Help Support SM:

Amazon Home Page
Site Support
Sideshow on eBay
Bowen Statues
Spider-Man
General-Marvel Collectibles
XM Studios

Go Back   STATUE M A R V E L S > CARVE AWAY THE STONE: COMIC STATUE PROS & GARAGE KITS > COMIC STATUE PROS & GARAGE KIT GALLERY

View Poll Results: Do You Like Citizen Alpha's Custom Conversions?
Yes! 5 17.86%
Heck, yes! 23 82.14%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Starter Citizen Alpha Replies 450 Views 42588  Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscription
share |
share topic

Old October 29th, 2012, 11:39:28 PM   #1
Citizen Alpha

Default Citizen Alpha's Custom Conversion Thread

So those of you who know me, you know that since I've joined this forum I have tried my hand at sculpting, kit building and painting. Just when I thought this hobby couldn't drain one more cent out of me, Northstar and Kilowog75 have teased, tempted and tormented me with customized busts. What the hell - I'm game.

I don't think I will create separate threads as I move from project to project, but will keep them all here (assuming there will be more) with a few thoughts about how I went about costumizing them. Just like everything else I've tried, I'm going in with jack and sh*t for experience, but at least I have the benefit of some helpful hints from Kilowog75. Thanks, Jon!

Here is my current list of bust purchased for customizing along with who I hope to convert them to:

Bowen US Agent - Red Guardian I (completed pics on page 1, post #12)

Bowen Phase 1 DD - Patriot, Jeff Mace (completed pic on page 1, post #17)

Bowen Zorro - El Aguila (ally of Power Man & Iron Fist) completed pic pg2 post#32

Bowen Goliath - Powerman/Goliath (Erik Josten)

Bowen Havok - Angar the Screamer

Bowen Submariner - Starfox - a serious Starfox to be displayed with Thanos.

Bowen DD Original Costume - Night Thrasher (early New Warriors look)

Bowen Banshee - Texas Twister

Bowen Classic Scorpion - undecided

Bowen Original Wonderman - George Perez Wonderman

Bowen Kingpin - strictly a repaint so I can have in green

Bowen Constrictor - Unicorn

CS Moore Savage Dragon - Demolition Man AKA D-Man

And first up on the butcher's block...

RIP, Kirk (aka Ace). You will be missed, brother.

A little about me: http://www.statuemarvels.com/f410/ci...pha-14179.html

My collection thread:
http://www.statuemarvels.com/f296/ci...eum-17158.html

My custom conversions:
http://www.statuemarvels.com/f224/ci...ead-21034.html

Last edited by Citizen Alpha; December 6th, 2012 at 05:31:10 AM..
Citizen Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old October 29th, 2012, 11:41:57 PM   #2
Citizen Alpha

Red Guardian

I started with a Bowen US Agent bust (read as readily available and cheap on the bay).

Lucky for me it was also a good base for a Red Guardian. Being my first go at it, I figured I might as well keep it simple.

I started off by giving him a bath in Acetone. After about 10-15 minutes his paint literally came off like a mask. A few areas where stubborn so i started with a tooth brush then worked my way up to a wire brush for the trouble spots.

I then used a dremel (definitely takes some getting use to) to grind down the costume elements on his chest as well as the wings on his mask.

Once that was done, I gave him a good sanding and started to mix my Aves Apoxie Sculpt. I started off by filling in a few low spots like where the star was on originally on his chest as well as few low spots of my own creation. Like I said, the dremel takes some getting use to.

I added a star to his chest. I was surprised how danged hard it was so make a star. Anywho - I then filled in the lines on his shield and the mohawk thingy on his head. After letting it set all day, I sanded the shield and added a star to it as well.

All the areas where Aves was added will be sanded down once I get home from work tomorrow. By the time it's ready to be primed everything should be nice and smoothed out. With any luck, the lines on his shield will have been properly filled the first time around so once primed, the lines will be invisible.

More updates on Red Guardian as available.

Last edited by Citizen Alpha; October 29th, 2012 at 11:52:16 PM..
Old October 30th, 2012, 12:01:33 AM   #3
Citizen Alpha

I also started on a second bust. Working on these in conjuction with a paint-up for one of our marvelous forum members. Unfortunately I can show that one so I'll jump right into my second (or 1B) attempt, which is Patriot (Jeff Mace) from the Liberty Legion.

I started off with a Bowen Phase 1 Daredevil bust. Again - keeping it simple. It helps that even though he is wearing a mask, his ears are clearly visible. Less work for me later.

The prep was the same as before - acetone bath, brushing and sanding, filling and more sanding, then adding costume details with Aves. The lines on his face are just to remind me where his mask likes will be. Haven't exactly figured out how I will score the bust around the eyes to accomodate the new/larger eye holes, but I'm guessing I will be using the diamond shape bit from my dremmel. I'm thinking I'll be adding detail to the ears the same way. The red piece on his head is just a piece of red foam I cut to give a better idea of what I'm going for. I'll shorten it up (height) when I actually add it with Aves.

As far as the two small stars around his lower ribcage, I think I will probably hand paint them. Big stars were a pain with Aves...I'm guessing little stars would be even harder.

Again - the chest detail will be sanded down for a lower profile before it's primed.

More updates on the Patriot as available.
Old October 30th, 2012, 08:40:46 AM   #4
Northstar
Statue Marvels Royalty

WOW! They are looking Great Kenn.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 06:48:57 PM   #5
Citizen Alpha

Was able to work a little more on Red Guardian. Sanded down the star on the shield and threw some paint on RG. At this point all i really have left to do is a little touch-up paint, recoat the base with the airbrush and then paint the shield.

Old October 30th, 2012, 08:14:03 PM   #6
jlr3266
Statue Marvels Trend Setter

Great work!
jlr3266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 08:38:35 PM   #7
Smashdaddy
Marvel MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Alpha View Post
Was able to work a little more on Red Guardian. Sanded down the star on the shield and threw some paint on RG. At this point all i really have left to do is a little touch-up paint, recoat the base with the airbrush and then paint the shield.

DANG...!!! Looks awesome Kenn...!!!

What can't you do...???
Smashdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2012, 10:08:38 PM   #8
kilowog75
Statue Marvels Royalty

He looks great Kenn! Looking forward to seeing more.
kilowog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 03:08:24 PM   #9
Citizen Alpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashdaddy View Post
DANG...!!! Looks awesome Kenn...!!!

What can't you do...???
If you would like my wife's number she would be happy to provide you a long list :-)

Thanks for the kind words, guys.
Old October 31st, 2012, 03:11:10 PM   #10
Citizen Alpha

Quick update on Red Guardian - painted one side of shield so I just have the inside to paint. Haven't decided if I was going to go with a bare metal look, gloss white, or combo of white (perimeter) with metallic center.

Anywho - should have him done tonight if I can finish up the paint-up I'm working on.
Old October 31st, 2012, 05:32:56 PM   #11
Smashdaddy
Marvel MOD

Looks awesome...!!! If you're taking unsolicted votes, I say bare metal on the inside...
Smashdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 01:15:50 AM   #12
Citizen Alpha

Finished Red Guardian

Old November 1st, 2012, 01:25:15 AM   #13
Citizen Alpha

Patriot update:

Still working on his head a bit, but after adding the stars to his chest I noticed something...

It may be hard to tell in this picture because of the angle, but the left side of the bust (his right side) had quite a bit more rib area just below the pec than the other side. Once the stars where in place it was very noticeable. I ended up sanding about 1/8th-3/16th of an inch from the right side of the bust going down through the ribs and a little less once it reached the abdominal region.

The head has become somewhat of a challange because once he was stripped down you could see the right side of his face was noticeably different than the left side of his face (left and right respectively when facing them).One ear is larger, one cheek is smaller/more recessed and the space between the where the upper jaw is in relation to the ear was off as well - like naked eye off. I never noticed any of these problems before I guess because it was all red. Anywho - I'm guessing when he's all painted up again, the difference very well may fade from view again, so I'll probably won't spend a lot of time trying to fix anything. Quite frankly, I doubt I possess the ability to fix them even if I wanted to.
Old November 1st, 2012, 01:35:13 AM   #14
Citizen Alpha

After Patrtiot is completed I'm thinking Unicorn is next on the list. I really won't to do El Aguila, but A) don't think I'm ready to tackle that one just yet and B) I rarely get to use large amounts of green and orange in my paint-ups :-)

BTW - this isn't an original idea. I believe Furet03 commissioned this exact conversion years ago. I have always secretly envied Chris for owning that piece and will try to replicate as best I can.

edit: Change of plans. Havok will be converted to an Angar the Screamer

Last edited by Citizen Alpha; November 6th, 2012 at 01:19:04 AM..
Old November 1st, 2012, 09:57:54 AM   #15
nexus
Statue Marvels Royalty

Very nice conversions. I should start commissioning more of these since some characters are just never going to see the light of day and many base busts can be picked up pretty inexpensively. John Ficci did an absolutely amazing Orka conversion for me a while back.
nexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2012, 11:55:04 AM   #16
Citizen Alpha

I saw that Orka! Very nice. John is the absolute master of the custom conversion. He did a Radioactive Man (from Absorbing Man) and a Angar the Screamer (from Banshee?) that really planted the seed for me a couple of years ago.
Old November 2nd, 2012, 02:38:00 AM   #17
Citizen Alpha

Patriot (Jeff Mace/Liberty Legion) completed:

I decided to go with the darker blue as opposed to the lighter blue of the reference art. It's just my personal preference and given that I had planned to do the chest emblem in gold, I just thought it would look better with a darker blue and red. If I were doing this for someone else I would opted for the more comic accurate colors.

Last edited by Citizen Alpha; November 2nd, 2012 at 02:42:03 AM..
Old November 2nd, 2012, 08:24:39 PM   #18
jlr3266
Statue Marvels Trend Setter

Fantastic!
jlr3266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2012, 12:44:03 AM   #19
Citizen Alpha

Thanks!

So - as I usually do, after a few baby steps, I decided to jump in with both feet. Instead of Unicorn, I decided to take a stab at El Aguila coverted from a Bowen Zorro bust. For me - this is a very ambitious leap because I know up front there is going to be a lot of grinding and resculpting.

First off - he word that comes with the bust is not like the one in the production art. While the production art shows a rapier type blade, the actual sword has more of a longsword type blade.

Secondly - Furet's masterful conversion has El Aguila posed with the hat hanging on his back. I wanted to do mine a little differently and have him with his hat on. Partially so ours would be different and also I figured it would save me from building the top half of his head. Unfortunately, after grinding his cape away it became apparent that I would either have to resculpt his entire back (including the folds in the cloth) or just suck it up and just sculpt the top half of the head.

I went with building up the head. Sorry Furet - I tried :-)

I still have a long ways on this conversion. I have to resculpt his shoulders, some of the backs of his sleeves and back and reshape the sword which appears to be made of tin.

More updates as they become available.

For me - this is a very ambitious leap because I know up front

Last edited by Citizen Alpha; November 4th, 2012 at 12:57:19 AM..
Old November 4th, 2012, 04:01:22 AM   #20
skorpsta
Statue Marvels Royalty

ken!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!................im loving this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!......i have been building and painting kits and repainting statues for about 5 years now...and im such a fan of custom conversions...for my personal collection i have my customizer do all the custom sculpting then i paint them up...but this thread its def a inspiration to go for it!!...when it comes to customizing i can do like a terrian or a rock base..lol..but on a figure i need learn more...great work keep it up...i will be watching
skorpsta is offline   Reply With Quote