others to see what I saw in them. When the movie doesn't do that (like making it slapstick) that's when the complaining starts from me.
Old November 1st, 2017, 09:45:27 PM   #15
Mister H
Statue Marvels Royalty

Thanks BZ.
Old November 2nd, 2017, 12:56:25 AM   #16
mmk123
Statue Marvels Royalty

I am still waiting for wrlord's assessment of the film

Hoping for a Phase 6 with FS Statues of the following

Nighthawk
Moondragon
Mantis
Polaris and Havok (new ones need to be made because the Bowen ones are too expensive now)
The Red Guardian (The Defenders member-this one is a longshot)
and a REALLY GOOD Phoenix Museum Pose statue
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2017, 04:08:20 AM   #17
Tarasadies
Statue Marvels Royalty

Well, took the family to see it tonight.

I liked it, not loved it.

My wife liked it, not loved it.

My granddaughter liked it, not loved it.

So there you have it, my in depth review with input from the family.