Help Support SM:

Amazon Home Page
XM Studios
Sideshow on eBay
General-Marvel Collectibles
Bowen Statues
Site Support
Spider-Man

Go Back   STATUE M A R V E L S > THE SPINNER RACK - Comic Book Related > CLASSIC MARVEL COMICS 1960s-1980s PICS & DISCUSSIONS

Thread Starter wrlord Replies 7 Views 1077  Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscription
share |
share topic

Old February 16th, 2017, 03:52:36 AM   #1
wrlord
Statue Marvels Royalty

Default Early Vince Colletta

From Mystic Comics #28 (1951)

The copy I have is in normal color, but on a whim I took the color out of the scans, and I really think it works better - and makes it easier to see the art.

Dictated on my iPad. My iPad can't spell for sh!t.

Last edited by wrlord; February 16th, 2017 at 06:51:25 PM..
wrlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old February 16th, 2017, 07:14:16 AM   #2
TrueFaith

A very interesting analysis of Colletta's inking style on this Wiki page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vince_Colletta#Analysis
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2017, 12:45:40 PM   #3
mmk123
Statue Marvels Royalty

seem to be that Colletta's inking ruined quite a bit of artwork and was definitely not favored amongst artist. However, he did last very long in the comics industry.

Hoping for a Phase 6 with FS Statues of the following

• Moondragon
  • Mantis
  • Wonder Man (in the Perez Designed costume)
  • Havok (need a new one in his classic costume because the existing one is too expensive on Ebay)
  • The Red Guardian (The Defenders member-this one is a longshot)
  • and a REALLY GOOD Phoenix Museum pose
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2017, 05:30:34 PM   #4
wrlord
Statue Marvels Royalty

The article seems particularly harsh. As the pages above illustrate, Colletta was a fine artist in his own right, as inkers must be. While too many in the industry used to (and still?) think of them as just tracing over the lines put in by the penciler, we know that inkers not only bring emphasis and their own style to their work, but often have to create original artwork when given breakdowns rather than finished pencils (good thread on this here: http://byrnerobotics.com/forum/forum...58&totPosts=30 ).

AND, those were the days when you didn't miss a deadline and stay employed. Colletta did what he had to do to get the job done. As a penciler, I too would be pissed if I had put in a lot of hard work only to see an inker impose his own will on it, especially if it was motivated by pragmatism rather than artistic vision.

That's why it's best when you have a team that works well together. I think JRJR would be lost without Klaus Janson. I think the over-populated panels of George Perez benefited greatly from the chiaroscuro of Romeo Tanghal (one of my favorites).
Old February 16th, 2017, 11:51:50 PM   #5
TrueFaith

I found the info in the Wiki particularly interesting concerning it's mention of Steve Ditko.
I thought it was hilarious that Ditko would show his displeasure with Colletta's inking by throwing any books Colletta worked on in the trash, making sure that Stan Lee saw him doing it.
Given most of the stories you hear about Ditko, I wasn't aware that he actually had a sense of humor.
Old February 17th, 2017, 12:22:35 AM   #6
wrlord
Statue Marvels Royalty

Not even sure when that would have been. It seems Ditko and Lee didn't speak to each other for years -- while working together! Ditko would drop off (or mail?) the pages and studiously avoided any contact with Lee.
Old February 17th, 2017, 07:11:23 AM   #7
TrueFaith

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrlord View Post
Not even sure when that would have been. It seems Ditko and Lee didn't speak to each other for years -- while working together! Ditko would drop off (or mail?) the pages and studiously avoided any contact with Lee.
Well, Ditko acting like that plays right into the "not speaking to each other" thing, doesn't it? If he came into the Madison Ave. office to drop off his pages every once in a while and pick up a few new books that had just been published, it sounds like he went out of his way to find the closest waste basket to Lee's office on his way out...LOL.
Old July 29th, 2017, 10:52:29 PM   #8
HoldyourfireAl
Administrator

Interesting guy.

Join the Statue Marvels Facebook Group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/Statuemarvels/
HoldyourfireAl is offline   Reply With Quote