Help Support SM:

Bowen Statues
Sideshow on eBay
General-Marvel Collectibles
Site Support
Amazon Home Page
Spider-Man
XM Studios

Go Back   STATUE M A R V E L S > THE SPINNER RACK - Comic Book Related > MARVEL * DC * IMAGE & OTHERS COMIC BOOK DISCUSSIONS

View Poll Results: DC Universe Watchmen Connection-YAY or NAY
YES-DC has been knocking it out of the park and if means including the Watchmen go for it 1 25.00%
MAYBE-I will still have to wait and see 1 25.00%
NO-The Watchmen are sacred and including them ruins their integrity 2 50.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Starter mmk123 Replies 9 Views 833  Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscription
share |
share topic

Old May 15th, 2017, 01:59:58 PM   #1
mmk123
Statue Marvels Royalty

Default DC Universe-Watchmen Connection - YAY or NAY

I have to say that anything I have been reading from DC since the DC Universe Rebirth Special last I have been very impressed with. I feel that I was reading 2 separate comic companies when comparing the NU52 to DC Rebirth. But what do you feel about the Watchmen now encountering the DC Universe?

http://www.newsarama.com/34475-johns...day-clock.html

Hoping for a Phase 6 with FS Statues of the following

• Moondragon
  • Mantis
  • Wonder Man (in the Perez Designed costume)
  • Havok (need a new one in his classic costume because the existing one is too expensive on Ebay)
  • The Red Guardian (The Defenders member-this one is a longshot)
  • and a REALLY GOOD Phoenix Museum pose

Last edited by mmk123; May 15th, 2017 at 02:30:07 PM..
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 15th, 2017, 03:03:54 PM   #2
TrueFaith

Definitely nay.
Not sure why DC is even considering this.
It completely anathema to Alan Moore's original concept and vision of these characters.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2017, 03:21:01 PM   #3
Mister H
Statue Marvels Royalty

Never liked Watchmen so don't even care. Will wait to read reviews before I pick it up.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2017, 05:29:00 PM   #4
Blindzider
Statue Marvels Royalty

In general, I feel like Watchmen just needs to be left alone. That story has attained a prominence that will never be achieved again and trying to do more stories about the same characters will always fall short. The Before Watchmen series failed miserably from what I understand, why keep trying?

I've also said somewhere that comics can be an excellent mirror on the real world, but there's a fine line where it gets too "real", meaning, I read comics mostly for escapism, not to hear some writer's opinion about something going on in the real world.

However, I understand at least the motivations that Johns is talking about. I get the whole feeling about extremism and how people are more and more segregated. As a comic reader, I'm always looking for a good story, so if they can pull it off, that's fine with me. If it isn't good, it'll just go into the large, growing pile of comics being published that I don't want to read.

As an aside, I am excited to hear that they are working on Batman: Earth One V3.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Buy a copy of my photo book! Details HERE.

Statue Marvels Threads:
Statue Photography | Collection Room

Blindzider Photography: Superheroes | Statues | Art
Buy @ Pixels | Follow @ Flickr | Like @ Facebook
-------------------------------------------------------------
Blindzider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2017, 08:05:54 PM   #5
wrlord
Statue Marvels Royalty

Watchmen wasn't about the characters. It was another of Moore's deconstructions of the superhero mythos. That story, that universe, is incompatible the DC universe.
Of course, I assume the plan is to simply gut the heart of both. Well underway.

Dictated on my iPad. My iPad can't spell for sh!t.
wrlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2017, 09:24:15 PM   #6
TrueFaith

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrlord View Post
Watchmen wasn't about the characters. It was another of Moore's deconstructions of the superhero mythos. That story, that universe, is incompatible the DC universe.
Of course, I assume the plan is to simply gut the heart of both. Well underway.
While I agree it was primarily about deconstructing tby the superhero mythos, Moore can obviously walk and chew gum at the same time and he created some very interesting characters to help advance the story he was trying to tell. Rorschach in particular garnered a large fan base because of his backstory, I have friends who are still as enamored of this character today as they were when the original comics first appeared. They're very excited when a new Rorschach statue or action figure is released, they cosplay him on Halloween and they will buy and wear any new t-shirt they can find of his.
But if you asked them if they thought it was a good idea for Rorschach to exist in the the regular DC Universe in addition to the original Watchmen comics, they would find the idea not only ridiculous, but probably disrepectful of the source material as well.
One thing about the idea of Watchmen becoming part of the DC Universe that bothers me is that it feels like intellectual theft to me. For years DC paid their penance for having naive creators sign their rights to characters away only to have DC make millions off those ideas while offering no compensation because they "legally" owned the characters. Taking Alan Moore's creation in directions he never intended (and would most likely object to) just because DC now "owns" these characters feels very much the same to me.
Old May 16th, 2017, 01:07:28 AM   #7
mmk123
Statue Marvels Royalty

When the rumor started about The Watchmen being behind the whole Rebirth issue I was against it. I thought that the Watchmen should have been left alone and not incorporated into the DC Universe at all. The more I thought about it over the past year I thought well, if handled properly, it could work. Now that I read that Geoff Johns will be handling it (and since he seems to have more creative control over DC than either Dan Didio or Jim Lee) I do not have a problem with it.

True Faith, I do agree that DC did get some creators to sign over the rights of their characters to them and not the advantage of the creators. However, Alan Moore was far from a naive creator. He had been writing comics for almost a decade when the Watchmen was published and if he blindly signed the contract with the stupid clause in it (which he bitched about for well over a decade or two in any interview he gave) then it was his own fault.
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2017, 07:51:01 AM   #8
TrueFaith

You could easily drive yourself crazy trying to figure out what motivates Alan Moore and he tends to "birth" characters and then instantly disavow them with maddening regularity.
It's not so much that I feel sorry for Alan Moore having his characters taken in unexpected directions as much as DC willingness to utilize a story that has a unique place in comics history to throw it into the mainstream to make a few more bucks off it.
You have a point about Geoff Johns though. If anyone could pull something like that off it would be him. It might be enough of a challenge that he could do something spectacular with it, but the alternative is a tarnished legacy that simply looks like a money grab by DC. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the risk/reward equation when it comes to Watchmen, which was a fairly cathartic experience in my own comic reading history.
Old May 16th, 2017, 10:15:55 AM   #9
sash501
Statue Marvels Royalty

When I read rebirth 1 (oh so long ago at this point) I was pumped with the ending. Rebirth has been good but for more than a year, I've been thinking . . . what's going on with the button! Finally we are getting that story and I haven't read it because I read my comics like I watch my TV . . . pile and binge. I am very much looking forward to it.

Personal opinion in comics . . . for the past couple years when it comes to the big two, DC makes me happy and Marvel . . . sigh* DC is focusing on just good story while Marvel is focused way too much on diversity and social issues.

As for others, Image has been making me very happy for years now. If any of you aren't reading Image, just ask anyone on here for a list, and shoot over to IST and grab the TPB's for 1/2 off; at $5 a pop, you can do a lot of catch up and love every panel. What I really like about Image is pretty much each book is secluded from the others.

Sash's Bowen Collection Thread

If you see the collection thread in new posts, it's because new pics have been added.

Last edited by sash501; May 16th, 2017 at 10:18:22 AM..
sash501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2017, 01:12:19 PM   #10
TrueFaith

Quote:
Originally Posted by sash501 View Post
Image has been making me very happy for years now. If any of you aren't reading Image, just ask anyone on here for a list, and shoot over to IST and grab the TPB's for 1/2 off; at $5 a pop, you can do a lot of catch up and love every panel. What I really like about Image is pretty much each book is secluded from the others.
I have to admit I was pretty surprised when I first heard people recommending Image comics a while back, but now I'm hearing so many people recommend them that there must be something to it.
Gee....does this mean all those 90's Image Comics I've had squirreled away for so many years now might actually be worth something after all?