Help Support SM:

XM Studios
Spider-Man
Sideshow on eBay
General-Marvel Collectibles
Site Support
Bowen Statues
Amazon Home Page

Go Back   STATUE M A R V E L S > THE WATER COOLER > GENERAL DISCUSSION THREADS at JOSIE'S BAR

Thread Starter Blindzider Replies 2 Views 2872  Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscription
share |
share topic

Old February 8th, 2018, 08:22:23 AM   #1
Blindzider
Statue Marvels Royalty

Default 3D Scanning and Printing Statues

A discussion on 3D scanning and 3D printing statues

Disclaimer: I'm not advocating any of this, if anything these pics should help discourage anyone thinking of doing this. It might help allay any fears some may have, at least for now until the technology gets better.

I know someone who bought a basic 3D printer and downloaded some free files on the internet. He said there weren't many of Marvel statues but here's one he found of a Kotobukiya Hulk ArtFX statue, which was 3D scanned by someone, then printed on a home 3D printer. It's about 5 inches tall.

As you can see by the pics, whatever is printed has lots of "filaments" and requires some amount of sanding to make the product smooth. Depending on the structure, you may have to break off and file down support pieces. These supports hold up outstretched arms and other things during the printing process. There's also not a lot of fine detail either.

If you look closely you can see horizontal lines as well. I'm not sure if that is inherent to all 3D printers or just the lower end ones.

As you can see on the bottom of his right arm, there was an error, but it allows you to see the structure inside, which is apparently adjustable.

There's almost no weight to it, and feels like plastic. Once you sanded everything down, then you still have to paint it, but in the end, the cost doesn't really seem worth it to me. While it is only a couple bucks to print it, the time to smooth it out and the cost of a painter says to me to just go buy the real one. Anyway, I thought this was interesting enough to share.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Buy a copy of my photo book! Details HERE.

Statue Marvels Threads:
Statue Photography | Collection Room

Blindzider Photography: Superheroes | Statues | Art
Buy @ Pixels | Follow @ Flickr | Like @ Facebook
-------------------------------------------------------------
Blindzider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old February 8th, 2018, 10:20:01 AM   #2
Tarasadies
Statue Marvels Royalty

It is interesting, thanks for sharing. I'd like to see one done with a big money printer, just out of curiosity...

One More Statue and I am Done

1) Moon Knight - White
Tarasadies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2018, 03:48:52 PM   #3
Mister H
Statue Marvels Royalty

Looks like he came in a bag with these guys:

Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote