Help Support SM:

Amazon Home Page
General-Marvel Collectibles
Sideshow on eBay
Spider-Man
XM Studios
Site Support
Bowen Statues

Go Back   STATUE M A R V E L S > BOWEN DESIGNS STATUES & MINI BUSTS > BOWEN DESIGNS STATUES & MINI BUSTS: THE ARCHIVES

Thread Starter TrueFaith Replies 4 Views 9810  Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscription
share |
share topic

Old April 27th, 2011, 07:49:50 AM   #1
TrueFaith

Default Bowen Designs H.P. Lovecraft & Cthulu Busts

Howard Phillips Lovecraft, the most influential horror author of the 20th Century, beautifully sculpted by Stephen Hickman for Bowen Designs in 1999.

And his most famous creation, Cthulhu, High Priest of the Great Old Ones, also sculpted by Hickman.

These busts now sell in the neighborhood of $600-700 and are becoming increasingly scarce since few come up for resale. I'm sure many of them are sitting on the desks or in the librarys of today's master horror scribes, who cut their teeth on Lovecraft's stories like "At The Mountains of Madness" and "The Whisperer in Darkness" when they appeared in Weird Tales magazine.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old April 27th, 2011, 12:38:20 PM   #2
zuff25
Statue Marvels Royalty

I know this will sound ignorant so I apologize but I never realized Cthulhu was created by Lovecraft. I knew the image , and heard the Metallica song, seen the Southpark episode, but always assumed it was based off of some ancient cave drawings. Funny how you learn things from random places like forums

Thanks for the education,
Mike

Last edited by zuff25; April 27th, 2011 at 09:10:55 PM..
zuff25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2011, 06:21:52 PM   #3
TrueFaith

Don't feel too bad. That South Park episode was hysterical, but I doubt if 1 in 100 viewers knew Cthulhu wasn't just created by Matt & Trey for that episode, let alone that he was created by H. P. Lovecraft.
It's little referrences like that in modern culture that bring new fans to his work all the time. I became interested in Lovecraft in the 1960's because there was a psychadellic rock band named "H.P. Lovecraft" (I think they made exactly one album) during the "Summer of Love". Hearing it was named after a horror writer I was intregued enough to hunt down a volume of his short stories. After being completely terrified by "The Colour Out Of Space" I was hooked and read anything I could find by him.
I think the constant pop culture referrences to his work bring in as many new fans as King, Bloch, Koontz and so many other modern horror writers who cite him as a major influence in their writing.
I really have to wonder though, what he would have thought of how South Park portrayed his Great Old One!

TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2011, 06:47:42 PM   #4
joechristo
Statue Marvels Royalty

I have a 23 year old roommate who had no idea what Cthulhu was supposed to be, just thought it was a big Monster.

There has been a big Cthulhu resurgence as of late
some of the funnier things was a Bumper Sticker I saw,

Cthulhu for President "Why vote for a lesser evil."

A Jesus Fish type Cthulhu placard on the back of a car

and The South Park homage to
"Feed The Kitty" a Chuck Jones Looney Tunes Short

Feed the Kitty - TCM CLASSIC FILM UNION Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
Don't feel too bad. That South Park episode was hysterical, but I doubt if 1 in 100 viewers knew Cthulhu wasn't just created by Matt & Trey for that episode, let alone that he was created by H. P. Lovecraft.
It's little referrences like that in modern culture that bring new fans to his work all the time. I became interested in Lovecraft in the 1960's because there was a psychadellic rock band named "H.P. Lovecraft" (I think they made exactly one album) during the "Summer of Love". Hearing it was named after a horror writer I was intregued enough to hunt down a volume of his short stories. After being completely terrified by "The Colour Out Of Space" I was hooked and read anything I could find by him.
I think the constant pop culture referrences to his work bring in as many new fans as King, Bloch, Koontz and so many other modern horror writers who cite him as a major influence in their writing.
I really have to wonder though, what he would have thought of how South Park portrayed his Great Old One!

joechristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2013, 06:52:48 PM   #5
sash501
Statue Marvels Royalty

Don't you love the threads you find that have nothing to do with the search term. These are beautiful!!!

I REALLY WISH BD WEBSITE HAD A GALLERY OF THE THINGS BEFORE MARVEL!!

Sash's Bowen Collection Thread

If you see the collection thread in new posts, it's because new pics have been added.
sash501 is offline   Reply With Quote