STATUE   M A R V E L S STATUE   M A R V E L S  

Help Support SM:

Bowen Statues
Sideshow on eBay
Spider-Man
Amazon Home Page
XM Studios
General-Marvel Collectibles
Site Support

Go Back   STATUE M A R V E L S > THE SPINNER RACK - Comic Book Related > MARVEL * DC * IMAGE & OTHERS COMIC BOOK DISCUSSIONS > YOUR COMIC BOOK SHOP

Reply
Thread Starter HoldyourfireAl Replies 74 Views 12746  Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscription
share |
share topic
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 4th, 2011, 08:43:45 AM   #41
Nightwing_78
Statue Marvels Royalty
 
Nightwing_78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Posts: 3,605
Default

Okay, I had to post this as it happened today, about an hour ago. I popped in to my LCS, now take note, that there are only 3 places in my city that sell comics. Also take note that I am currently unemployed and live of whatever freelance and commission work I get.

Now every there's a group of four, sometimes three or five of us, but usually three of us that go to this comic shop. We go there, pick up some stuff, hang out, grab a coffee, go for breakfast, go back to the comic shop hang around, do some browsing, maybe pick up something extra on the way out. This is how we spend our Mornings. Good times.
Now, sometimes we'll go past the other stores and browse, maybe pick up something that the other store doesnt have, which is cool, and normal right?
Now sometimes we'll get something from one of the other stores if it';s cheaper. I mean, after all, times are rough and cash is tight. And it's not like we do it all the time, and we tend not to do it with things we've already ordered. If I ordered something from one place, I won't go buy it somewhere else just cos it's cheaper. But I'll pick up something random if I like it and the place I usually go to doesnt have it.

So, today I swing by the usua comic shop we go to, to check out whats in the Previews. And the owner loses his sh!t. he goes on this mad tant about how we mustn't go shopping at other stores, and everyone that works at the other stores is banned from his store, and how we're doing him in and telling other stores what he's doing (not that any of the other stores have EVER done anything like him, they dont even has specials - but thats besides the point) And how they're his competitors and how can we support them. And then says that they're doing this and that and thats why they're cheaper. And that me and my little group take advantage of him and if thats the case, we should take our call orders elsewhere. And then b!tches to me about how I ordered 4 statues and then didnt get them and how he has to pay weekly for stock, at which point I try to clarify, but everytime I talk, he gets louder and talks over me, not listening to a word I say.
Now, to give you an idea how he changes things to suit him: I ordered 3 statues, NOT 4. They were Extremis, Emma Frost and Black Widow. Which I planned on buying as they came out, which wouldnt have been a problem. BUT, they all came out at the same time in the same week. And just two months before that, I lost my job and got retrenched. So for two months, I said to him "If they all come out at the same time - please keep them cos I will pay them off and I really do want them." to which he said "Yeah yeah thats cool, no problem".
Every week for two months I told him that and he replied the exact same. Untill the week the stock came in, then he wouldnt keep any of them and had them all on display ready to sell. Usually I'm very excited when I get to buy a statue, but that whole day was a bitter kind of sweet. Cos he basically changed his tune right then. I even borrowed money from friends on the day to buys 2 of them (Emma and Natasha) and had to leave Extremis behind, which was sold anyway the two days later.
So, back to today. I try to correct him saying that he's wrong, but he gets louder then dismisses it and me by saying it's past now and he's not doing that anymore. Completely missing the point of how he could have said to me at any point in two months "Sorry but I wont be able to keep them for you, I hope you understand." in whch case I would have said, cool, I understand and moved on with it.
Now today he's saying that he's running a business and that we're not his friends and he gives us discount and yet we still shop somewhere else. Like a paranoid freak. Yet out of all the comic shops, he's the only one thats talking bad about all the others. then he proceeds to tell me that my friends (the other guys that come with me on a saturday) are scum, and come there with their attitudes (even though I was there and he was in the wrong) and how he was gonna hit one of them and thats why he walked away. And then said how much he's done for all of us and this went on for like an hour. I tried to correct him several times and explain that I understand he has bills to pay and that as customers we can shop where we want and that we are loyal but if he doesnt have something, we are entitled to get it somewhere else, but we come there and spend thousands every month. But he would just talk louder and get more frantic and crazy till I stopped talking and paged through the Previews while he ranted, then I left.
On one other occassion, he also went nuts and said people arent getting their call orders, so he emptied out everyone call orders, well not everyone, but a bunch of them and put all the stock back on the shelves. Including mine. I was there the saturday before and the saturday after, he could have just said, listen, please make a plan and pick up your stuff and I would have seen what I could do. But I show up and everything of mine is gone. that was when I cancelled 99% of my call order.

I used to go there and didnt mind paying extra just for the awesome customer service. Now I don't want to go there anymore to avoid the crazy owner who thinks everyones out to do him in and to listen to him put down everyone else including my friends. I was even told about how he spoke crap about me to one of my friends.
Not. Cool.
So I'm counting down till I stop going there completely.


Check out my work on http://sean-izaakse.deviantart.com/

Bowen Designs Wish List: Museum Modern (Bleeding Edge) Iron Man Armour / Modern She-Hulk / Modern Mockingbird / X23 / Modern Museum Wasp / Modern Museum Iron Fist / Museum Wonderman / Museum Ms Marvel / Museum Modern Scarlet Spider / Museum Iceman / Museum Firestar
Nightwing_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old March 4th, 2011, 08:44:18 AM   #42
Nightwing_78
Statue Marvels Royalty
 
Nightwing_78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Posts: 3,605
Default

Ps. Holdy crap, possibly THE longest post I've ever made. I just needed to vent.
Nightwing_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2011, 08:55:29 PM   #43
Jansen
Statue Marvels Royalty
 
Jansen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sydney
Posts: 3,316
Default

I would stop going there immediately Nightwing. You still got the other 2 places.
This guy seems nuts so just let him run the shop like a Nazi see where he is in a few years
Jansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2011, 02:04:35 AM   #44
Grendel1212
Statue Marvels Royalty
 
Grendel1212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Houston, TEXAS
Posts: 746
Default

I agree....It's his poor business practices to not take a non-refundable deposit on the statues you ordered. This is obviously someone who made poor decisions and placed the blame on you vs. looking inward.

As for you, I would advise you NOT ordering something unless you have the $$ for it NOW.
You lost your job, your car broke down, woman left you and took your $h!t....whatever the reason...these are ALL excuses. In reality, that small business owner (who probably has extremely limited money to allocate to inventory he wouldn't normally budget for) did order that and spend the extra $$ based on YOUR word that you'd be prepared to make good on your order. While he may have poor practices in protecting his budget by taking a deposit, you sir have shown that you are NOT reliable. No matter what the excuse is....no matter the situation....no matter what a golden heart you have....your word and reliability is certainly questionable when it comes to how you handle your personal finances.
If losing your job causes your life to get turned upside down, then you didn't have a plan in place to begin with.
I think that store owner should really think twice about blaming customers for his poor practices....I hope you learn to get a better handle on your personal finance operations.

Last edited by Grendel1212; March 5th, 2011 at 02:51:03 AM..
Grendel1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2011, 03:20:56 AM   #45
Nightwing_78
Statue Marvels Royalty
 
Nightwing_78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Posts: 3,605
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendel1212 View Post
I agree....It's his poor business practices to not take a non-refundable deposit on the statues you ordered. This is obviously someone who made poor decisions and placed the blame on you vs. looking inward.

As for you, I would advise you NOT ordering something unless you have the $$ for it NOW.
You lost your job, your car broke down, woman left you and took your $h!t....whatever the reason...these are ALL excuses. In reality, that small business owner (who probably has extremely limited money to allocate to inventory he wouldn't normally budget for) did order that and spend the extra $$ based on YOUR word that you'd be prepared to make good on your order. While he may have poor practices in protecting his budget by taking a deposit, you sir have shown that you are NOT reliable. No matter what the excuse is....no matter the situation....no matter what a golden heart you have....your word and reliability is certainly questionable when it comes to how you handle your personal finances.
If losing your job causes your life to get turned upside down, then you didn't have a plan in place to begin with.
I think that store owner should really think twice about blaming customers for his poor practices....I hope you learn to get a better handle on your personal finance operations.
I totally get what you're saying Grendel, but the thing is, out of the 3 statues I ordered, I bought 2 on the spot. And prior to that the owner was totally fine with letting us pay off whatever big purchases we had, and it was never a problem. And I would have bought the third one by the end of the month in some way. Then all of a sudden it wasn't, and he changed it on the day. My other issue is how completely irrational he was about that, and more ongoing situations. But since then, the advice you've given is exactly what I'm doing now. I'm paying up front when I order something and pay for it right there. That's definitely good advice.
But don't you agree that he could have handled the situation back then, and the rant yesterday in a more civil way, instead of bad mouthing pretty much everyone, customers and friends as well as other shop owners?
And sadly, thats also why he's struggling and losing business. We try to support him buy buying there, even though his prices are the highest of the very few stores we have, yet in his head we're all out to do him in?
I wish I could record his rant and you could hear it for yourself.
Nightwing_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2011, 03:21:51 AM   #46
Nightwing_78
Statue Marvels Royalty
 
Nightwing_78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Posts: 3,605
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jansen View Post
I would stop going there immediately Nightwing. You still got the other 2 places.
This guy seems nuts so just let him run the shop like a Nazi see where he is in a few years
Thanks Jansen. I'm definitely leaning towards that right now.
Nightwing_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2011, 09:09:57 PM   #47
Colossus
Statue Marvels Royalty
 
Colossus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lone Star State
Posts: 2,020
Default

The Owner!
Colossus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2011, 09:46:35 PM   #48
LoD
Statue Marvels Trend Setter
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 170
Default

Hmmm, what makes me leave the comic shop?

My wife
LoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 01:25:58 AM   #49
Grendel1212
Statue Marvels Royalty
 
Grendel1212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Houston, TEXAS
Posts: 746
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwing_78 View Post
I totally get what you're saying Grendel, but the thing is, out of the 3 statues I ordered, I bought 2 on the spot. And prior to that the owner was totally fine with letting us pay off whatever big purchases we had, and it was never a problem. And I would have bought the third one by the end of the month in some way. Then all of a sudden it wasn't, and he changed it on the day. My other issue is how completely irrational he was about that, and more ongoing situations. But since then, the advice you've given is exactly what I'm doing now. I'm paying up front when I order something and pay for it right there. That's definitely good advice.
But don't you agree that he could have handled the situation back then, and the rant yesterday in a more civil way, instead of bad mouthing pretty much everyone, customers and friends as well as other shop owners?
And sadly, thats also why he's struggling and losing business. We try to support him buy buying there, even though his prices are the highest of the very few stores we have, yet in his head we're all out to do him in?
I wish I could record his rant and you could hear it for yourself.
Yep...sounds like he's definitely frazzled and could use some coaching. That is certainly not the right way to operate or to treat your customers....

Not to defend him, but perhaps he might even have some personal issues spilling over into work....who knows.....
There are always so many variables, and operating a business these days is EXTREMELY stressful (try multiple businesses )
I hope you find a shop and store owner who is genuinely trying to give his customers the best
Grendel1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 03:58:04 AM   #50
Nightwing_78
Statue Marvels Royalty
 
Nightwing_78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Posts: 3,605
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendel1212 View Post
Yep...sounds like he's definitely frazzled and could use some coaching. That is certainly not the right way to operate or to treat your customers....

Not to defend him, but perhaps he might even have some personal issues spilling over into work....who knows.....
There are always so many variables, and operating a business these days is EXTREMELY stressful (try multiple businesses )
I hope you find a shop and store owner who is genuinely trying to give his customers the best
Yeah I know these days with this economy and owning a store where you sell luxuries and not necessities, it's gonna be tough and stressful, definitely.
Thanks for reading about my plight and for the best wishes, it's appreciated
We'll see how the next few visits to the comic shop go, I'll give them another chance, so we'll see.
How many shops do you own if you dont mind me asking?
Nightwing_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 12:35:51 PM   #51
Grendel1212
Statue Marvels Royalty
 
Grendel1212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Houston, TEXAS
Posts: 746
Default

I have 1 winebar, 1 Comic shop, working on another winebar now and another comic shop location for this year
Grendel1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 04:22:10 PM   #52
Nightwing_78
Statue Marvels Royalty
 
Nightwing_78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Posts: 3,605
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendel1212 View Post
I have 1 winebar, 1 Comic shop, working on another winebar now and another comic shop location for this year
Oh wow, nice!
Nightwing_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2011, 11:00:59 AM   #53
Mikeymorphine
Statue Marvels Royalty
 
Mikeymorphine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 505
Default

The ONLY comic shop left in Anchorage alaska is Boscos, aside from Borders Books (which I think is closed now) and Barnes and Noble. Boscos staff is mostly polite sometimes they can be really stuck up nerds, the type that think they are some kind of elite and better than you. They have a good selection of comics but not many statutes. So Ive moved on. Ebay is my primary provider, bigger selections and much much MUCH better prices.
Mikeymorphine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2011, 11:26:46 AM   #54
Anthos
Statue Marvels Royalty
 
Anthos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Collegeville, PA
Posts: 2,182
Default

I for one will be glad to be moving away from this area to Orlando, the comic shops here generally stink. I know of at least two down in Florida that I'll be going to regularly that have decent stores.
Anthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2011, 11:40:25 AM   #55
SkyPirate82
Statue Marvels Trend Setter
 
SkyPirate82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 180
Default

There were only two comic shops in Plymouth (England) that I used to frequent. Both closed down years ago now so I have no choice but to shop for all my comics/trades/statues online.
I save a fortune (and can get stuff I never would have been able to before) but I still kind of miss browsing around in those stores. They were both generally free of annoying fanboys, too.
SkyPirate82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2011, 11:54:10 AM   #56
sash501
Statue Marvels Royalty
 
sash501's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Palm Beach County, Florida
Posts: 4,532
Default

I left my old one because I caught him uping the price on me. I suspected this so here is what I did. I decided to buy Amazing Spiderman #41 which had been behind the counter for a few months. I made a mental not of the price tag, which was about $40. I didn't say anything, left the store and called the next day to have it pulled for my box. When I showed up, the price was $75.

I would leave my current LCS if another one opened up near me (I live in Delray Beach FL the closest store is about 20 miles north, the next closest is 30 miles south) The reasons are
1. distance
2. And this is the BIGGEST REASON, if you don't have a book pulled for you and you don't buy it before the next issues release week, it immediately goes up to at least $4.50 for the issue. It is one of the most expensive stores I've ever been to.
sash501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2011, 09:32:50 PM   #57
Clutters
Statue Marvels Royalty
 
Clutters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 573
Default

There is a guy who runs a comic book shop in Melbourne and many years ago when I used to shop there, he would run CCG tournaments for the 10-14 year old crowd during school holidays because he would get exclusive cards out of the deal from the company. He would enter the tournament himself (looking like a total pervert sitting opposite a bunch of young boys) and would then get his staff to stand behind his opponent and signal to him what cards they held. WTF. I had to get out of that place.
Clutters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2011, 11:07:48 PM   #58
Jansen
Statue Marvels Royalty
 
Jansen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Sydney
Posts: 3,316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutters View Post
There is a guy who runs a comic book shop in Melbourne and many years ago when I used to shop there, he would run CCG tournaments for the 10-14 year old crowd during school holidays because he would get exclusive cards out of the deal from the company. He would enter the tournament himself (looking like a total pervert sitting opposite a bunch of young boys) and would then get his staff to stand behind his opponent and signal to him what cards they held. WTF. I had to get out of that place.
What is CCG? He sounds like the super villain from The Incredibles. Still I can't help but image him to look like the Comic book guy from the Simpsons... sorry
Jansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2011, 11:14:39 PM   #59
Fastball Special
Statue Marvels Royalty
 
Fastball Special's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jean Grey School for Higher Learning
Posts: 5,899
Default

What a tool. The dude at my LCS is really cool and is always welcome and helpful with any items. I usually order direct from BD but with other things like comics etc he will do whatever he can to hold any or order them etc.
Fastball Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2011, 11:36:46 PM   #60
Clutters
Statue Marvels Royalty
 
Clutters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 573
Default

CCG = Collectible Card Games, like Magic: The Gathering. But I think his game of choice was some dragon blade something or other.
Clutters is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
comic book shop, comic book store


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




Copyright 2008 - statuemarvels.com