Conan
General-Marvel Collectibles
Spider-Man
XM Studios
Amazon Home Page
Sideshow on eBay
Site Support
Bowen Statues

Go Back   STATUE M A R V E L S > STATUE MARVELS SITE & MEMBER INFO > INTRODUCE YOURSELF > MEMORIAL to OUR MEMBERS WHO HAVE PASSED

Thread Starter Tatterdemalion Replies 120 Views 16787  Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscription
share |
share topic

Old January 11th, 2010, 05:08:10 PM   #1
Tatterdemalion
Statue Marvels Royalty

Default Good-Bye Daveyyojimbo - Very Sad News for All of Us

Daveyyojimbo aka Macguffin

Died October 19, 2009
Remembered Fondly Forever

It is with an incredibly heavy heart that I feel obligated to let those who read these forums and other members of community know we unfortunately suffered a loss late last year.

In mid-October, 2009, Daveyyojimbo took his own life. I've unfortunately been able to confirm this through a network of Davey's friends and colleagues, all of whom addressed Davey's passing. Obviously, many here had noticed Davey's declining presence due to difficult personal circumstances, but I doubt anyone - certainly not I - could have imagined the unimaginable.

I'm not really sure what more I can say. He has been and will continue to be greatly missed. I think most anyone who encountered him, even just on these forums, can attest to the fact that Davey was a rare type indeed. The world has grown a little darker.

Edit: Note that references to "Mac" or "Macguffin" allude to Davey, who used that handle in reference to his blog.

Last edited by Tatterdemalion; January 11th, 2010 at 05:18:24 PM..
Tatterdemalion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old January 11th, 2010, 05:29:13 PM   #2
patrickwm68
Statue Marvels Royalty

I didn't know him personally but I've been seeing him on the forums for years and I'm sure we've conversed once or twice. This is very sad to hear.

Last edited by patrickwm68; January 11th, 2010 at 07:47:15 PM..
patrickwm68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 05:31:55 PM   #3
Marvelito
Statue Marvels Royalty

Wow! That is terrible. I know that there was the thread about where he had gone off to. Everyone speculated and no one really knew. About a month or two after that thread he popped into another thread I was commenting on, just out of the blue. I remember telling him something along the lines of "where've you been? There was even a thread about you being gone." He couldn't believe it and was flattered by it, said he was ok and that he'd had a lot of personal stuff to deal with and just needed some time away. I told him not to be a stranger and that was it, just like that he was gone again. This is really very sad and terrible news. Thanks Tatt for letting us know.

Why wait until tomorrow when you can buy it today!
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 05:33:07 PM   #4
tigertank1225
Statue Marvels Royalty

This is very sad news. I am really stunned and saddened. My prayers are with his family.

He would always say how he liked my display ideas and collection. He will be missed.

Last edited by tigertank1225; January 11th, 2010 at 05:36:17 PM..
tigertank1225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 05:52:47 PM   #5
Grendel1212
Statue Marvels Royalty

I just wish I could understand the concept, notion,and act of suicide......guess I'm more of a kill the problem and blow something else up before turning on myself. If the problem was me, then I'd get help or move to an island away from everyone...

I don't know, but suicide just does not compute in my brain....I wish he would have chosen anything other than that....
Grendel1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 06:19:36 PM   #6
Cool-Breeze
Statue Marvels Royalty

Davey was one of my closer forum buddies back when I posted a lot more. We became sorta close on SF and here. This is very sad news. Correct me if I am mistaken, but didn't he have cancer?

Last edited by Cool-Breeze; January 11th, 2010 at 06:33:21 PM..
Cool-Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 06:22:34 PM   #7
Tatterdemalion
Statue Marvels Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool-Breeze View Post
Correct me if I am mistaken, but didn't he have cancer?
Yeah, I think he had two pretty serious bouts with cancer.
Tatterdemalion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 06:31:56 PM   #8
Cool-Breeze
Statue Marvels Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatterdemalion View Post
Yeah, I think he had two pretty serious bouts with cancer.
Yea, back when we spoke a little more he talked about it a little. We had both talked about the forums a little and how some of the same people were getting too us at another forum. I thought maybe he had another few guys get to him and maybe he took a break from posting. He had told me that may happen, but when it got to be this long, I started thinking the worse. It's tough because we were only forum buddies, so you really never know (until now sadly).

I know at one point, he was considering selling most of his statues, but decided to keep them. I told him that I did that before and regretted it and eventually re-bought most of them.

I also remember we had a lot of talks about Captain America. He hated the Bucky scenario and I talked him into buying the trades. He actually thanked me and became a fan. He was one of the guys that when I was lurking and he posted, I would eventually log on and post stuff back.

He was a good guy and I'll miss him a lot.

Last edited by Cool-Breeze; January 11th, 2010 at 06:34:44 PM..
Cool-Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 06:35:09 PM   #9
Tetragrammaton
Statue Marvels Royalty

Terrible news.

What people have to remember is that suicide isn't the response of a rational mind.
Tetragrammaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 07:07:29 PM   #10
TeddyNovak
Statue Marvels Royalty

I think he lost a brother a few years ago too. Sad news, he will be missed.
TeddyNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 07:46:23 PM   #11
animatedUKfan
Statue Marvels Royalty

Very, very sad.

Always pleasant to chat with on the forum, such a shame.

There is a fine line between collection and obsession....

My mixed displays:

http://www.statuemarvels.com/f219/an...-etc-2205.html
http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=33980
animatedUKfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 08:01:25 PM   #12
Black Cat
Statue Marvels Royalty

That is horrible news and very sad that it had to come to that.
Black Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 08:03:29 PM   #13
jack shephard
Statue Marvels Royalty

Location: On a mysterious tropical island somewhere in the South Pacific.

I am so sorry to hear this. Davey was a good guy and he will be truly missed.

"Collect because it's something you enjoy, not because it's something that you think will triple in value." - Randy Bowen
jack shephard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2010, 11:55:58 PM   #14
TouchE22
Mod Solo

I am not ashamed to say this brought a tear to my eye. Davey was a joy to back and forth with on the forums and I have to say I was glad he stopped by the Village of Schmuckshire in the WEREWOLF GAME. I did not know him further than the forums, but he was definitely someone I counted among those I enjoyed talking with. If this was Davey's way to end his pain, I hope he is now at peace now that the pain is gone. Rest in Peace my friend, I will miss you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetragrammaton View Post
Terrible news.

What people have to remember is that suicide isn't the response of a rational mind.
Tet, I am going to disagree here. If this was Davey's response to returning cancer, he will be the 3rd person I have counted as "friend" that has taken their own life because of terminal illness. I will not judge, I only mourn.
TouchE22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010, 12:01:08 AM   #15
Grendel1212
Statue Marvels Royalty

oddly enough, I can't see a pic of Bullseye and not have Daveyyojimbo pop into my mind, and I say it silently to myself......

I sure wish he would have come to one of us or anyone before suicide....
Grendel1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010, 12:53:33 AM   #16
Black Cat
Statue Marvels Royalty

I will be honest and say that I have not stopped thinking about this since I read it earlier. I feel like I lost someone in my "real" life that talked to and joked with, not saying that I don't think the rest of you are friends that I enjoy chatting with. I hope you get what I mean.

I do get what Tet is saying because I am one that believes suicide is an easy/coward way out of someone's problems. However, in this case, I don't really think that and I can kind of see why Davey did it if it just kept piling on and things got worse. I will miss chatting with him for sure.

Last edited by Black Cat; January 12th, 2010 at 12:57:26 AM..
Black Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010, 01:09:55 AM   #17
CocoPUFF
Statue Marvels Royalty

Location: In a desert surrounded by aliens! The illegal kind!

People with the affliction that he had often consider suicide as an option. Not to say it was right, but considering the circumstances with what he had to deal with, and others deal with with this similar disease, its something I can empathize with, but tragic none the less. RIP Dave. You will be missed

"What scares a man most is what he's NOT ordered to do.."
CocoPUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010, 01:10:46 AM   #18
Thanosworld
Statue Marvels Royalty

I didn't know him as well as the rest of you but I will miss him just the same.

It's always a sad day to lose a friend. I'm glad I had a chance to play the WW game with him and being a small part of his life.

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. "Albert Einstein"
Thanosworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010, 01:11:52 AM   #19
endsongjen
Statue Marvels Royalty

even though most of us will never meet it still hurts and saddens my heart. i painted a rom kit for him so we shared a few convos. he was a great guy. i remember him posting here that he had dealt with colon cancer. this is very crappy news indeed. we will miss you, im so sorry to hear it came to this. forum friends are like a second family, rip davey.

stephen thx for letting us know.

"... but who can know the heart of a man? Not even he himself, I suspect. A man is the easiest animal to put on a leash, and the hardest to keep leashed. Even when he chooses it himself."
Siuan Sanche
endsongjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010, 01:14:23 AM   #20
HoldyourfireAl
Administrator

I have been thinking about this all day, since Tatterdemalion told me last night. I am very sad. Daveyyojimbo was very nice to Jack Daddy and me. In fact, when Statue Marvels began 1 year ago...(today???), Daveyyojimbo contacted me and wanted to financially support us. We thanked him, but decided to do it on our own. Still, the guy was always there with words of encougement. I remember him as a happy guy. I wish I had known more. I looked at his final post last night and it definitely doesn't sound like a guy that was about to take his own life.

I didn't know him outside the forums, but...I've been missing him for awhile.

Join the Statue Marvels Facebook Group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/Statuemarvels/
HoldyourfireAl is offline   Reply With Quote