Bowen Statues
Site Support
Sideshow Collectibles Thanos on Throne Maquette
Amazon Home Page
Sideshow Iron Man Mark III Maquette
XM Studios
Sideshow on eBay
Spider-Man

Go Back   STATUE M A R V E L S > OTHER STATUE FORUM > EAGLEMOSS MARVEL & DC CLASSIC FIGURINE COLLECTIONS: FORUM

Thread Starter PeepingTom Replies 4 Views 1794  Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscription
share |
share topic

Old July 28th, 2017, 11:08:08 AM   #1
PeepingTom
Statue Marvels Hatchling

Default Hello Eaglemossers. I've got a question

I've been collecting the Eaglemoss Marvel and DC figurines from the beginning. I have all of the original lead runs, and I've been replacing them with the best of for DC. I like the chess pieces, but hate the tall bases for the non pawn figurines.

So my question is. Has anyone tried removing the figurines from those bases and putting them on pawn size bases? I know the old lead figurines had little slots the went into the bases. These almost seem sculpted on them.

I'm about to break a bizarro trying to remove it so I thought I'd ask here first.
PeepingTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old July 28th, 2017, 12:38:08 PM   #2
TrueFaith

I've never heard on anyone trying it, but since the chess pieces are made of resin instead of lead you may have some luck hitting the spot where the feet meet the bases with a heat gun, softening the resin (and glue if it's used) to the point where it could become easier to remove the figure from the base.
When you're dealing with figures this small though, I'd worry that the figure's paints may be softened first, causing damage when the figure is removed.
You could also try using a modeler's pin vise to drill tiny holes around the feet, weakening the bond.
I dunno, I have a dozen or so of the chess pieces, all with tall bases (all Green Lantern-related pieces) and although they don't display well with my hundreds of "classic" Eaglemoss figures, I think they look nice displayed separately among my GL statue collection.
Hey, at least if you screw up it's only $15-$25 for a new one instead of $250-$300 for a full-size resin statue.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2017, 04:51:05 PM   #3
PeepingTom
Statue Marvels Hatchling

Didn't work. Unfortunately the ankles give out long before the feet, and it does blister the paint. I have some scroll saw blades I'm gonna try to just saw him off.
Old July 29th, 2017, 07:54:14 AM   #4
TrueFaith

The smallest saw blade you can find would be my next suggestion also, but given the delicacy it would have to be a manual saw and I just don't see how you could get even a tiny saw blade flush with the base and not lose part of the foot.
What about trying to cut the base straight through, leaving only the top 1/4" or so? That way you could hold the bottom of the base in some sort of vise or clamp to help get a straight cut and you'd only have to sand the bottom and maybe retouch the base a little and not the figure.
That would leave you with something resembling the thickness of the "pawn" base.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2017, 10:06:45 AM   #5
PeepingTom
Statue Marvels Hatchling

I've been kicking that idea around too. They all have that brick wall thing going which makes a perfect straight line. I also saves the hassle of molding an old base. I think that's gonna have to be the way to go. I only need felt pads after that.