Help Support SM:

XM Studios
Amazon Home Page
Sideshow on eBay
General-Marvel Collectibles
Site Support
Bowen Statues
Spider-Man

Go Back   STATUE M A R V E L S > THE WATER COOLER > GENERAL DISCUSSION THREADS at JOSIE'S BAR

Thread Starter Mister H Replies 22 Views 7961  Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscription
share |
share topic

Old April 4th, 2017, 12:16:45 PM   #1
Mister H
Statue Marvels Royalty

Default What is your "One Above All" statue?

I'm looking for what you fellas think is the THE statue. Use any criteria that you think is relevant. (one that you own, one that you are saving for, one that you love but will never get, perfect rendition of a character, etc.)

So far, the one statue that is above all others is:

It's not the classic version of Batman, but this is so well done that it doesn't matter to me. It's Bruce Wayne in the suit and it's a great suit, that's all that matters. I display mine with the face plate over the mouth/chin area. I think it makes him more menacing looking and gives him more of a "knight" type of feel. This is how I always drew Batman as a kid so there is some nostalgic value as well. He is huge and that's not a big deal for me either. In fact, it adds to the "awesomeness" of the piece because he is easily my biggest statue and deservedly so because Bats is my favorite character. Now to just hope that Prime 1 can do a Cap statue someday.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old April 4th, 2017, 01:02:48 PM   #2
sash501
Statue Marvels Royalty

You ASS, I've passed on that so many times and now you're making me want one!!!

Such a hard question!! Clearly this needs to be broken down into many criteria . . . I'll get back to you.

Sash's Bowen Collection Thread

If you see the collection thread in new posts, it's because new pics have been added.
sash501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2017, 01:11:32 PM   #3
QOBrien67
Statue Marvels Trend Setter

Pitt Bronze by Clayburn Moore.

I grew up reading comics (I found my trashed Ninja Turtles #1 buried the other day, lol) starting in the late 80's with my primary reading occurring through the 90s. Basically the glory days of comic innovation: Image Comics, Batman broken, Superman dead, Wolverine de-adamantium'd, etc. All of the aforementioned were profoundly imprinted in my memory. That said, during the Image days I LOVED Pitt by Dale Keown. I loved Keown's drawing in Hulk, so when he did basically mega visceral Hulk (Pitt), I couldn't get enough. That said, a bit into the Pitt run, CS Moore did a statue of him and god I wanted that thing. There was a regular sculpt, then a bronze sculpt. I knew I wouldn't be able to get either (would I rather a S Nes or a statue...S Nes all day), but god it was gorgeous. As such it's still my "One above all."

Regarding BD OAA's mine were Magneto, Sinister and Chrome Surfer all of which I now own.

Just an average every day guy, beating people up and buying nerd statues in his spare time.
QOBrien67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2017, 02:45:44 PM   #4
Mister H
Statue Marvels Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sash501 View Post
You ASS, I've passed on that so many times and now you're making me want one!!!

Such a hard question!! Clearly this needs to be broken down into many criteria . . . I'll get back to you.
LOL! Take your time. I'm sure you still have a "few" statues in your collection to look through. Kinda surprised you don't have this one though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QOBrien67 View Post
Pitt Bronze by Clayburn Moore.

I grew up reading comics (I found my trashed Ninja Turtles #1 buried the other day, lol) starting in the late 80's with my primary reading occurring through the 90s. Basically the glory days of comic innovation: Image Comics, Batman broken, Superman dead, Wolverine de-adamantium'd, etc. All of the aforementioned were profoundly imprinted in my memory. That said, during the Image days I LOVED Pitt by Dale Keown. I loved Keown's drawing in Hulk, so when he did basically mega visceral Hulk (Pitt), I couldn't get enough. That said, a bit into the Pitt run, CS Moore did a statue of him and god I wanted that thing. There was a regular sculpt, then a bronze sculpt. I knew I wouldn't be able to get either (would I rather a S Nes or a statue...S Nes all day), but god it was gorgeous. As such it's still my "One above all."

Regarding BD OAA's mine were Magneto, Sinister and Chrome Surfer all of which I now own.

There is literally no one else who could have drawn Pitt better than Dale Keown. I remember that statue, perfect rendition of the character. I need to start saving up for XBox's Project Scorpio. I hear it's going to cost around $1000.
Old April 4th, 2017, 03:17:15 PM   #5
TrueFaith

Easy choice. I've absolutely loved this statue since the day I first set eyes upon it. Tim Bruckner is to DC what Randy Bowen is to Marvel.

TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2017, 03:25:56 PM   #6
97thAcolyte

That Pitt statue is cool. :O Never heard of him though.

For me it's gotta be Bowen Crouching Venom out of the ones I own. Closely followed by Magneto Action. Just love that Venom though.

If I were to say one I don't own (and probably never will) it would be XM Carnage. It's such a great rendition of that character, but so big and pricey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
I need to start saving up for XBox's Project Scorpio. I hear it's going to cost around $1000.
Daaaaamn. That much? So it'll be about 1200 then. Might as well get Carnage! I'll probably just get a One S in that case. Either way I've got to upgrade. My original (Day One) Xbone has started to think the eject and power buttons do the same thing...
97thAcolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2017, 03:40:39 PM   #7
QOBrien67

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97thAcolyte View Post
That Pitt statue is cool. :O Never heard of him though.

For me it's gotta be Bowen Crouching Venom out of the ones I own. Closely followed by Magneto Action. Just love that Venom though.
Yea Pitt was pretty niche. The comic launched with things like Spawn, Savage Dragon, Youngblood, Maxx when Image rolled out. Keown was never consistent with the release of it though. He cranked like 1-12 out then there were only be a few a year for years before it eventually died out.

Agree on the Venom. Honestly, and no offense to any other sculpts, that was the closest Venom for me to the old school McFarlane original incarnation of him. Smooth costume, giant musculature, big spikey tooth mouth. Spot on.
Old April 5th, 2017, 12:05:06 AM   #8
mmk123
Statue Marvels Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
Easy choice. I've absolutely loved this statue since the day I first set eyes upon it. Tim Bruckner is to DC what Randy Bowen is to Marvel.

I remember when those statues came out a few years ago and I thought they were interesting but I did not buy any. I think that they did only 8 characters of that line (Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Aquaman, Supergirl, Sinestro and the Joker). I forget how much they were when they came out but I checked them on Ebay and the cheapest one is near $300 with them going as high as near $500. It seems that all of them had a run of 2500.

Hoping for a Phase 6 with FS Statues of the following

• Moondragon
  • Mantis
  • Wonder Man (in the Perez Designed costume)
  • Havok (need a new one in his classic costume because the existing one is too expensive on Ebay)
  • The Red Guardian (The Defenders member-this one is a longshot)
  • and a REALLY GOOD Phoenix Museum pose
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2017, 07:23:20 AM   #9
TrueFaith

Yeah, I really thought this line was very innovative and unlike anything else being offered. There's a real "elegance" (for lack of a better word) to them that few other statues have. And the "artistic" focus of the sculpts themselves is as important as the character depicted.
Batman and Aquaman are going for serious money these days.
I would have loved to see what Bruckner could have done with his proposed "Flash" statue as well, unfortunately poor sales doomed it in the womb.

Old April 5th, 2017, 10:18:10 AM   #10
Mister H
Statue Marvels Royalty

Yeah, I really wish he could have made that Flash statue. It would have been the best of the lot or close to it. I have the GL and the Batman version of these. They are very unique and pricey now in the secondary market. I dropped GL about 3 years ago and broke off the green flame coming off his right hand. (lucky that was all that broke) I'm so scared of something happening to Bats that I don't display him. To quote Cameron from Ferris Beuller's Day Off ....."someone could breath on it!"

Last edited by Mister H; April 5th, 2017 at 10:20:57 AM..
Old April 6th, 2017, 01:13:03 AM   #11
ONEYE
Statue Marvels Royalty

For Marvel it's Galactus.

ONEYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2017, 03:11:10 AM   #12
Tarasadies
Statue Marvels Royalty

For me, and of course this a tough decision, it is Beta Ray Bill (ignore the Thor, lol). The statue is positively regal, the detail amazing, the paints perfect... I cannot say enough good about this statue....

One More Statue and I am Done

1) Moon Knight - White
Tarasadies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2017, 06:09:04 PM   #13
Mister H
Statue Marvels Royalty

BRB is one of Bowen Design's greatest. Even people who aren't Thor fans, love this statue.
Old April 7th, 2017, 12:48:44 PM   #14
Vecchio1
Statue Marvels Royalty

I got about 5.
Vecchio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2017, 02:02:44 PM   #15
QOBrien67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarasadies View Post
For me, and of course this a tough decision, it is Beta Ray Bill (ignore the Thor, lol). The statue is positively regal, the detail amazing, the paints perfect... I cannot say enough good about this statue....
This is a great call. BRB statue literally looks like it walked off a comic book page.
Old April 7th, 2017, 02:35:53 PM   #16
Quilon
Statue Marvels Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vecchio1 View Post
I got about 5.
and they are?
Quilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2017, 02:06:44 PM   #17
sash501
Statue Marvels Royalty

Been mulling it over, and I really really love my SS Conan Fury of the Beast Exclusive. It should have came faster as it is one of very few that didn't even get onto the sale thread.
sash501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2017, 02:42:32 PM   #18
mmk123
Statue Marvels Royalty

for me, I would have to say of the ones I own it is The Valkyrie. Randy sculpted this himself and I do not think that there could have been a better representation of the character than what was produced. It always surprised me that this character ended up with a Bronzed version but Dr Strange and Nick Fury did not. I thought it would have been the other way around.

Old April 10th, 2017, 08:57:09 PM   #19
TrueFaith

The Faux Bronze version had an edition size of only 150, which I believe makes it the lowest edition size of any Bowen FS statue. Randy even hinted that it would be an extraordinarily low edition size before it was released.
He probably lost money on the manufacture of it, which is no doubt what helped doom the FB Doctor Strange and Nick Fury (and Falcon).
Hard to believe those characters couldn't get more pre-orders than Valkyre, but a lot of folks were assuming they could by BD statues for even less on eBay after release back then (and did). What they didn't realize was that by not pre-ordering from Bowen, it just translated to Randy that the demand for those statues just wasn't there.
Old April 10th, 2017, 09:35:15 PM   #20
mmk123
Statue Marvels Royalty

and I believe that the Faux Bronze Valkyrie was the only female character that made it to a Faux Bronze statue