Help Support SM:

XM Studios
Spider-Man
Sideshow on eBay
Conan
Amazon Home Page
Site Support
General-Marvel Collectibles

Go Back   STATUE M A R V E L S > STATUE MARVELS SITE & MEMBER INFO > INTRODUCE YOURSELF > MEMORIAL to OUR MEMBERS WHO HAVE PASSED

Thread Starter Tatterdemalion Replies 120 Views 16813  Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscription
share |
share topic

Old January 12th, 2010, 01:15:40 AM   #21
HoldyourfireAl
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by endsongjen View Post
even though most of us will never meet it still hurts and saddens my heart. i painted a rom kit for him so we shared a few convos. he was a great guy. i remember him posting here that he had dealt with colon cancer. this is very crappy news indeed. we will miss you, im so sorry to hear it came to this. forum friends are like a second family, rip davey.

stephen thx for letting us know.
I loved talking to him about ROM Spaceknight!

Join the Statue Marvels Facebook Group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/Statuemarvels/
HoldyourfireAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old January 12th, 2010, 01:16:13 AM   #22
Kingmob6
Statue Marvels Hatchling

Default Thanks for taking time to recognize the passing of a friend

Hey guys,

I'm the owner of one of the blogs that Tatterdemalion linked to in the original post, and Davey was my best friend for these past 16 or so years. I'd noticed some odd hits on the blog this afternoon, including strange wording in search terms that made me wonder why someone was looking for things specific to Davey, or 'Macguffin' as he was known on my site, and that trail eventually led me back to this thread. I just registered on the site to tell you how much it means to me to know that my friend had made such an impact on so many lives, just by being himself and sharing his passion for his hobbies with other like-minded folks.

I had no idea how much a part of your community he was and it drives me insane that a man who was so well liked could always be shocked to learn that people missed him when he wasn't around. He'd been a person who'd had emotional ups and downs since I'd known him, and was in the process of a divorce when this happened, as well as dealing with the numerous other health issues of his mother and father. I spoke to him the Saturday before the event, and he seemed in good spirits and made plans to see me the following Wednesday. I got a call from his mother on Tuesday that I actually screened because I had a sinking feeling why she'd be calling me and I needed time to steel myself to speak to her about what I was afraid had happened.

He was one of the kindest people I've ever known, and would do anything for a friend. It warms my heart to know that he had such friendly, like-minded collectors to share his interests with, as I myself have never been bitten by the statue collecting bug. While I could always admire his collection, I know you guys could appreciate what he spent his time accumulating and displaying more than I can in that respect.

Thank you again for all the kind words, and like you, I hope he's found the peace that he never had in this life.

-Bill
Kingmob6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010, 01:18:45 AM   #23
rilynil
Statue Marvels Royalty

RIP, my friend. I am so, so terribly sorry to hear about this.
rilynil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010, 01:30:00 AM   #24
HoldyourfireAl
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmob6 View Post
Hey guys,

I'm the owner of one of the blogs that Tatterdemalion linked to in the original post, and Davey was my best friend for these past 16 or so years. I'd noticed some odd hits on the blog this afternoon, including strange wording in search terms that made me wonder why someone was looking for things specific to Davey, or 'Macguffin' as he was known on my site, and that trail eventually led me back to this thread. I just registered on the site to tell you how much it means to me to know that my friend had made such an impact on so many lives, just by being himself and sharing his passion for his hobbies with other like-minded folks.

I had no idea how much a part of your community he was and it drives me insane that a man who was so well liked could always be shocked to learn that people missed him when he wasn't around. He'd been a person who'd had emotional ups and downs since I'd known him, and was in the process of a divorce when this happened, as well as dealing with the numerous other health issues of his mother and father. I spoke to him the Saturday before the event, and he seemed in good spirits and made plans to see me the following Wednesday. I got a call from his mother on Tuesday that I actually screened because I had a sinking feeling why she'd be calling me and I needed time to steel myself to speak to her about what I was afraid had happened.

He was one of the kindest people I've ever known, and would do anything for a friend. It warms my heart to know that he had such friendly, like-minded collectors to share his interests with, as I myself have never been bitten by the statue collecting bug. While I could always admire his collection, I know you guys could appreciate what he spent his time accumulating and displaying more than I can in that respect.

Thank you again for all the kind words, and like you, I hope he's found the peace that he never had in this life.

-Bill
I'm so glad you decided to join us. I'm sure this is very hard to discuss, but at the same time, maybe it will be healing for you. If you want to read your friend's posts (there are 4,000), just do a search on his name...Daveyyojimbo.

This was his last post and shows us no signs there was a problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldyourfireAl View Post
You're back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyyojimbo View Post
Well, I felt compelled to stop by and brag a little. I got the red and yellow versions (Daredevil) but I think of the two, the yellow wins out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyyojimbo View Post

The ads on the side look great btw.

Wow...I just realized that his last post was a response to me.
He wrote it on 10/16/2009. When did we lose him? Did he leave any children behind?
Old January 12th, 2010, 01:30:53 AM   #25
TouchE22
Mod Solo

Thanks for giving us some more insight Bill. Davey did indeed have many friends here.
TouchE22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010, 01:33:24 AM   #26
Black Cat
Statue Marvels Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmob6 View Post
Hey guys,

-Bill
Hi Bill,

It's nice to meet you and to have you share that with us. Every one of us have our insecurities about ourselves so it's normal that Davey had his. It's always the good that go early and I'm sure he's not in pain anymore and if what everyone says about God, Heaven and so on is true, he is looking down and seeing how well he is truly liked/loved by others. We will truly miss him and hope to see you pop in and out every once in awhile. Keep your head up and stay strong. I know it may not seem like it right now but it does get a little easier as time goes by and don't worry, you will never forget him. I've lost a really good friend in the past when we were both 21 and I will always remember him, same goes for parents and family. The reason I'm saying this is because I know how hard it is for the ones left behind and some think that if they stop grieving they forget and you never forget cause they will always be with you. See, there I go starting to cry as I type this but I just wanted to get it out and say hi and welcome.
Black Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010, 01:33:55 AM   #27
HoldyourfireAl
Administrator

The way we knew him...

These were his "avatars."
Old January 12th, 2010, 01:34:31 AM   #28
rilynil
Statue Marvels Royalty

Dear God, I just noticed I got a PM from him on Oct. 9. I had PMed him earlier to tell him that his voice was sorely missed on the forum lately, and he responded to tell me some of the things that had been keeping him from the forum. Man oh man.

Besides sharing similar views on many topics, Dave was an incredibly generous guy. Last year in a thread about favorite childhood toys, I mentioned that I missed my Iron Man Mego that I loved so much as a kid. You know what Dave did? He mailed me his. Free. Absolutely free. Even though I begged him to let me pay him something.

When I get home from work tonight, I'll take a long sad look at that Iron Man Mego that's been leaning against the right side of my computer screen for months now.

RIP, Dave. You were one of the truly good ones.

Last edited by rilynil; January 12th, 2010 at 02:53:36 AM..
rilynil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010, 01:43:48 AM   #29
HoldyourfireAl
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rilynil View Post
Dear God, I just noticed I got a PM from him on Oct. 9. I had PMed him earlier to tell him that his voice was sorely missed on the forum lately, and he responded to tell me some of the things that had been keeping him from the forum. Man oh man.

Besides sharing similar views on many topics, Dave was an incredibly generous guy. Last year in a thread about favorite childhood toys, I mentioned that I missed my Iron Man Mego that I loved so much as a kid. You know what Dave did? He mailed me his. Free. Absolutely free. Even though I begged him to let me pay him something.

When I get home from work tonight, I'll take a long sad look at that Iron Man Mego that's been leaning against the right side of my computer screen for months now.

RIP, Dave. You were one of the truly good ones.
A lot of times when I would mention a childhood toy or something, he would Private Message me and ask if I needed it? I didn't think he wanted to sell me something. I thought he would've sent it to me as a gift. I didn't want him giving up any of his stuff for some guy, like me, that he didn't even know, so I kinda just said, "no thanks." Still, that always touched me.

By the way, here's a thread he started with pics of when he got his beloved Bullseye statue at last!

http://www.statuemarvels.com/f87/bullseye-fs-lousy-pics-2754.html
Old January 12th, 2010, 01:45:08 AM   #30
HoldyourfireAl
Administrator

Here's a thread with pics he started when he got his dog!

http://www.statuemarvels.com/f181/our-new-dog-sam-2128.html
Old January 12th, 2010, 01:48:28 AM   #31
Kingmob6
Statue Marvels Hatchling

Wow.

You guys are making me bawl like a baby, but as I said, it's wonderful to know what a great community he was a part of. That pic of him with the rose was taken at my wedding 3 years ago, and the blurry figure in the background is the third member of our little group, we've all known each other for the past 15+ years, and spent many a night talking comics, movies and the like.

Black Cat - thanks for your insight, it means a lot.

HoldyourfireAl - He passed on October 19th, the time frame is fuzzy though, sometime in the afternoon or evening presumably. He didn't have kids, though he cared a great deal for the two step-children he raised for the duration of his relationship with his soon to be ex/now widow. I don't know that his love was returned by the two kids, unfortunately, but that's way too much detail to try and sketch in, suffice to say that the divorce was a heavy blow during what had already become an untenable situation.

I will definitely take some time in the future to look over his posts, I'm surprised you guys got him to play in the little forum games, I'd never in a million years have imagined that it'd be his 'thing', nice to know that I can still learn new and funny stuff about a man I thought of as a brother.
Kingmob6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010, 01:51:40 AM   #32
HoldyourfireAl
Administrator

Kingmob6 - Keep an eye out for Private Message at the top of the screen, in case anyone wants to contact you. By the way, please pass my sympathy to his parents. Tell them that a bunch of strangers were touched by their son.
Old January 12th, 2010, 03:51:13 AM   #33
HoldyourfireAl
Administrator

Old January 12th, 2010, 03:51:34 AM   #34
HoldyourfireAl
Administrator

Old January 12th, 2010, 03:54:41 AM   #35
HoldyourfireAl
Administrator

It makes me so sad that anyone can feel that much pain to take their own life. I can't even imagine feeling that broken. I hope that if anyone on this board that has felt this low, realizes that there's always someone out there to talk to. All of our worlds would have been just a little bit better if Davey had decided not to go.
Old January 12th, 2010, 04:38:22 AM   #36
Grendel1212
Statue Marvels Royalty

I guess in one way....if you know for certain you have no way out, you might as well go out on your terms.....

I think my terms would be to take out as many bad guys as I could in the process....

If anyone here ever hears that I'm taking a trip to Pakistan, Afghanistan, or Yemin...you might have an idea what's coming next....lol

Still, I'm sad to hear this....losing anyone like Davey on here bothers me....heck, I'm still bothered by the loss of someone now referred to as "ghost"......and not having trace around bugs me too.....but then something like this?!?!
Grendel1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010, 05:18:24 AM   #37
HoldyourfireAl
Administrator

I never realized that he had survived cancer twice and that his brother had taken his life as well. So much pain...
Old January 12th, 2010, 09:05:50 AM   #38
predator31
Statue Marvels Store QC

this is sad news.

Western Ghost Rider on Horseback 2014

Also Check Out The Original Western Ghost Rider Section!!!! http://www.statuemarvels.com/f552/
predator31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010, 11:47:47 AM   #39
Prime
Statue Marvels Royalty

Very sad news indeed.
He'd been posting at the other forum for almost 4 years and seemed to have the same passion most of us have for this hobby. Hopefully it brought him much happiness.

At least he's not suffering anymore. RIP.
Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010, 12:24:34 PM   #40
Rogue
Statue Marvels Royalty

I'm so sorry to hear this.
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote