Help Support SM:

Amazon Home Page
Sideshow on eBay
General-Marvel Collectibles
Bowen Statues
Site Support
XM Studios
Spider-Man

Go Back   STATUE M A R V E L S > BOWEN DESIGNS STATUES & MINI BUSTS > BOWEN DESIGNS MARVEL COMICS STATUE & MINI BUSTS: DISCUSSION FORUM

Thread Starter 97thAcolyte Replies 4 Views 1710  Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscription
share |
share topic

Old June 26th, 2017, 08:05:37 PM   #1
97thAcolyte
Statue Marvels Trend Setter

Default Question Re: Full size Invisible Woman Clear conversion

Hi all, hoping somebody can help...

I'm planning a custom conversion from an Invisible Woman statue as it's clear resin. There's a cheap one on eBay currently, but it's not the one that's all clear, It's this one:

My question is, is this one clear all the way through, and just painted over? I'm assuming it is, but just wanted to check before I buy it. Thanks!

Also, how would I 'adjust' clear resin? Is it possible to, for example, sand it down and polish back to clear?
97thAcolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old June 27th, 2017, 01:28:02 AM   #2
HedgeHog

You Would be better off waiting to purchase an all clear version, if you want all clear. If sanded, the amount of work to bring the piece back to a polished looking clear surface is more work than you imagine. You would be using buffing compounds that are abrasive, which tend to remove material, sometime enough to make a noticeable difference, especially on plastic, which is soft. This piece may also not be clear throughout, the top half and bottom may have been cast separately, with different plastics (clear and grey, for example, and joined together and then painted to match... but I do not know if this is the way it was made.
The other thing you could do is make a flexible mould of Sue Storm and cast her in clear resin. Some of them need to be degassed, so you would have to do some research. Shrinkage is minimal, depending on the material. This way you could make all the custom pieces you wanted. The Smooth-On casting material website is helpful.
HedgeHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2017, 07:18:21 AM   #3
TrueFaith

I'm sure it's all clear resin under the paint.
The problem is, you can't see the quality of that resin until you remove the paint.
It could very well contain several or many "occlusions", or air bubbles trapped in the molding process.
You can see these in the Eternity mini-bust if you back-light it and look closely.
In clear resin rather than dark blue, they would only be more noticeable.
Bowen used acrylic paints on their products, so you could try stripping the paint with an acrylic paint thinner, but that's a lot of work if you end up with an unusable piece because of occlusions.
I agree with HedgeHog that your best option is to wait to purchase an all-clear version and save yourself a lot of trouble.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2017, 09:11:08 PM   #4
97thAcolyte

Okay... Thanks guys! Looks like I'll have to keep hunting then.

That casting idea sounds interesting... I'll look into that. Thanks!
97thAcolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2017, 05:27:08 AM   #5
HedgeHog

I like Smooth-on's Rebound40.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97thAcolyte View Post
Okay... Thanks guys! Looks like I'll have to keep hunting then.

That casting idea sounds interesting... I'll look into that. Thanks!
HedgeHog is offline   Reply With Quote