STATUE   M A R V E L S STATUE   M A R V E L S  

Help Support SM:

Sideshow on eBay
Spider-Man
Conan
XM Studios
Site Support
Bowen Statues
Amazon Home Page

Go Back   STATUE M A R V E L S > THE SPINNER RACK - Comic Book Related > VINTAGE MARVEL & DC COMIC ACTION FIGURES & COLLECTIBLES

Reply
Thread Starter rome Replies 17 Views 3187  Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscription
share |
share topic
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 16th, 2014, 08:23:24 PM   #1
rome
Statue Marvels Royalty
 
rome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,820
Default Advice on selling action figures

I need some advice. My good buddy Ace had an extensive collection of action figures,I mean extensive. Now that he's passed his wife I struggling a bit. I've advised her to sell the collection.
How do you recommend she should proceed?
Most of the items are out of their boxes but in pretty good shape. Im not an action figure guy so I can't readily identify the line. There are some good speed racer stuff but mostly marvel series.
What say you?
rome is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old January 16th, 2014, 08:49:05 PM   #2
jesterkiller
Statue Marvels Royalty
 
jesterkiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,067
Default

i sold my fair share of action figures before. pictures are always a plus when selling these things. you may not be able to identify everything, but some are easier. there is a lot of sites with visual databases. or you can try action figure specific forums to identify and even sell. Fwoosh or toyark are two i used when i was actively collecting action figures
jesterkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2014, 08:55:31 PM   #3
Tarasadies
Statue Marvels Royalty
 
Tarasadies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,092
Default

Time is a big question here. If you just want it all gone in one or two big transactions, you are not going to get near the amount you would if listed everything separately...


One More Statue and I am Done

1) Moon Knight - White
Tarasadies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2014, 08:57:18 PM   #4
PeepsChicken
Statue Marvels Royalty
 
PeepsChicken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,751
Default

Take pictures and post it here. We can probably identify them.

You will make FAR more selling items individually or in small lots than in one big one.


Step 1. See
Step 2. Covet
Step 3. Purchase
Step 4. Sell something so you can repeat steps 1-3

-Citizen Alpha
PeepsChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2014, 09:14:34 PM   #5
Caveman
Statue Marvels Royalty
 
Caveman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MA
Posts: 2,005
Default

Fwoosh is good. Used to frequent that place when I collect marvel legends. Take a picture with everything. People who need stuff will reach out.
Caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2014, 09:30:09 PM   #6
PeepsChicken
Statue Marvels Royalty
 
PeepsChicken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,751
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveman View Post
Fwoosh is good. Used to frequent that place when I collect marvel legends. Take a picture with everything. People who need stuff will reach out.
Agreed. Fwoosh, Toy News International, and Critical Mess are all good places to post. Still, give us a shot. I'd be willing to bet we could identify nearly everything from a few pics.
PeepsChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2014, 09:38:18 PM   #7
jesterkiller
Statue Marvels Royalty
 
jesterkiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,067
Default

agreed. i'd love to see some pics and help identify them
jesterkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2014, 10:20:19 PM   #8
TrueFaith
Moderator
 
TrueFaith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Bay State, USA
Posts: 11,957
Default

Sorry to say, but expect to be disappointed. There really isn't much of a market for "mint on card" action figures, let alone loose ones.
I ended up giving my entire collection of dozens of MOC figures to Toys For Tots after getting little interest in them trying to sell them on eBay and at toy shows.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2014, 11:48:20 PM   #9
rome
Statue Marvels Royalty
 
rome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,820
Default

Thanks a lot guys, that's exactly what I needed to know. It looks like I can't escape the work. It will be a matter of taking a picture of each item, cataloging it through research ( and with your help), then trying eBay. Problem is there are hundreds of these.

Now truefaith thanks for the info. I really wanted to know what kind of market there was out there for these things. Reading your post helped a lot. For a second I was getting excited that she could make out. We'll have to see.

Thanks all
rome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2014, 11:55:07 PM   #10
MutantXavier
Statue Marvels Royalty
 
MutantXavier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA
Posts: 2,924
Default

I was able to sold all my figures before i switched to statues. Ebay is the place you can sell em.. Yea try to take some good pictures here maybe other members can help out!

Goodluck!!!


:::WAITLISTS from the 90s:::

Colossus
Gambit
Jubilee
Dazzler
Havok
MutantXavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2014, 01:57:29 AM   #11
Tarasadies
Statue Marvels Royalty
 
Tarasadies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,092
Default

Now, I am going to disagree a bit with TrueFaith. Last year I sold my Batman collection, all loose, and was absolutely stunned at what the action figures sold for. Here is the key that helped so much: I shipped internationally. You have sellers who have been burned and won't go that way again (I did once as well, selling a BAF Mojo to Mexico that I ended up not getting paid for), but international buyers accounted for nearly 40% of my action figure sales. On top of that, I received a lot of bids from international bidders which drove up the price of those action figures, even the ones that sold to bidders in the US...
Tarasadies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2014, 10:22:03 AM   #12
TrueFaith
Moderator
 
TrueFaith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Bay State, USA
Posts: 11,957
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rome View Post
Thanks a lot guys, that's exactly what I needed to know. It looks like I can't escape the work. It will be a matter of taking a picture of each item, cataloging it through research ( and with your help), then trying eBay. Problem is there are hundreds of these.

Now truefaith thanks for the info. I really wanted to know what kind of market there was out there for these things. Reading your post helped a lot. For a second I was getting excited that she could make out. We'll have to see.

Thanks all
Nobody is getting rich selling action figures.
Aside from maybe Marvel Legends pieces of the better-known characters like Deadpool or Captain America I've never seen action figures go for any kind of decent money in this economy. My collection ranged from the early Toy Biz X-Men to Marvel Legends. I had well over 100 figures, all in mint unopened condition, including lots of rarities, "case bonus" figures, and low-edition mail-aways. It became apparent early on that no matter how low I would start the auctions there really wasn't much interest out there. The time spent photographing and listing them (and of course eBay listing fees) is rarely reciprocated.
You can check this yourself by simply watching in real time as the many auctions in the "action figures" section of eBay expire without a single bid, no matter the asking price. If you want more proof just find a dozen or so figures similar to what you want to sell and put them on your eBay "watch list". Come back after the auctions and you will no doubt see that the vast majority of them failed to sell or even get interest.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2014, 01:22:33 PM   #13
Citizen Alpha
Moderator
 
Citizen Alpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Cypress, Texas
Posts: 3,831
Default

I don't really pay much attention to action figures as there were never really my thing...not since Star Wars anyway. Having said that, I've seen some pretty surpising prices for those Marvel Secret Wars pieces. After listening to the Ace and Rome podcast, I can't see Ace snatching up any of the fly by night type characters given his love of the classics. Never know what treasures he might have. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. They are worth zero dollars sitting on the shelf.

I'd be happy to buy a lot sight unseen if it will help. I can't say they would be well looked after as I would just give them to my nephews.


RIP, Kirk (aka Ace). You will be missed, brother.

A little about me: http://www.statuemarvels.com/f410/ci...pha-14179.html

My collection thread:
http://www.statuemarvels.com/f296/ci...eum-17158.html

My custom conversions:
http://www.statuemarvels.com/f224/ci...ead-21034.html
Citizen Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2014, 01:38:46 PM   #14
rome
Statue Marvels Royalty
 
rome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,820
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Alpha View Post
I don't really pay much attention to action figures as there were never really my thing...not since Star Wars anyway. Having said that, I've seen some pretty surpising prices for those Marvel Secret Wars pieces. After listening to the Ace and Rome podcast, I can't see Ace snatching up any of the fly by night type characters given his love of the classics. Never know what treasures he might have. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. They are worth zero dollars sitting on the shelf.

I'd be happy to buy a lot sight unseen if it will help. I can't say they would be well looked after as I would just give them to my nephews.
Dude,.. you're seriously a rock star.
Hopefully it won't come to that for now. but man does the offer touch my heart.
rome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2014, 01:42:52 PM   #15
rome
Statue Marvels Royalty
 
rome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,820
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarasadies View Post
Now, I am going to disagree a bit with TrueFaith. Last year I sold my Batman collection, all loose, and was absolutely stunned at what the action figures sold for. Here is the key that helped so much: I shipped internationally. You have sellers who have been burned and won't go that way again (I did once as well, selling a BAF Mojo to Mexico that I ended up not getting paid for), but international buyers accounted for nearly 40% of my action figure sales. On top of that, I received a lot of bids from international bidders which drove up the price of those action figures, even the ones that sold to bidders in the US...
Cool,.. this is very good information. I'm fluctuating from hopeful to despair on this thread . truth be told I don't think she's looking to like make a killing or anything,, ideally if she could even sell them at purchase price that would be great. (heck at this stage I'd advise her to take $1 per)
My problem is I'm a state away from her so I can't hop over and take care of it. I'll have to plan a trip where I can do the job.
rome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2014, 01:46:03 PM   #16
rome
Statue Marvels Royalty
 
rome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,820
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
Nobody is getting rich selling action figures.
Aside from maybe Marvel Legends pieces of the better-known characters like Deadpool or Captain America I've never seen action figures go for any kind of decent money in this economy. My collection ranged from the early Toy Biz X-Men to Marvel Legends. I had well over 100 figures, all in mint unopened condition, including lots of rarities, "case bonus" figures, and low-edition mail-aways. It became apparent early on that no matter how low I would start the auctions there really wasn't much interest out there. The time spent photographing and listing them (and of course eBay listing fees) is rarely reciprocated.
You can check this yourself by simply watching in real time as the many auctions in the "action figures" section of eBay expire without a single bid, no matter the asking price. If you want more proof just find a dozen or so figures similar to what you want to sell and put them on your eBay "watch list". Come back after the auctions and you will no doubt see that the vast majority of them failed to sell or even get interest.

Thanks man,.. good news is I don't think she's looking to get rich on them. If I could just move them for her. We're talking a collection going on 20 years so that's a lot of pieces.
rome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2014, 02:33:37 PM   #17
Tarasadies
Statue Marvels Royalty
 
Tarasadies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,092
Default

A few years ago I held a sports card and memorabilia charity show with all table proceeds going to the American Cancer Society. I was approached at the show by a woman in her late 20's carrying a box of binders. She told me the story of how her dad had died a couple months before and these binders were in his house and she wanted to know if she had anything of value.

She didn't bring everything she had, but what she did have with her were complete Topps Baseball sets from the 50's and 60's all in 9 pocket sleeves. The cards were in great condition, not mint but not far from it either. The girl had bank. I referred her to a couple of the better known auction houses and a couple of the bigger sports card buyers.

Before the young lady fully understood what I was telling her, she offered the whole lot to me for 2k. By the time I was done explaining to her what she had, she was crying. It was an awesome experience...

So, your friend won't know if there is anything of value unless they ask. Good luck!
Tarasadies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2014, 03:08:34 PM   #18
TrueFaith
Moderator
 
TrueFaith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Bay State, USA
Posts: 11,957
Default

At one time the Marvel Secret Wars figures were selling for good money, but they suffered from the bust in the collectables market a few years ago just like everything else.
I think the real culprit is companies like Bowen Designs and Gentle Giant. Many collectors like myself (and maybe Ace too) started on action figures years ago because they were the best (and ONLY) 3D representations of our favorite characters we could find. Once Bowen mini-busts came along they took a HUGE bite out of the disposable income that was going to action figures. Instead of buying 5 action figures, many collectors preferred to spend that $40 on one mini-bust of much better quality.
The more detailed statues and busts became the more action figures just couldn't compete for quality and the only collectors that still had much interest in them were the ones who couldn't afford mini-busts or statues. That's probably why there seem to be more foreign buyers, because of even less disposable income in countries other than the US.
So it's partly Randy Bowen's fault the bottom fell out of the action figure market.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




Copyright 2008 - statuemarvels.com