Help Support SM:

XM Studios
Sideshow on eBay
Spider-Man
Amazon Home Page
General-Marvel Collectibles
Bowen Statues
Site Support

Go Back   STATUE M A R V E L S > THE SPINNER RACK - Comic Book Related > MARVEL * DC * IMAGE & OTHERS COMIC BOOK DISCUSSIONS

Thread Starter REL Replies 89 Views 14365  Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscription
share |
share topic

Old May 9th, 2015, 12:23:16 AM   #41
REL
Statue Marvels Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das View Post
I like the Nova logo on the spine. The work looks really clean on this book.

I would really like to try a custom binding, one day. I'm thinking about the Silver Surfer (1987) and Impulse, but first, I need to get my single issues collection completed.
Thanks! Herring and Robinson had the Nova die so it was an easy choice for me. I've heard there is a bindery or two in the UK that does these types of binds so you should be able to find one that can help without having to pay the overseas postage.
REL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 9th, 2015, 11:25:42 AM   #42
REL
Statue Marvels Royalty

So my first bind was bound in the buckram cloth. I'm not unfamiliar with buckram as I've read books from libraries that had been rebound in buckram. It can be a little plasticy feeling and sometimes has a sticky tactile feel. While H&R's isn't bad it's closer to the library grade vs luxury book grade buckram. However, they have another grade of Buckram, arrestox. I'm planning on trying that out this next bind project. I like what I've seen from others using it:

Not my picture, but I wish it was.
Old May 9th, 2015, 09:01:10 PM   #43
Das
Statue Marvels Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by REL View Post
I've heard there is a bindery or two in the UK that does these types of binds so you should be able to find one that can help without having to pay the overseas postage.
I think, I'll first try my-self with a set of comics that I don't really care for.
I've studied bookbinding for a whole year. All I miss is some material, time and practice. If I can remember what I was taught, it could be fun…
If not, then, I'll find a professional to do that with the comics I really want to be collected.
Das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2015, 10:25:14 PM   #44
REL
Statue Marvels Royalty

That sounds awesome. Please share with us once you try it out.
Old May 11th, 2015, 07:09:21 PM   #45
REL
Statue Marvels Royalty

I sent my second order off to Herring and Robinson today. We'll see what the Arrestox material is like in hand when these come back. I know their May timeframe is really busy so it may be a bit longer this time around. I have two other binds I am building near completion and a couple I'm going to have to continue to find pieces online to fill out before they will be ready.

I think I've decided how I want my Captain America bind to look like but I had to order the Falcon mini-series off Ebay to include before it will be ready to send off.

Anyone else send an order in yet?
Old May 11th, 2015, 09:41:26 PM   #46
Blindzider
Statue Marvels Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by REL View Post
I sent my second order off to Herring and Robinson today. We'll see what the Arrestox material is like in hand when these come back. I know their May timeframe is really busy so it may be a bit longer this time around. I have two other binds I am building near completion and a couple I'm going to have to continue to find pieces online to fill out before they will be ready.

I think I've decided how I want my Captain America bind to look like but I had to order the Falcon mini-series off Ebay to include before it will be ready to send off.

Anyone else send an order in yet?
Haven't shipped anything off but I am thinking about which series that I want to bind. One of them is Excalibur. Once my room is finished remodeling I'm really going to make another pass through my collection.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Buy a copy of my photo book! Details HERE.

Statue Marvels Threads:
Statue Photography | Collection Room

Blindzider Photography: Superheroes | Statues | Art
Buy @ Pixels | Follow @ Flickr | Like @ Facebook
-------------------------------------------------------------
Blindzider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2015, 11:16:30 PM   #47
kilowog75
Statue Marvels Royalty

I've kicked around the idea of doing this for awhile now but never followed through. I'd like to bind the solo avengers collection with some additional solo avengers stories from marvel comics presents and various avengers annuals.
kilowog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2015, 10:21:00 AM   #48
Blindzider
Statue Marvels Royalty

Here's a way to make a nice slipcase/box:
Make a Box Set for Your Favorite Series — Home | Make:
Old July 20th, 2015, 07:12:00 PM   #49
REL
Statue Marvels Royalty

My custom binds of Brubaker's run on Catwoman came in today. I asked that they do two different colors on the title and I like how it turned out. Interior pictures to show little to no gutter loss. They stay open by themselves except for on the last couple pages. I went with Arrestox material instead of Buckram this time and I like it.

I was torn over whether to do two binds or try to put all this material in one. It would have fit in one but it would have been pretty thick. I'm happy with the way these turned out.

Last edited by REL; July 20th, 2015 at 07:16:17 PM..
Old July 21st, 2015, 12:04:57 AM   #50
Blindzider
Statue Marvels Royalty

The two colors on the spine look really nice and based on the pictures, I like that Arrestox material better. I'm jealous. Congrats!
Old July 21st, 2015, 01:31:45 AM   #51
REL
Statue Marvels Royalty

Thanks! I do see myself picking Arrestox material over Buckram in the future. I have several other things I am planning on binding. But nothing else out for binding just yet.
Old July 21st, 2015, 06:36:55 PM   #52
Mister H
Statue Marvels Royalty

Are those Brubaker Gotham Centrals any good? They look interesting.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2015, 01:17:07 AM   #53
REL
Statue Marvels Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
Are those Brubaker Gotham Centrals any good? They look interesting.
Short answer, yes. The main characters are police officers. Batman and other villains are more in the background so this is not your usual Batman centered story at all. All or part of the run was nominated for an Eisner. So it is critically aclaimed. But, honestly it was a bit uneven as Rucka and Brubaker co-wrote parts and took turns on other parts. The stories go back and forth from 3 to 4 stars of five IMHO (five being super amazing, which makes four really good).
If this had been a Marvel product it probably would have already been printed in omnibus format. As it is, the standard HCs are the best collections (pictured) and are put together pretty well.
Old August 10th, 2015, 02:30:39 PM   #54
sash501
Statue Marvels Royalty

OK pulling the trigger on a first bind. I'm going with Simonson's Thor run of 337-382. Anyone have suggestions on colors, binds, other issues that should be thrown in?

Sash's Bowen Collection Thread

If you see the collection thread in new posts, it's because new pics have been added.
sash501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2015, 05:43:25 PM   #55
sash501
Statue Marvels Royalty

So what are some of y'alls favorite stories that aren't going to fetch much money as individual issues? I have every punisher and don't think that they will ever fetch enough money to keep me from binding them.

Also, anyone use any other companies? I was browsing around and found Houchen, who do cool things like this: Not for me, I like the classic look, but I know some here might like this and I know we have ROM love around here

sash501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2015, 01:49:41 AM   #56
REL
Statue Marvels Royalty

Sash, I pulled out my Simonson omnibus to see what all issues it contains, looks like 337-355, 357-369, 371-382, plus the Balder the Brave mini-series 1-4 (at the end). If you have the skipped issues (by other authors/artists) I'd put them in the bind.* The official omnibus is almost to big. It's pretty uncomfortable to read. I'd seriously consider binding in two volumes. Herring and Robinson won't bind material over 2 1/2 inches thick in one volume. You might be able to make one volume work if it measures out and you are comfortable with a very large book.

I would map this as follows, Vol 1: 337-341, Annual 12, 342 -354, Annual 13, 355-360. Vol 2: 361-382 followed by Balder the Brave 1-4. That's twenty-five issues in volume 1, and twenty-five in volume 2. Simonson did the cover of Annual 13 but did no writing or pencils for either annual. I would add them because if I were ordering the issues as they came out I would want the annuals and I feel the collection is more complete this way. But, they will be different in tone and not carry the ongoing story that Simonson is telling. I looked thru my omnibus to figure out the best place to put them story-wise and to fit pretty close to the year and month they were released.

* Issue 356 looks hilarious! Thor Vol 1 356 - Marvel Comics Database

Hope this helps.
Old October 5th, 2015, 10:31:30 PM   #57
REL
Statue Marvels Royalty

I have a Captain America box ready to go out for binding. It's box one of two though and I need to finish packing the second box. You don't have to take out the staples for Herring and Robinson but I've removed them myself to speed the process once they have them in hand. For these older comics there are a few pages I've been able to remove with only ads on them but they've been few and far between.

I slowly been putting issues together for other binds. I bought the Avengers Academy issues cheap off Ebay. The big one that has taken me some time I have one issue left (on it's way) is a Diggle Daredevil/Shadowland bind.

Anyone else working on custom binds?
Old October 7th, 2015, 07:20:09 PM   #58
REL
Statue Marvels Royalty

I did some prep work last night on the DD and Avengers bind. Besides taking out all the staples this time around I went ahead and sliced off the back cover of each book. I used the same pen knife I've been using to help remove staples. When you have 30+ books those pages add up, especially since they are often slightly thicker than the interior page stock. For my Cap bind I left everything in the binds. Mostly because the majority of advert pages couldn't be removed without losing some of the story. I guess there is some charm in seeing the silver and bronze age advertisements.
Old November 2nd, 2015, 11:17:39 PM   #59
REL
Statue Marvels Royalty

Anyone make any progress on getting into a custom bind? I have an order pending with Herring and Robinson. I'm doing the half bind thing this time around so not sure how much longer than normal that will take.

I also have several other binds close to ready to send off but I don't want to send them until I have the current order completed.
Old November 23rd, 2015, 11:54:02 PM   #60
REL
Statue Marvels Royalty

I couldn't wait any longer and sent two more binds in. I exchanged e-mails with the binder this last week about the Captain America bind they have in hand that has been in queue for a few weeks. They should be working that one now. Hopefully it will be ready and in hand before Christmas.