Help Support SM:

Spider-Man
Sideshow on eBay
Amazon Home Page
General-Marvel Collectibles
XM Studios
Site Support
Bowen Statues

Go Back   STATUE M A R V E L S > COMIC STATUES GALLERY > COMIC STATUES & COMIC COLLECTIBLES PHOTO GALLERY > DISPLAY CASES for COMIC STATUES

Thread Starter Quilon Replies 20 Views 4090  Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscription
share |
share topic

Old January 12th, 2016, 03:07:00 PM   #1
Quilon
Statue Marvels Royalty

Default Detolf question

I have been thinking of getting a couple detolf. I do not like displaying one statue per shelf. I see on a lot of the collection threads that there are two and sometimes three statue per detolf shelf. So my question for you detolf owners is would it be more or less likely to fit three statues per shelf? I am not really worried about weight, I can reinforce the glass shelf or us Plexiglas if needed.
Quilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old January 12th, 2016, 03:15:23 PM   #2
bdogg_80
Statue Marvels Trend Setter

I think it is quite possible to do 3 statues per shelf, depending on the pose. I think most museum poses will work fine to have 3 per shelf. you will have to stagger the display a bit, but it looks quite sharp in a lot of setups

bdogg_80's statue collection thread

WTB:
Winter Soldier Bowen Statue
Luke Cage Retro Bowen Statue
Hela Bowen Bust
Beta Ray Bill Bust
bdogg_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2016, 03:38:50 PM   #3
leadin2
Statue Marvels Royalty

Here's BBRX807's display in detolf, perhaps it would help as a reference.
http://www.statuemarvels.com/f92/bbr...-18770-14.html
leadin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2016, 05:42:13 PM   #4
TrueFaith

I routinely place 3 or 4 full size Bowen statues on one detolf shelf and have been doing it for years without any problems.
The only thing limiting how many you can fit on one shelf is the sizes of the bases and museum statues especially usually have a small "footprint" making it easy to put up to 4 statues on a shelf.
If I recall correctly, the weight limit of individual glass shelves on detolfs is 14lbs.
That's hardly an issue though, since if you put 3 or 4 on one shelf the bases are close to the edge and very near or above the metal shelf support, distributing the total weight and making glass breakage from weight very unlikely. I'd only worry about placing one statue weighing 14lbs. or more directly in the center of the shelf. That's about the only time I'd strictly adhere to the weight limitations.
If you want to put a heavier statue on one shelf you can "double up" the glass or get thicker glass, but don't forget that welds on the metal frame are part of the weight limit equation also and could fail if too much weight is placed on them.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2016, 01:59:52 AM   #5
Vecchio1
Statue Marvels Royalty

Quilon's planning something...prepare yourselves. Detolf route huh? Couldn't find any curios. Nothing wrong with it, just curious.
Vecchio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2016, 08:45:35 AM   #6
riteguytu
Statue Marvels Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quilon View Post
I have been thinking of getting a couple detolf. I do not like displaying one statue per shelf. I see on a lot of the collection threads that there are two and sometimes three statue per detolf shelf. So my question for you detolf owners is would it be more or less likely to fit three statues per shelf? I am not really worried about weight, I can reinforce the glass shelf or us Plexiglas if needed.
Depending on the height (and weight) of the statues, you can have four (or even more) per shelf. I tripled up on the shelves I'm using here: http://www.statuemarvels.com/f458/ho...lay-29194.html
riteguytu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2016, 11:10:06 AM   #7
Quilon
Statue Marvels Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vecchio1 View Post
Quilon's planning something...prepare yourselves. Detolf route huh? Couldn't find any curios. Nothing wrong with it, just curious.
Nothing special planned. I bought a Stuva from Ikea, but not sure if I want to go that way with my collection. I have always liked the detolfs, but like keeping teams together. What I am think of doing is keeping the Stuva and using it for my small collection of 1/4 scale and get some detolfs for all my 1/6th.

Do not mind the curios. I just think I can get more statues in the detolf and have less of a footprint in my small office I display everything in.
Old January 13th, 2016, 12:03:42 PM   #8
TrueFaith

Quote:
I just think I can get more statues in the detolf and have less of a footprint in my small office I display everything in.
Detolfs are great for making the best use of limited space and are extremely versatile.
Since there's no backing you can put them in front of windows, or put a few side by side as a room divider.
Their small square "footprint" makes it easy to place them in spots that a wider curio cabinet wouldn't fit, like corners.
And the more you have the more of a "museum" feel you give the room they're in.
Old January 13th, 2016, 06:12:26 PM   #9
Vecchio1
Statue Marvels Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
Detolfs are great for making the best use of limited space and are extremely versatile.
Since there's no backing you can put them in front of windows, or put a few side by side as a room divider.
Their small square "footprint" makes it easy to place them in spots that a wider curio cabinet wouldn't fit, like corners.
And the more you have the more of a "museum" feel you give the room they're in.
There are corner curios also. detolf's are the more cost effective route for sure. Either way, looking forward to seeing the result.
Vecchio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2016, 09:53:47 PM   #10
khufutaron
Statue Marvels Royalty

I usually place 3-5 pieces per shelf in my Detolfs (a mix of FS & MB). I only follow two rules:

1. Heavy items on the bottom wood "shelf".
2. Other heavy items on the top glass shelf (Helps keep the aluminum supports from bowing - supposedly).

That being said, I've never had any probelms. Pics of my setup here.

Bowen Collection -- SSC & XM Collection -- Fine Art Collection Part 1 & Part 2
Star Wars X-Mas -- JEEP Trails -- Coming Soon
khufutaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2016, 05:20:12 PM   #11
Quilon
Statue Marvels Royalty

I got my first three detolfs. I really like the clean look. This is all my 1/6th scale except the Artfx Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman. Still need many Bowen's and Kotobukya's to round out the collection.

Old February 18th, 2016, 02:55:00 AM   #12
QOBrien67
Statue Marvels Trend Setter

Your Magneto...GIVES IT TO ME NAO!

All joking aside very nice clean looking display dude. Love the statue pairing choices, looks awesome. I got a triple of detolfs as well. Finishing up a spruce of this week, will post picture tomorrow or Friday.

Just an average every day guy, beating people up and buying nerd statues in his spare time.
QOBrien67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2016, 06:27:02 AM   #13
TrueFaith

I have 8 detolfs, have had them for over 8 years and have never had the slightest problem with them. I clear them out and Windex them once a year and they still look and operate like new.
Definitely one of the best products I've ever bought and I think I paid like $59 each for them 8 years ago.
Two questions:
1.) When did detolfs start coming in white? Used to be you could only get them in Oak and Coffee (black)?
2.) I can't tell because they're white, but do they still have the round plastic insert on the top panel so you can add lighting?
Old February 18th, 2016, 10:43:21 AM   #14
Quilon
Statue Marvels Royalty

1. I believe they started doing the white recently I think last year at some point, about the same time they changed the Besta colors.

2. Yes they still is a removable plastic plug on the top.
Old February 18th, 2016, 10:50:03 AM   #15
Quilon
Statue Marvels Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by QOBrien67 View Post
Your Magneto...GIVES IT TO ME NAO!

All joking aside very nice clean looking display dude. Love the statue pairing choices, looks awesome. I got a triple of detolfs as well. Finishing up a spruce of this week, will post picture tomorrow or Friday.
Thanks. Some of the pairings are off, but they will change as I get some of the Bowen's I still want. and go find you own Magneto this one is mine!!
Old February 18th, 2016, 10:58:28 AM   #16
TrueFaith

Quote:
1. I believe they started doing the white recently I think last year at some point, about the same time they changed the Besta colors.

2. Yes they still is a removable plastic plug on the top.
Thanks for the info.
Mine are all black, but your white ones look really slick.
Old February 18th, 2016, 11:37:53 AM   #17
Quilon
Statue Marvels Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
Thanks for the info.
Mine are all black, but your white ones look really slick.
Thank you. The white goes really well with the room. I am very glad I got them. Have a spot picked out for three more when I need more as the collection grows.

Last edited by Quilon; February 18th, 2016 at 11:41:33 AM..
Old March 18th, 2016, 12:08:50 AM   #18
Quilon
Statue Marvels Royalty

Got a riser for Archangel. Ordered it from MisterPlexi | Your One Stop Display Shop & More! Acrylic displays They have many shapes, heights and widths to chose from. I really liked the way it turned out. Quality is good, shipping was fast and they take PayPal. Only issue was it was a little pricey for buying just one, but it was worth it really like the way it displays.

Old March 18th, 2016, 06:39:24 AM   #19
TrueFaith

Very nice! Looks completely custom.
Old January 11th, 2017, 10:37:43 PM   #20
Quilon
Statue Marvels Royalty

It is time to add some lighting to my Detolfs. I have been doing some research on the interwebs and found a set up to my liking. My questions are has anyone tried anything like this? If so, seems pretty straight forward to me, how difficult? Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. I do want something that is corded and uses a remote. I do not need multiple colors just bright white. Links to the article I found and my Amazon shopping list. Thanks guys.

http://coreplex.blogspot.com/2015/06...ea-detolf.html

https://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/w...cm_wl_huc_view