Help Support SM:

Spider-Man
Bowen Statues
Sideshow on eBay
Amazon Home Page
General-Marvel Collectibles
Conan
XM Studios

Go Back   STATUE M A R V E L S > THE SPINNER RACK - Comic Book Related > VINTAGE MARVEL & DC COMIC ACTION FIGURES & COLLECTIBLES

View Poll Results: Should Marvel Bring Back Their Classic Creator Calendars?
Yes! 19 100.00%
No Interest 0 0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Starter dusty abell Replies 23 Views 6143  Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscription
share |
share topic

Old December 23rd, 2012, 04:26:14 PM   #1
dusty abell

Default Classic Retro Themed Marvel Comics 2013 Calendar by dusty abell

Well, half of us here are pretty nostalgic silver and bronze era fans and collectors so in lieu of another "whats your favorite (insert name here) statue poll heres my take on the old 70's Marvel Calendar, updated for next year but with all the fun retro goodness of my childhood.
Man, have I waited a LONG time to finally put this incredibly nostalgic memory from childhood together! This is my take on updating the CLASSIC Marvel Comics Calendars from the the mid 1970's that I grew up loving as a kid, particularly the 75', 76' (Bicentenial Year inspired artwork in that one was crazy fun) and 77' releases. Unfortunately the format was abandoned in the early 80's which has given way to 25 years worth of pretty uninspired calendar releases if you ask me. Well, this is what i'd want to see up on my wall and I hope you might enjoy it a bit as well. Do a search online too see what the "original" calendars looked like to see what I was going for. The corny lines were DEFINITELY part of the original as were the creators Birthdays, which was when the veil behind the scenes of comic books was first parted for me, offering a glimpse of the creators who produced the comics I loved so much.
I'm using some of my favorite illustrations by many of my favorite artists in the comic book business, often little seen commissions and rarer published material that may have been relegated to a back cover or used in the commercial advertising end of the industry. This piece includes work by John Byrne, Jack Kirby, Andrew Robinson, Don Heck, Art Adams, Walt Simonson, John Romita Sr., Herb Trimpe, Mike Mignola, Michael Golden, Paul Smith, Walden Wong & Ian Sokoliwski. Download it and tack it up on your wall, it's the next best thing we'll unfortunately probably never see officialy. I hope I have it in me to continue for the rest of the year, I'm already thinking about Febuary! Have a great holiday everyone and Happy New Year!
By the way, you can go see and download a HUGE version at my Deviantart site here- Retro inspired 2013 Marvel Comics Calendar, Jan. by *dusty-abell on deviantART

Last edited by dusty abell; December 23rd, 2012 at 05:45:22 PM..
dusty abell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old December 23rd, 2012, 04:59:41 PM   #2
MutantXavier
Statue Marvels Royalty

man, i want one of this.

:::WAITLISTS from the 90s:::

Colossus
Gambit
Jubilee
Dazzler
Havok
MutantXavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2012, 05:35:30 PM   #3
ren
Statue Marvels Royalty

Me too, fantastic work !
ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2012, 05:45:28 PM   #4
Gammaguy
Statue Marvels Royalty

Wow!!! That is beyond cool, DA.

Do...or do not. There is no try.
Gammaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2012, 05:51:00 PM   #5
shebawyck
Statue Marvels Trend Setter

Your choices and creativity are awesome! Definitely flashing back to the old days when comics were FUN! Thank you
shebawyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2012, 06:29:56 PM   #6
Citizen Alpha

Awesome! Thanks for sharing this :-)

RIP, Kirk (aka Ace). You will be missed, brother.

A little about me: http://www.statuemarvels.com/f410/ci...pha-14179.html

My collection thread:
http://www.statuemarvels.com/f296/ci...eum-17158.html

My custom conversions:
http://www.statuemarvels.com/f224/ci...ead-21034.html
Citizen Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2012, 08:38:33 AM   #7
ukmarvelfan
Statue Marvels Royalty

LOVE IT! LOVE IT! LOVE IT!! Bring on the next 11 months. Oh, and a very merry Christmas and New Year!
ukmarvelfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2012, 10:37:24 AM   #8
Thor

Wow, very nice. Great job dusty abell.
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2012, 10:55:12 AM   #9
Bezzerkerr
Statue Marvels Royalty

pretty cool, but u posted this in the wrong section

Bezzerkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2012, 04:57:48 PM   #10
HoldyourfireAl
Administrator

I LOVE this! The 1970s Marvel Calenders were fantastic! They didn't just reuse art, they hired the artists to create new illustrations! I would love to see a Classic Marvel Calender done every year by the Silver & Bronze Age artists with the Modern guys kept far away!

Join the Statue Marvels Facebook Group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/Statuemarvels/
HoldyourfireAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2012, 05:00:10 PM   #11
HoldyourfireAl
Administrator

Want a peek at what these old calenders looked like? Check out this thread:
http://www.statuemarvels.com/f118/vintage-marvel-calendars-1731.html
Old December 24th, 2012, 06:25:22 PM   #12
meteorman69
Statue Marvels Royalty

Nice! Silver Age and even into the Bronze Age comics were the best! I would love to have a classic calendar like this!
meteorman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2012, 12:17:49 AM   #13
Paty

HAW...HAW...HAW...
and you know who put these calendars together... did all the boardwork with art and photos... WITHOUT COMPUTERS!!!???
I DID!
lol
Paty
Paty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2012, 08:43:07 PM   #14
dusty abell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paty View Post
HAW...HAW...HAW...
and you know who put these calendars together... did all the boardwork with art and photos... WITHOUT COMPUTERS!!!???
I DID!
lol
Paty
Hey Paty..........you just made my day, month, year! You can not understand how much I LOVED these calendars as a kid, I read every line and studied every picture in them when I was little. Just knowing you were the one behind the scenes cobbling it all together is a revelation! Can I ask who art directed it, who came up with the look of the calendar, particularly the tri color format that would alternate different colors throughout the year. The January 2013 entry took me over a day and a half to produce, creating the template and culling together all the artwork and doing all the manipulating that needed to be done to make it all work. I CAN NOT imaging cutting out artwork with scissors (is that what you did?) and pasting it all up, how long did it take to complete one full year long calender if I can ask? I'm glad you got a kick out of my little attempt at putting together an homage to what you helped create all those years ago now. It seems to really be hitting a chord with the older fans for sure. It's just a testament to how great the originals were and still are! If somethings not broke, don't fix it!

Ok, I can't stop, these are so much fun to put together! This is the second entry in my hopefully year long homage to the Marvel Calenders of my childhood, here's Feb. 2013 including a magnificent splash piece of the Thing by artist Mike McKone and various pin-ups, clip art and comic art by Neal Adams, Tom Palmer, Paul Smith, Bob Wiacek, Dave Johnson, Andrew Robinson, Michael Golden, Ron Frenz, Dave Cockrum, Bruce Timm, Walt Simonson, Jack Kirby, Chris Samnee & John Byrne!

Old December 26th, 2012, 09:09:01 PM   #15
shebawyck

Marvel (and DC) should just create a new department called "RETRO", and start getting serious about appeasing us oldies but goodies. My god, can you FIND a more willing- to-part-with-their-money group of peoples? I've mortgaged my HOUSE to buy model kits of B-grade movie monsters, or (ahem) statues of my favorite comic heroes from world class artists, etc. etc. etc.

Thanks for your hard work, it's greatly appreciated (and enjoyed!!!)
shebawyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2012, 09:20:51 PM   #16
HoldyourfireAl
Administrator

I added a poll to this thread & am going to post links to it on other boards & Facebook! I'd love to see Marvel grant Dusty a license to start producing these again utilizing the talents of their 1960s & 1970s creators! Let's make this happen!!!
Old December 29th, 2012, 10:26:17 PM   #17
Darth Snoopy

I LOVE this idea!
Darth Snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2012, 02:59:15 PM   #18
HoldyourfireAl
Administrator

C'mon folks! VOTE!
Old January 1st, 2013, 10:17:01 PM   #19
dusty abell

MARCH 2013, Retro style.......Ok, the hardest part is finding the photographs............. the second hardest part was getting the color reference on all these obscure as hell bad guys that I needed to color for the big pin-up......it's originally a black and white page from the 1977 Mighty Marvel Superheroes Fun Book #2, artist UNKNOWN, if anybody has a clue I'd love to find out! I always dug that mess of villains when I was little, I never thought I'd end up coloring the Space Turnip some day.... yeah, he's in there!

I LOVE the flow of this one, great art all around! Other artists include Chris Sprouse, Chris Samnee, Jaime Hernandez, Kerry Gammil, Guy Davis, John Byrne, Scott Williams, George Perez, Jason Pearson, Chris Bachalo, Ed Mc Guinness, Dave Johnson, John Romita Sr. and Andrew Robinson!
Old January 1st, 2013, 11:05:17 PM   #20
HoldyourfireAl
Administrator

AMAZING work!