Help Support SM:

General-Marvel Collectibles
Spider-Man
Site Support
Amazon Home Page
Sideshow on eBay
XM Studios
Bowen Statues

Go Back   STATUE M A R V E L S > THE SPINNER RACK - Comic Book Related > MARVEL * DC * IMAGE & OTHERS COMIC BOOK DISCUSSIONS > YOUR COMIC BOOK SHOP

Thread Starter Blindzider Replies 16 Views 2583  Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscription
share |
share topic

Old June 3rd, 2014, 09:56:00 AM   #1
Blindzider
Statue Marvels Royalty

Default America's Best Comic Book Shops

Travel + Leisure has compiled their list of America's Best Comic Book Shops.

America's Best Comic Book Shops - Articles | Travel + Leisure
  • Laughing Ogre Comics, Columbus, OH
  • Meltdown Comics, Los Angeles
  • Crescent City Comics, New Orleans
  • Arcane Comics, Seattle
  • Heroes Aren't Hard to Find, Charlotte, NC
  • Quimby's Bookstore, Chicago
  • Atomic Books, Baltimore
  • Midtown Comics, NYC
  • Austin Books & Comics, TX
  • Isotope, San Francisco
  • Floating World Comics, Portland, OR
  • Big Planet Comics, Washington, D.C.
  • Desert Island, Brooklyn, NY
  • Cartoon Art Museum Bookstore, San Francisco

What do you think? Agree? Disagree?
Have you been to any of these?
Do you have a favorite not listed?

-------------------------------------------------------------
Buy a copy of my photo book! Details HERE.

Statue Marvels Threads:
Statue Photography | Collection Room

Blindzider Photography: Superheroes | Statues | Art
Buy @ Pixels | Follow @ Flickr | Like @ Facebook
-------------------------------------------------------------
Blindzider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old June 3rd, 2014, 10:06:32 AM   #2
Smashdaddy
Marvel MOD

I'm glad you posted this.

I've never been to any of these, but when I do travel, I attempt to visit as many as I can. This will help...!!!

I'm going to visit Quimby as soon as possible...!

Check out my Marvemania collection!: http://www.statuemarvels.com/f524/sm...ion-25876.html
Smashdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2014, 10:10:41 AM   #3
Tarasadies
Statue Marvels Royalty

I go to San Francisco a few times a year, will have to check those two out... thanks for the heads up...

One More Statue and I am Done

1) Moon Knight - White
Tarasadies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2014, 10:17:09 AM   #4
Blindzider
Statue Marvels Royalty

I like to visit shops in other cities too, but usually there aren't any. I'm going to make an effort to go to the New Orleans one and maybe the Charlotte one. The rest are a little too far for me. Atlanta desperately needs a really good store...
Old June 3rd, 2014, 11:07:48 AM   #5
TrueFaith

For anyone visiting Massachusetts I highly recommend:
The Outer Limits in Waltham, MA
and
That's Entertainment in Worcester, MA
Very different stores in size and focus, but both have one thing in common: The best and most knowledgeable owners and staff you'll ever find in any comics shop.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2014, 02:17:04 PM   #6
Mister H
Statue Marvels Royalty

I've been to Midtown Comics in NYC. The one on 40th (I think) They have a great selection of comics of course, but upstairs they have a sizable display of all the comic statues they have for sale. Bowen designs statues are prominently displayed in the middle. They also have GG, Koto and others as well.
I don't know if they are still in business, but Clint's Comic Books in Kansas City is/was very good as well.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2014, 02:28:48 PM   #7
Blindzider
Statue Marvels Royalty

We have a few in Atlanta but none of them are really "super stores" in my mind. They each have pluses and minuses.

Dr. No's Comics and Games in Marietta, GA has a huge selection of hardcovers. I couldn't believe some of the out of print stuff like first print Omnibii that they had. They didn't have much in the way of statues, only a few and back issues were minimal.

Oxford Comics has a nice variety and a lot of stuff, but the store is disorganized. I've purchased a few statues there and they usually have to hunt for the boxes which are sometimes faded by sunlight. But they have a pretty good selection of Bowen full sizes and mini-busts.

There are other stores that are "nice" but very small.
Old June 3rd, 2014, 02:38:30 PM   #8
PeepsChicken
Statue Marvels Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindzider View Post
We have a few in Atlanta but none of them are really "super stores" in my mind. They each have pluses and minuses.

Dr. No's Comics and Games in Marietta, GA has a huge selection of hardcovers. I couldn't believe some of the out of print stuff like first print Omnibii that they had. They didn't have much in the way of statues, only a few and back issues were minimal.

Oxford Comics has a nice variety and a lot of stuff, but the store is disorganized. I've purchased a few statues there and they usually have to hunt for the boxes which are sometimes faded by sunlight. But they have a pretty good selection of Bowen full sizes and mini-busts.

There are other stores that are "nice" but very small.
I second Oxford. I've bought soooo many statues from them it's not funny (and I too am irked about them storing the boxes up front to get sun damaged).

Have you been to Dave's Comics? It's not bad at all if you're hunting for statues, even if the store is messy.

I've only been to two stores on that list (Crescent City, which I haven't been to in a decade, and Austin Comics, which I went to last year and which is amazing).

Step 1. See
Step 2. Covet
Step 3. Purchase
Step 4. Sell something so you can repeat steps 1-3

-Citizen Alpha
PeepsChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2014, 02:43:11 PM   #9
Blindzider
Statue Marvels Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeepsChicken View Post
Have you been to Dave's Comics? It's not bad at all if you're hunting for statues, even if the store is messy.
Yes, but it's pretty far out of my way. I almost drove down there when I was hunting for my Sinister Six statues, but then decided to just call instead. I'd still like to check out the store because I've heard good things about it.
Old June 3rd, 2014, 04:01:09 PM   #10
uatu13
Statue Marvels Trend Setter

I've been to Floating World a few times and it's pretty meh. Honestly Portland doesn't really have that great of comic stores, they have a lot of stuff, but are pretty overpriced in general.
uatu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2014, 10:16:32 PM   #11
immortality20

I'd love to go to a great lcs. My 2 where I live (PE, Canada) are literally dirty holes in the wall. Rude owners who only cater to a few customers, not new person friendly at all. They have zero statues (they'll gladly order them in and charge you the same or more what you could do yourself) or collectables either. Really nothing but some comics and magic: the gathering stores.
immortality20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2014, 11:14:03 PM   #12
khufutaron
Statue Marvels Royalty

Phoenix doesn't really have any "great" comic stores since Atomic Comics closed (which I would argue should have been on the list if they were still around). Most of the stores here are all niche (Samurai Comics - new issues and rpg/magic, Dr. Fantasy's - statues, commercial stuff action figures, etc..., Jesse James Comics - back issues, etc...). I do get to travel some for work so I will add this list to my cloud travel info. Thanks for posting this!
khufutaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2014, 09:02:46 AM   #13
Smashdaddy
Marvel MOD

Well, unless your a big fan of independent non-super hero comics - then Quimby's in Chicago is a no-go.

I looked them up to make sure where they were located and to get a glimpse of what they had - turns out that it's a boutique book shop:

http://www.quimbys.com/

Nothing wrong with it - just not my cup of tea...
Smashdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2015, 03:31:44 AM   #14
AdamWarlock87
Krazy Kitty Krew

Hey guys don't know if it's against the forum rules to post this so feel free to to delete. So arguably the best comic shop in AZ is in need of $ they have a kickstarter going with only a few days left to reach their goal. The owners are great people, if anyone can help out that would be awesome they are so close to their goal. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...eir-comic-shop
AdamWarlock87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2015, 08:34:42 PM   #15
Hexigore

I found this thread and thought I would comment. I am from the Columbus, Ohio area and have been to Laughing Ogre. It is a "pretty" store and it is functional for the general leisurely collector. But for the hardcore gaming, comic, sci-fi, horror, statue collector you need to check out Packrat comics! It has everything. It was just named The Best Comic Book Store in the World at this year's SDCC. Just sayin'. Peace.
Hexigore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2015, 12:35:41 AM   #16
nemesisenforcer
Statue Marvels Royalty

It has been awhile since I have to Meltdown but I have to say that Midtown tops all the comic book stores I have been to. They have huge selection of statues of all companies.

Nemesisenforcers' Collection Thread
http://www.statuemarvels.com/f296/ne...tml#post412126
nemesisenforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2015, 11:53:11 AM   #17
Hexigore

It is one of my goals to go to Midtown some day. I have seen it on TV and it looks fairly awe-inspiring. It is on my bucket list. That and going to SDCC once in my lifetime.
Hexigore is offline   Reply With Quote