Help Support SM:

Sideshow on eBay
Site Support
XM Studios
Bowen Statues
Amazon Home Page
Spider-Man
General-Marvel Collectibles

Go Back   STATUE M A R V E L S > THE WATER COOLER > GENERAL DISCUSSION THREADS at JOSIE'S BAR

Thread Starter MrJones Replies 43 Views 8749  Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscription
share |
share topic

Old September 12th, 2016, 06:04:37 PM   #1
MrJones
Statue Marvels Royalty

Default If you stopped collecting statues...

Hi all, I keep fighting with myself about this topic and want your input. I've been collecting I guess three years now and as you all see they are starting to get even more expensive. I love the hobby though. I haven't made up my mind if I'm going to stop altogether, limit myself to one a year, or every other year or something. Just not sure what to do...

BUT, my question is if you stopped collecting statues, if you had to for whatever reason, what would you replace it with? What would you do to fill the void? I've considered collecting Omnibus books instead. I already have somewhat started but haven't gone a full 180 or anything. But just wondering what YOU would do?

Add my NEW Instagram for all my statue pics and more - MADTITANJONES

Checkout my ongoing collection thread here and drop me a line! - http://www.statuemarvels.com/f296/mr...ave-28245.html

Wishlist -
Bowens: Beta Ray Bill, Moden Nova FS, Mephisto FB, Eternity MB
Sideshow: Silver Surfer Comiquette.
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old September 12th, 2016, 06:21:26 PM   #2
TrueFaith

I've already done comics, beer cans, non-sport trading cards, resin kits, signed 1st edition hardcover antiquarian Science Fiction books, paperbacks, Science Fiction pulps from the 1930s, 40s and 50s, statues & busts and Eaglemoss lead figures.
Even though I already have hundreds of Eaglemoss figures there's still hundreds I don't have and I sort of set a self-imposed limit when I'd reached what I considered a ridiculous amount.
Out of everything I've collected, I think I enjoy the Eaglemoss figures the most. There's such a diversity of themes and characters. Probably 10 times what any full-size statue manufacturer has ever produced. And they're so small and intricately detailed - you can fit an absurd amount of them in the space just a few full-size statues would occupy. And they're relatively cheap.
I think if I ever dropped everything else, I'd concentrate exclusively on Eaglemoss and filling in all the blanks in my current collection.

(this is only one of about 20 such set-ups I currently have.)
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2016, 07:09:58 PM   #3
Mister H
Statue Marvels Royalty

I would go after old, railroad lanterns. I have a couple from the 30's (Union Carbide) and have been eyeballing a few on eBay. WWII items are also very tempting since I have some items my grandfather brought back from Europe. Nazi bayonets, French, German and Russian money not to mention his old M1 carbine.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2016, 09:52:25 PM   #4
Fastball Special
Statue Marvels Royalty

Well I haven't had statues in some time since I'm focusing on my love of replicas. So while I still keep up with new releases all my time has been spent searching for prop replicas and other items like that
Fastball Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2016, 10:50:14 AM   #5
Blindzider
Statue Marvels Royalty

I think I'm just a little bit ahead of where you are MrJones. I'm basically done collecting statues. Whether Randy comes back or not, there are just a couple more characters I want to complete my display then I'll be satisfied. If he doesn't come back soon with stuff the looks nearly the same then I will probably go the custom route to fill those holes.

I've already been collecting Omnibus and other oversized hard covers which I am enjoying, however, there is very little new stuff from the big two that I want to own and only a few independents so I can already see the end of this in a year or two.

I'm thinking about moving to a few more of the canvas art prints from Alex Ross after this. They are significantly more expensive so I'm not sure it will happen.

After 30+ years it's weird to think that comics may not be my main, active hobby, but unless something really interesting happens in the industry I'm probably just about finished, at least with buying stuff.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Buy a copy of my photo book! Details HERE.

Statue Marvels Threads:
Statue Photography | Collection Room

Blindzider Photography: Superheroes | Statues | Art
Buy @ Pixels | Follow @ Flickr | Like @ Facebook
-------------------------------------------------------------
Blindzider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2016, 11:21:53 AM   #6
sash501
Statue Marvels Royalty

As many of you know, I recently sold off much of my collection. To my great surprise . . . I still have a TON of statues! I'm still really enjoying what I have left, and I will still buy a couple a year if I really want them (Hulk v. Wolverine is ordered and I really like the new TMNT line).

As for the void . . . I have no desire to bring more "stuff" into my living spaces. Instead, I've been focusing on absorbing digital content. Reading tons of back issues on my ipad and kindles and after I converted my DVD/Bluray collection (well more than a 1000 discs) I've been adding to the digital film/TV collection by buying monthly sale items and buying digital codes from people on craigslist. Really enjoy watching old movies I have never seen or haven't seen in more than 15 years.

Sash's Bowen Collection Thread

If you see the collection thread in new posts, it's because new pics have been added.
sash501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2016, 11:54:31 AM   #7
TouchE22
Mod Solo

The most likely collection that I'd concentrate on if statues were out of the picture would be original comic art. I have some nice pieces but there are some things I'd really look for that would fill the statue void.
TouchE22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2016, 12:18:47 PM   #8
sash501
Statue Marvels Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchE22 View Post
The most likely collection that I'd concentrate on if statues were out of the picture would be original comic art. I have some nice pieces but there are some things I'd really look for that would fill the statue void.
Oh man. I've been dying to get a Bill Sienkiewicz!
sash501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2016, 12:26:34 PM   #9
TouchE22
Mod Solo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sash501 View Post
Oh man. I've been dying to get a Bill Sienkiewicz!
I'd love to get one of his New Mutants covers or an original commission. Right now my favorite pieces I have are a George Perez Deathstroke, Greg Horn Avengers #186 cover "recreation", and a Black Canary & Rogue color commission from the late Dave Hoover. Altough a Spider-Man page from the late Mike Wieringo is special to me as well.
TouchE22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2016, 02:58:35 PM   #10
Smashdaddy
Marvel MOD

Since I was a wee lad, I've been collecting so many different things, but Super Hero Comic collectibles have always been one of the common denominators of my hobby.

That being said, if I were to completely take Super-Hero collectibles out of the equation, I think I would gravitate to one of these:
  • Vintage Simpsons Memorabilia
  • Vintage Disney Memorabilia Pre-1975
  • First Edition Books, (1st series would be Hemmingway)
  • Documents with a signature from one of our US Presidents, (admired an old GF's father's collection - AMAZING! All framed really nice - he was close to completing it at the time).

Check out my Marvemania collection!: http://www.statuemarvels.com/f524/sm...ion-25876.html
Smashdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2016, 09:38:37 PM   #11
pg3wg3
Statue Marvels Trend Setter

Well we are in a similar housing situation at the moment and probably considering slowing down or stopping for the same reason. I, like you, just bought a house recently and need money to furnish a little bit more of the regular house and then a very large sum of money to finish my basement. So I could see focusing more of my money and time on making sure the house gets situated upstairs and the basement becomes the place I want it to be ( Man cave, theater room, bar).

I almost need to slow down collecting for a while in order to save up the large amount of money it will cost me to finish the basement. I actually agreed with the wife yesterday to stop making any new purchases for the rest of the year. I will have to see how that goes. I cancelled all my omnibus pre-orders and the x-men print from sideshow.
pg3wg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2016, 11:38:19 PM   #12
Puck It
Statue Marvels Royalty

I don't know if I'd collect anything comic related...never really thought about it, but this is kind of the end all for comic collectibles for me. That said, if I was going to collect anything comic related, I can see myself getting into graded books and maybe omnibuses.

Before I got into these statues I was pretty heavily into sneakers...Jordans, skate, runners and all that. Still have a few pairs. I'd probably get back into that to some degree, but I find that the older I get, the less interested I am in footwear. ...I'm sure something would spark my interest.

Last edited by Puck It; September 14th, 2016 at 12:08:53 AM..
Puck It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2016, 04:47:50 PM   #13
MrJones
Statue Marvels Royalty

Wow all of your interests are actually pretty awesome! It's also kind of sad it seems a lot of people are kind of done with the comic and comic related collectibles. Though I get it. I think what I would/will miss is getting a new statue to display. I like that you can display these collectibles. I like to be able to display my collection, which is why I think I like Omnibus books so much, they display well. Like a library of comics. I also realized I guess I collect movies too... me and the wife have well over 600. I guess it is however good to know as collectors damn if it isn't built into us lol... we always seem to find something else right?
Old September 14th, 2016, 05:10:02 PM   #14
Puck It
Statue Marvels Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones View Post
Wow all of your interests are actually pretty awesome! It's also kind of sad it seems a lot of people are kind of done with the comic and comic related collectibles. Though I get it. I think what I would/will miss is getting a new statue to display. I like that you can display these collectibles. I like to be able to display my collection, which is why I think I like Omnibus books so much, they display well. Like a library of comics. I also realized I guess I collect movies too... me and the wife have well over 600. I guess it is however good to know as collectors damn if it isn't built into us lol... we always seem to find something else right?
Exactly...I'm sure if I didn't get back into sneakers or comics I'd find something else to eat up my money. The curse of the collector.
Puck It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2016, 02:11:38 AM   #15
mmk123
Statue Marvels Royalty

well, like Blindzider, I am not really buying a whole lot of statues anymore. Over the past year I have been replacing some statues with different versions that I like better and selling the version I did not like as much. I do have some characters that I would like to see done that would fill up the roster of my Avengers and Defenders collections but if they are not done I will survive. However, if would produce a Golden Age Justice Society line of statues then I would be first in line to buy.

I still do buy comics though and I am really enjoying the DC Rebirth titles that I am reading a lot. I have been getting some collected editions in Hardback, especially some Marvel Masterworks and some Omnibuses.

Something else that I do have a collection of are seltzer bottles. I have about 14 glass ones and I have about a dozen Globemasters. There are a few more color of the Globemasters that I am trying to find.
http://www.sparklets.net/sparkletsranges/globemaster/

Hoping for a Phase 6 with FS Statues of the following

• Moondragon
  • Mantis
  • Wonder Man (in the Perez Designed costume)
  • Havok (need a new one in his classic costume because the existing one is too expensive on Ebay)
  • The Red Guardian (The Defenders member-this one is a longshot)
  • and a REALLY GOOD Phoenix Museum pose

Last edited by mmk123; September 15th, 2016 at 02:27:05 AM..
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2016, 02:02:25 PM   #16
97thAcolyte
Statue Marvels Trend Setter

I got into the Statue game pretty late, so I've still got lots of pieces to find and buy, but there will definitely be a stopping point once I have all the characters and teams I want, I can see myself stopping. Same with Comics, there's a finite amount of things I want.

Art is something that'll probably be the same. But If I see something cool, I'll try and find some space for it.

Other that that, I'd probably get back into Star Wars stuff. (Or more into GoT). I've already got a decent amount of lightsabers and there is MUCH more custom stuff in that area, plus I've still got some gaps in my OT film collection of hilts.
97thAcolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2016, 02:09:23 PM   #17
Mister H
Statue Marvels Royalty

Swords would be cool to have as well, but I would want functionality to go with the decor (even though no one ever uses a sword in real life) element and that would get too pricey for me.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2016, 08:09:38 AM   #18
Blindzider
Statue Marvels Royalty

For those of you into collecting Omnibus/OHCs, REL has created a group over on GoodReads. He keeps a list of what is coming out and like here, we talk about everything from the content (stories, art) to the type of binding, what we want to be collected, etc.

As a taste, here's a picture of my Omnibus collection that is already out of date:
Blindzider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2016, 06:40:16 PM   #19
MrJones
Statue Marvels Royalty

Well that is gorgeous. I've never really ventured through good reads before.
Old September 16th, 2016, 06:43:31 PM   #20
Smashdaddy
Marvel MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindzider View Post
For those of you into collecting Omnibus/OHCs, REL has created a group over on GoodReads. He keeps a list of what is coming out and like here, we talk about everything from the content (stories, art) to the type of binding, what we want to be collected, etc.

As a taste, here's a picture of my Omnibus collection that is already out of date:
That sight is ASTOUNDING - wow!!!!
Smashdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote