Help Support SM:

Bowen Statues
Sideshow on eBay
Site Support
Conan
Amazon Home Page
Spider-Man
General-Marvel Collectibles

Go Back   STATUE M A R V E L S > THE SPINNER RACK - Comic Book Related > MARVEL * DC * IMAGE & OTHERS COMIC BOOK DISCUSSIONS

Thread Starter REL Replies 89 Views 16792  Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscription
share |
share topic

Old February 5th, 2015, 01:08:40 AM   #21
REL
Statue Marvels Royalty

I got a nice e-mail from them letting me know when they received my binding order and comics.

I also received an e-mail from them with notice they were raising their prices for jobs received on or after 1 Mar 15. It's not a huge jump but it tack on a few dollars and more for all the features you pick.

Still would love to hear from Bdogg_80 on his experience.
REL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old April 13th, 2015, 10:59:52 PM   #22
REL
Statue Marvels Royalty

My bind came in from Herring and Robinson today. They did a great job. I left my camera at work so pictures tomorrow.
Old April 14th, 2015, 09:42:07 AM   #23
Blindzider
Statue Marvels Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by REL View Post
My bind came in from Herring and Robinson today. They did a great job. I left my camera at work so pictures tomorrow.
Can't wait to see it!

-------------------------------------------------------------
Buy a copy of my photo book! Details HERE.

Statue Marvels Threads:
Statue Photography | Collection Room

Blindzider Photography: Superheroes | Statues | Art
Buy @ Pixels | Follow @ Flickr | Like @ Facebook | Follow @ Instagram
-------------------------------------------------------------
Blindzider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2015, 07:36:35 PM   #24
REL
Statue Marvels Royalty

I sent them the comics boxed up in the order I wanted them bound. They remove the staples. I asked that they put their Nova symbol on file on the spine. Turned out very well. I went with dark blue buckram and red lettering.

They take all the issues and turn them into a text block before they add the binding. You can see the headband and how well the pages were trimmed into the text block. I went with the sewn bind.

One of the concerns if something like this is not bound well is gutter loss where you lose the inner edges of the picture and text. No big issues here:

Of course the size is going to mirror the size of the material you are binding. Here you can see it's the same height of a Marvel Masterwork. Smaller than OHCs and slightly taller/even with the paperbacks.

Overall I'm pleased with the work they did. It was accomplished in the advertised timeframe. They sent me a couple e-mails along the way to let me know they started and when they finished. Cost was $31 plus $10 shipping back to me. The prices have been raised but it's just a few dollars more. Let me know what you think.
Old April 14th, 2015, 07:44:04 PM   #25
Mister H
Statue Marvels Royalty

I think it looks pretty good. I'm thinking of getting this done with my old Punisher and Green Lantern comic books I have in my garage.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2015, 10:27:02 AM   #26
Blindzider
Statue Marvels Royalty

Looks like they did a really nice job. I'm very tempted, primarily to remove some of the boxes that I have. I'm a little hesitant because I'm old school and feel I need to keep the original monthlies intact, but that being said, I know I have some series that aren't worth much but still like for one reason or another. It would be much easier to flip through if they were bound on a shelf.
Old April 15th, 2015, 10:50:39 AM   #27
iiddesigns
Statue Marvels Royalty

Wow, that's really nice!
I think I may want to get some made myself!
How many issues went into yours?
Also, do you know if the older newsprint comics can be bound or are they too fragile?
iiddesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2015, 07:41:18 PM   #28
REL
Statue Marvels Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
I think it looks pretty good. I'm thinking of getting this done with my old Punisher and Green Lantern comic books I have in my garage.
I'm happy with how my project turned out. Love to see what those would look like. Herring and Robinson have some examples with Punisher binds they have done that look pretty sweet: Comic Books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindzider View Post
Looks like they did a really nice job. I'm very tempted, primarily to remove some of the boxes that I have. I'm a little hesitant because I'm old school and feel I need to keep the original monthlies intact, but that being said, I know I have some series that aren't worth much but still like for one reason or another. It would be much easier to flip through if they were bound on a shelf.
I really like this run bound and I think this would look better than having the TPB volumes on the shelf. Which, by the way miss one of the issues of the run and the cheapest copy of volume 6 on Amazon is over $500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiddesigns View Post
Wow, that's really nice!
I think I may want to get some made myself!
How many issues went into yours?
Also, do you know if the older newsprint comics can be bound or are they too fragile?
There are 37 issues in this copy (1 thru 36 and an annual). My guess is low to mid 40s as the max number of issues they could do in one bind. They say not more than an inch and a half thick can be sewn but they pull it together tighter when they sew it then it will be leaving your house.

I've seen older issues bound so I know it can be done.
Old April 16th, 2015, 10:13:36 AM   #29
sash501
Statue Marvels Royalty

What do I think? I think I'm sold!! I've actually picked up a few paperback in anticipation of this unveiling. Pumped now!!

Sash's Bowen Collection Thread

If you see the collection thread in new posts, it's because new pics have been added.
sash501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2015, 10:03:13 PM   #30
REL
Statue Marvels Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sash501 View Post
What do I think? I think I'm sold!! I've actually picked up a few paperback in anticipation of this unveiling. Pumped now!!
Awesome. I'm excited to see what you all end up with if you follow thru.

I have the Nomad run from the 90s that I could send in for a bind project and a stack of Cap mini-series. I feel like I need to do more research on Cap first though. I'd hate to do a bind and then find another series I should have included.
Old April 16th, 2015, 11:29:14 PM   #31
Smashdaddy
Marvel MOD

I'm glad I saw this and didn't have to wait 4 to 6 weeks to see how it turned out - that is just incredible...!!!

It does make me think about what I have that would work great.

If I had 2 sets of my full Defenders run - I would do one set entirely....

Check out my Marvemania collection!: http://www.statuemarvels.com/f524/sm...ion-25876.html
Smashdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2015, 02:12:01 PM   #32
sash501
Statue Marvels Royalty

One thing to consider when submitting books IMO is the quality of the paper. The one thing that is really nice about most of the modern books is the pages can take a better beating that the old stuff.
sash501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2015, 02:15:25 PM   #33
Mister H
Statue Marvels Royalty

The Walking Dead Compendium 3 will be coming out in October to go along with season 6. I'm wondering if I should buy it or just have my comics custom bound? Custom sounds cheaper but having all three books look the same would be good to.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2015, 03:41:10 AM   #34
REL
Statue Marvels Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
The Walking Dead Compendium 3 will be coming out in October to go along with season 6. I'm wondering if I should buy it or just have my comics custom bound? Custom sounds cheaper but having all three books look the same would be good to.
I like having my books look the same. If you have all the comics you could bind them all and sell vol 1 and 2 of the Compendium. Or there are already HC versions (11 volumes out). They are oversized volumes but with that many available they will set you back a bit if you were to try to buy them all at once. Buying the compendium is the easiest thing to do but it all comes down to what you want to end up with on your shelves.
Old May 2nd, 2015, 02:43:10 PM   #35
REL
Statue Marvels Royalty

So, one of my next binding projects is a issue more than my Nova run. I expected it be pretty much the same thickness as the Nova comics but the DC issues I stacked together are significantly thicker. I didn't remove anything from my Nova issues when I sent them in. They took out the stables and left in every page, including add pages for the bind. These DC books have thicker paper so I ended up taking out all the staples and taking out ad pages where they didn't have any story on them. The removed pages equaled about a full comic book's worth of pages removed from the Binding project. The Nova bind at 37 issues was a quarter inch shy of 2 inches. The DC 38 issues with extra pages removed are a quarter inch over 2 inches (limit is 2 1/2 inches for machine sewn, 1 1/2 inchs for hand sewn).

While I am not surprised page thickness can vary, I didn't expect comics with the same page count and printed around the same time-frames would vary this much.

One of the reasons I started looking into this was my interest in binding my Captain America run. I'm thinking about starting with a bind at issues 281 to 306 with annual 7. 307 is when Gruenwald began his ten year run. If Marvel keeps printing Cap Masterworks at their current rate it will take them at least a decade to catch up with where I am starting binding.

If anyone has info on a binding map of Captain America beyond what I have I'd love to see it. I'd like to keep the binds closer to 30 issues vs the somewhat larger Nova bind. Plus, if I can find natural breaks in the story around the number of issues that would be nice too. I'm planning putting the issue numbers on the spine of each bind. Not sure exactly how I'll deal with mini-series on the spine but I do (generally) want to include them. I'll have to look and see if there are enough What If? stories to do a separate What if? Cap bind. Here is what I have so far:

Someday I may go back and do a DeMattis vol 1 bind as his run started at 248 and the bind would include Annual 5 and 6.

281 -285, The Falcon 1-4, Annual 7, 286 thru 306. DeMattis & Carlin
307-320 Annual 8, 321 thru 332. Gruenwald
322-362 Gruenwald
363-370 Terminus Factor (Annual 9) 5 issue series, 370-384 Gruenwald
Von Strucker Gambit (3 oversize issues including Annual 10) 385-392, Adventures of Captain America 1-4, 393-400ish ending with Captain America/Ghost Rider Fear one shot.

Finally, not sure yet how I am going to split up the rest of Volume one (missing to much to measure things out yet). The contents that need to be divided are:
Captain America: the Medsa Effect one shot, Captain America/Nick Fury Blood Truce one shot, Punisher Captain America: Blood and Glory 1-4, US Agent 1-4, 401ish thru either 427 or 443 (end of Gruenwald's run) and then 444 to the end of Waid's run (452) before Liefield's Hero's Reborn started up with re-numbering. Will include Annuals 12 & 13, and Waid's one shot Captain America the Legend.

Anyone know of other one shots, mini-series, or Cap villain books that ought to be considered for inclusion because they were printed the same time as the material mentioned? I have the Nomad 90s run for a separate bind.

Last edited by REL; May 2nd, 2015 at 02:45:48 PM..
Old May 3rd, 2015, 10:44:34 PM   #36
kilowog75
Statue Marvels Royalty

How about the first US Agent 4 issue mini series and/or the US Agent storyline in Avengers Spotlight 31-34.
kilowog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2015, 11:17:56 PM   #37
REL
Statue Marvels Royalty

I mentioned the US Agent 1-4 mini. I'll have to look into the Avengers Spotlight issues. Thanks!
Old May 5th, 2015, 11:38:52 AM   #38
Blindzider
Statue Marvels Royalty

Wow, that's an impressive amount to bring together. I'll take a quick look at what I have to see if there are a few odds and ends but I'm sure I don't have anything you don't already have. It's a shame you have to do this because they are so slow to release the MMWs.

I'm still hoping for a Cap Omnibus V2 and a Mark Waid Cap Omnibus. I also have to track down those Mike Zeck issues to read...
Old May 8th, 2015, 02:12:03 PM   #39
Das
Statue Marvels Hatchling

I like the Nova logo on the spine. The work looks really clean on this book.

I would really like to try a custom binding, one day. I'm thinking about the Silver Surfer (1987) and Impulse, but first, I need to get my single issues collection completed.
Das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2015, 12:21:34 AM   #40
REL
Statue Marvels Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindzider View Post
Wow, that's an impressive amount to bring together. I'll take a quick look at what I have to see if there are a few odds and ends but I'm sure I don't have anything you don't already have. It's a shame you have to do this because they are so slow to release the MMWs.

I'm still hoping for a Cap Omnibus V2 and a Mark Waid Cap Omnibus. I also have to track down those Mike Zeck issues to read...
Mark Waid finished off series/volume 1 and then did volume 3. I going to focus on Volume 1 but if it all works out eventually I'll do volume 3 in two books. If they were to do an omnibus I'd pick it up vs a custom bind most likely (bigger pages). I doubt they would include his work from the original run though.

Barring an unlikely change of heart, I won't be binding Captain America volume 2. Two reasons, Rob Liefield and it's only 13 issues.