Help Support SM:

General-Marvel Collectibles
Amazon Home Page
Bowen Statues
Spider-Man
Sideshow on eBay
Site Support
XM Studios

Go Back   STATUE M A R V E L S > COMIC STATUES GALLERY > COMIC STATUES & COMIC COLLECTIBLES PHOTO GALLERY > DISPLAY CASES for COMIC STATUES

Thread Starter Don Bohm Replies 7 Views 2455  Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscription
share |
share topic

Old November 24th, 2015, 02:17:55 AM   #1
Don Bohm
Statue Marvels Royalty

Default Cabinet and Shelving colors?

Hey Gang,
I'm remodeling my new house and so I am redoing the whole basement for a fantastic new statue/ comic art/ computer area. I have a layout and design, but I'm having a hard time settling on a color for the cabinets and shelves. The shelves and doors will be glass and the cabinets will (probably) have lighting.

I was thinking having the units a medium gray with a darker gray slate countertop. Or perhaps an off white, light gray with a medium gray counter. Basically I'm looking for something that will showcase the statues as best as possible. I collect mostly Bowen, with some Batman B&W, and some OoaK pieces.

here's a pic of my old set up, the new one is laid out much the same.
Don Bohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old November 24th, 2015, 09:52:46 AM   #2
Darkseid
Statue Marvels Trend Setter

Firstly, nice setup and collection!

Secondly, it will depend what color your walls and flooring will be. With that being said, I'm partial to darker colors for my displays.

I'm sure it'll look awsome either way!
Darkseid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2015, 01:00:59 PM   #3
wrlord
Statue Marvels Royalty

You obviously have a great sense of design. Looking forward to seeing your new setup!

Dictated on my iPad. My iPad can't spell for sh!t.
wrlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2015, 08:51:37 PM   #4
Blindzider
Statue Marvels Royalty

I kind of agree with Darkseid as far as needing to know the colors of the rest of the room. Grey would be a nice offset to the colorful statues, but too much might make the room look drab (despite the statues.)

It's tough. What you have now is pretty nice too!

-------------------------------------------------------------
Buy a copy of my photo book! Details HERE.

Statue Marvels Threads:
Statue Photography | Collection Room

Blindzider Photography: Superheroes | Statues | Art
Buy @ Pixels | Follow @ Flickr | Like @ Facebook
-------------------------------------------------------------
Blindzider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2015, 09:33:12 PM   #5
Don Bohm
Statue Marvels Royalty

The rest of the room is undecided. I'm looking to nail down the cabinet/shelving first, then go from there. The room does have windows, so there is sunlight, and I would to have some color in there, not all dark and dreary. The walls should be a neutral color, as I'll have my comic art collection displayed. They are mostly B&W art, with white matting and black frames.
My original setup is great, I really liked it, but I'd like to go away from the wood stained look, which we have elsewhere in the house, and get something make really makes both my collections 'POP'!
I appreciate all your comments and advice!
Don Bohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2015, 09:14:14 PM   #6
extremethanos
Statue Marvels Royalty

I have always found black or deep, dark wood color to be the best colors for display cabinets as far as how they look to me. Especially if they have lighting.
extremethanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2015, 09:37:06 PM   #7
khufutaron
Statue Marvels Royalty

Echoing what everyone else said, I'm partial to black-brown or expresso color displays, but I think white/off-white looks very eclectic when the colors of the room are light and breezy (like a baby blue or mint green). Plus lighter colors make places like basements seem larger especially without any natural light.

Bowen Collection -- SSC & XM Collection -- Fine Art Collection Part 1 & Part 2
Star Wars X-Mas -- JEEP Trails -- Coming Soon
khufutaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2015, 05:00:06 AM   #8
TrueFaith

I did a little research when I planned my display set-up years ago and the prevailing wisdom at the time was that a black background was best to display small collectibles. So i started with black wood cases for my mini-busts.
While black does look nice and adds a "classy" look, I've found that darker figures like Black Panther or Modern Nighthawk tend to get lost in all that black, giving the impression that there are "holes" in a large collection.
Somewhere along the line I bought a black IKEA "floating" media case which hangs on the wall with hidden hardware (like a big picture frame.) It's a really nice case which holds a lot of busts, but unfortunately IKEA discontinued them after I had bought only one.
The difference with this case was that while it was black, it had a white back panel. After living with it for years now, I'd have to say that a white background highlights the colors of the mini-busts much better and to greater advantage than black ever did. All of the details are clearly visible and they look much more vibrant than they do in a black setting.
If I had it to do over again I would definitely opt for all white backgrounds, regardless of the color of the frames. Even if I chose wood or dark cases, I would give serious thought to adding white behind the figures, perhaps by attaching custom-measured white foam board panels to the inside of the cases.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
remodeling mt