Help Support SM:

Site Support
XM Studios
Sideshow on eBay
General-Marvel Collectibles
Bowen Statues
Spider-Man
Amazon Home Page

Go Back   STATUE M A R V E L S > BOWEN DESIGNS STATUES & MINI BUSTS > BOWEN DESIGNS MARVEL COMICS STATUE & MINI BUSTS: DISCUSSION FORUM

View Poll Results: Do you miss Bowen Designs?
Yes! 208 81.25%
Kinda... 33 12.89%
Honestly, not really. 14 5.47%
Who? 1 0.39%
Voters: 256. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Starter HoldyourfireAl Replies 935 Views 117416  Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscription
share |
share topic

Old August 14th, 2014, 08:07:38 PM   #41
Cobra Kai
Statue Marvels Trend Setter

Quote:
Originally Posted by khufutaron View Post
I briefly thought it might be a Phase 6 announcement thread, but that type of news usually leaks from all types of sources - twitter, facebook, other forums, etc... So, I kind of figured it was a reset - so no fooling me Al!!! jk....

Sadly, I voted "kinda"... each day that goes by without any product just pushes my wandering eyes towards other companies and their offerings. The one thing I loved most in this world has to a certain extent become "contaminated" with infighting, flipping, gouging, hoarding, etc... It just feels all wrong - the last 6 months or so just feel "blah". That's the sad reality for me. I'm just not excited by something I was tremendously passionate about prior to this time period.

The positive is I still really enjoy this community, and I've learned to expand my "Bowen statue collecting" to "statue collecting" without discrimination between companies. A cool statue is a cool statue. I used to turn my nose up at SSC collectors and statues, but now that I own one, I can see the appeal. So, as everything evolves, my collecting habits have evolved. I'm excited by what XM is doing. I can't wait to see that SSC Darth Vader PF. I'm intrigued by SSC Court of the Dead. And so on....

So, in a sense, I guess my grieving period is over and I'm moving on. I'm not giving up on Bowen, but I'm not going all-in on them anymore either. I guess that's why I voted "kinda" instead of "Yes!". Whatever the future holds, I will still be a collector of all things awesome and great in this hobby regardless of the company.
I know exactly what you mean. Over the past few months, my interest in this hobby has really dropped off. I still love looking at my collection, but right now, I feel very little passion about adding to it. The shelf life is expiring. It's time to move on.
Cobra Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old August 14th, 2014, 09:27:05 PM   #42
gomur
Statue Marvels Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
I hope nobody takes this as another attempt to "defend" Randy or anything, because it's my opinion alone.
That said, given the person I've come to know Randy Bowen to be through years of being a customer and fan of his art and business, I'd have to say that your fears are completely groundless. Not only does Randy not gain anything from withholding bad news if there is any, but I don't personally believe that he's the kind of person who would intentionally leave us in the dark about something we care so passionately about. Good news or bad, he's always been up front with us and a person more than worthy of our trust. I fully expect him to post whatever announcement he has for us when negotiations are finally concluded, just as he has already promised to do.
While I've admired Randy's work for some time, I haven't been a fan as long as you or others. I only started collecting Bowens this past year. In fact, I opened a membership with his Collectors Club in November - completely unaware of the negotiations taking place. Suffice it to say I haven't reaped the benefits of said membership, but the Vault sales have more than compensated. Given the attention to detail he pays to his pieces and customers' opinions, I have little reason to doubt his integrity. However, he would benefit from remaining hush on a failed negotiation, if only to facilitate selling remaining Marvel inventory. I hope this is not the case and would like nothing more than an official Phase 6 announcement. Still, the mind does wander the longer things go without any word whatsoever.
gomur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2014, 09:52:04 PM   #43
Eru
Statue Marvels Royalty

get a refund on the membership.

New blood joins this earth
Eru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2014, 10:53:55 PM   #44
TrueFaith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eru View Post
get a refund on the membership.
Yeah, I'd call Bowen Designs and check on a refund.
They haven't been sending out notices to renew memberships since new statues and busts haven't been solicited.
I imagine a new membership payment might have easily been processed amid all their other payments without really being noticed.
They'd probably refund it if you pointed out the fact that it hasn't been used.

And your suspicion that Randy would benefit from not announcing an end of his relationship with Marvel because he wants to sell off his remaining inventory is not only extremely cynical, but it is the least likely motivation I would ever attribute to someone like him, simply because I have known him a lot longer than you.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2014, 11:05:25 PM   #45
Rocky Raccoon
Statue Marvels Hatchling

At this point, so late into 2014, it would almost make sense for Bowen Designs to start a new phase/contract with new items for pre-order in January 2015 and skip 2014 entirely, wouldn't it?

That's how I'm justifying not being worried that we haven't heard about a new contract after eight months, anyway...
Rocky Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2014, 11:42:22 PM   #46
gomur
Statue Marvels Royalty

Quote:
Yeah, I'd call Bowen Designs and check on a refund.
They haven't been sending out notices to renew memberships since new statues and busts haven't been solicited.
I imagine a new membership payment might have easily been processed amid all their other payments without really being noticed.
They'd probably refund it if you pointed out the fact that it hasn't been used.

And your suspicion that Randy would benefit from not announcing an end of his relationship with Marvel because he wants to sell off his remaining inventory is not only extremely cynical, but it is the least likely motivation I would ever attribute to someone like him, simply because I have known him a lot longer than you.
Believe me, I hate thinking that way. And I hope I'm wrong on all counts.
gomur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2014, 12:33:06 PM   #47
Bezzerkerr
Statue Marvels Royalty

I agree eventually Bowen will be back one way or another. Will I be as interested as I once was? Probay not. Will I buy his products? Only time will tell.
Bezzerkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2014, 12:46:51 PM   #48
Bezzerkerr
Statue Marvels Royalty

Quote:

Lol. The only one who knows the truth is Randy.
Old August 15th, 2014, 06:37:12 PM   #49
TrueFaith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bezzerkerr View Post
Lol. The only one who knows the truth is Randy.
As a wise old friend once told me...
"Character reveals itself over time. It shows itself in consistent behavior."
I can't say I'm surprised in the least that this appears to be a foreign concept to you.
Old August 15th, 2014, 06:48:13 PM   #50
elurew
Statue Marvels Royalty

i hate the title of this thread... please change to something that isnt so misleading...

My Collection

My Photobucket page

My Most Wanted FS pieces
Astonishing Cat Beast
Museum Modern Kitty Pryde
Astonishing Collosus
Angela
Ultimate Thor (Hitch)
Ultimate Iron Man (Hitch)
Any modern guardians of the galaxy characters
elurew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2014, 02:20:58 AM   #51
Bezzerkerr
Statue Marvels Royalty

Quote:
As a wise old friend once told me...
"Character reveals itself over time. It shows itself in consistent behavior."
I can't say I'm surprised in the least that this appears to be a foreign concept to you.
when discussing all thing Bowen you consistently sound like a politician or campaign manager.
Old August 16th, 2014, 02:54:42 AM   #52
Vecchio1
Statue Marvels Royalty

Tease, nothing worse than a tease. If they come back, they come back. I hope they do. If not, move on. They had a great run. Downsides are SSC/XM are expensive and Koto takes too long.
Vecchio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2014, 11:15:44 AM   #53
TrueFaith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bezzerkerr View Post
when discussing all thing Bowen you consistently sound like a politician or campaign manager.
I'm not sure why that should irritate you so much.
One of the primary requirements of a campaign manager is believing 100% in your candidate of choice.
I'm certainly not going to apologize for believing that Randy Bowen appreciates his fans and consistently goes out of his way to show it.
Proof of that can be found in abundance on this site going back years since he first began contributing his time here.
The fact that he's currently involved in delicate negotiations and is unable to participate here on SM as much as he has in the past doesn't change that, regardless of your unfathomable desire to stick a fork in him and his company lately.
There are a lot worse things in this world than being called out for being overtly loyal to someone who's shown you nothing but kindness and consideration in every interaction you've ever had with them.
Old August 16th, 2014, 12:40:09 PM   #54
Andy

Quote:
I'm not sure why that should irritate you so much.
One of the primary requirements of a campaign manager is believing 100% in your candidate of choice.
I'm certainly not going to apologize for believing that Randy Bowen appreciates his fans and consistently goes out of his way to show it.
Proof of that can be found in abundance on this site going back years since he first began contributing his time here.
The fact that he's currently involved in delicate negotiations and is unable to participate here on SM as much as he has in the past doesn't change that, regardless of your unfathomable desire to stick a fork in him and his company lately.
There are a lot worse things in this world than being called out for being overtly loyal to someone who's shown you nothing but kindness and consideration in every interaction you've ever had with them.
Good words TF!

Action Figure Blues - AF & Statue Reviews
http://www.actionfigureblues.com/
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2014, 09:26:46 PM   #55
heirtoasguard
Statue Marvels Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Raccoon View Post
At this point, so late into 2014, it would almost make sense for Bowen Designs to start a new phase/contract with new items for pre-order in January 2015 and skip 2014 entirely, wouldn't it?

That's how I'm justifying not being worried that we haven't heard about a new contract after eight months, anyway...
no, not really. ever heard about "Out of sight, out of mind." I've been collecting comics for over 30 years and now I can go a month without even buying a comic. and with the competition out there with statues I would think again.
heirtoasguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2014, 02:57:24 AM   #56
Vecchio1
Statue Marvels Royalty

Truefaith can be the spokesman for the movement. Man has nothing negative on the situation. Most of us are not on 1st name bases with Bowen, you are a good friend/customer for defending him. Marvel has countless outlets begging for a license. All the movies coming in the next 6 years, it's only gonna get bigger. It's not like marvel statues are finished. Like I said if Bowen doesn't return it will suck, but I'm sure everyone can move on.
Vecchio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2014, 03:11:08 PM   #57
zuff25
Statue Marvels Royalty

I thought Id be more annoyed about stuff not being available but to be honest Im not to bent out of shape about it.

Marvel Comics generally has been less enjoyable to me for the past 4 to 5 years so much that for the first time in my life my pull list is predominantly DC. The only 2 Marvel books Im currently reading are Amazing Spider-man and Daredevil. Ive stopped reading Xforce, Thor, Captain America and a multitude of other books. Then have lost my interest.

Ive also been buying Gentle Giant and Sideshow product so Im not going without new stuff into the house.

Someone said " out of Sight , out of mind "before and that seems to apply for me.
zuff25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2014, 03:29:56 PM   #58
hockeyflow33

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuff25 View Post
I thought Id be more annoyed about stuff not being available but to be honest Im not to bent out of shape about it.

Marvel Comics generally has been less enjoyable to me for the past 4 to 5 years so much that for the first time in my life my pull list is predominantly DC. The only 2 Marvel books Im currently reading are Amazing Spider-man and Daredevil. Ive stopped reading Xforce, Thor, Captain America and a multitude of other books. Then have lost my interest.

Ive also been buying Gentle Giant and Sideshow product so Im not going without new stuff into the house.

Someone said " out of Sight , out of mind "before and that seems to apply for me.

I'm in the same boat as you, other than Spiderman and Guardians, there aren't any other Marvel books I buy but I'm always picking up DC books every week. I've gone back and read a bunch of the original runs of FF, Avengers, X-Men, etc and despite the outdated language, they're good.
hockeyflow33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2014, 08:55:42 PM   #59
khufutaron
Statue Marvels Royalty

Yesterday, when I blew out my birthday candles I wished for another Marvel phase from Bowen. So, since its a law of the universe that birthday wishes come true - there will be another Marvel phase - count on it!

Bowen Collection -- SSC & XM Collection -- Fine Art Collection Part 1 & Part 2
Star Wars X-Mas -- JEEP Trails -- Coming Soon
khufutaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2014, 11:51:58 PM   #60
Kev Agent of The Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by khufutaron View Post
Yesterday, when I blew out my birthday candles I wished for another Marvel phase from Bowen. So, since its a law of the universe that birthday wishes come true - there will be another Marvel phase - count on it!
Good man. My thanks for spending your wish on something for all of us.
Kev
Kev Agent of The Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bowen designs, marvel mini busts, marvel statues, randy bowen