General-Marvel Collectibles
XM Studios
Bowen Statues
Spider-Man
Amazon Home Page
Site Support
Sideshow on eBay

Go Back   STATUE M A R V E L S > OTHER STATUE FORUM > OTHER COLLECTIBLES

Thread Starter TrueFaith Replies 10 Views 3294  Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscription
share |
share topic

Old December 3rd, 2016, 12:37:19 PM   #1
TrueFaith

Default Green Lantern 1/4 Scale Statue by Prime 1 Studios

Wow, I don't think I've seen a Green Lantern 1/4 scale statue by any manufacturer that excites me as much as this upcoming work by Prime 1 Studio.
None of Sideshow's offerings (or the DC Direct 1/4 scale GL that I own) have come close to delivering the gut-punch I felt on seeing these preliminary shots for the first time this week on http://www.thebrightestday.net/
Such a beautiful representation of Hal Jordan. Although it's the "New 52" costume instead of the original design by Gil Kane that I would have preferred, it's still the most impressive sculpt of GL that I've seen previewed all year.

Looks like they "reworked" the smirk seen here. Excellent decision.

TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old December 3rd, 2016, 04:10:38 PM   #2
97thAcolyte
Statue Marvels Trend Setter

Wow, that does look really cool, to be fair. I assume you'll be trying to fit this into your setup?

I actually prefer the smirk. I know it might not necessarily fit with the character, but even so. The other face just looks a bit too stern for me.
97thAcolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2016, 04:30:42 PM   #3
Mister H
Statue Marvels Royalty

That looks pretty epic. The price tag will be epic as well, Supes is about in the $800-ish range I think. I'll probably get it even though I'm getting the SS PF coming in January. Looks like Prime 1 will be doing a DC rebirth line as well with "multiple scales" which hopefully includes 1/6 scale. Would love to see my favorite villains : Black Adam and Sinestro.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2016, 05:32:14 PM   #4
TrueFaith

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97thAcolyte View Post
Wow, that does look really cool, to be fair. I assume you'll be trying to fit this into your setup?

I actually prefer the smirk. I know it might not necessarily fit with the character, but even so. The other face just looks a bit too stern for me.
It is kinda cool, but I immediately relate a "smirk" of any kind on a Green Lantern to Guy Gardner. And I really can't stand Guy Gardner.
I like my Hal Jordan Green Lanterns fairly stern. Even if he is sort of laid back in his Hal Jordan alter-ego, as a Green Lantern I want him to take the job seriously.
And considering what he's been through, with maybe dying again and all, he really doesn't have much to smirk about.
Old December 3rd, 2016, 10:05:26 PM   #5
Phinias T. Horton
Statue Marvels Royalty

as nice as it looks, it still wont be worth the price they are going to charge for it.
Phinias T. Horton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2016, 10:13:32 PM   #6
Tarasadies
Statue Marvels Royalty

That is sweet...

One More Statue and I am Done

1) Moon Knight - White
Tarasadies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2016, 10:08:44 AM   #7
Blindzider
Statue Marvels Royalty

I agree, that is a pretty nice interpretation of GL. Not quite thrilled about the green energy swirling around his arm but that's a minor, personal nitpick.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Buy a copy of my photo book! Details HERE.

Statue Marvels Threads:
Statue Photography | Collection Room

Blindzider Photography: Superheroes | Statues | Art
Buy @ Pixels | Follow @ Flickr | Like @ Facebook
-------------------------------------------------------------
Blindzider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2016, 12:53:55 AM   #8
filip629
Statue Marvels Royalty

I'm not really a fan of this piece at all. First off, don't like the New 52 or most of the costumes related to the New 52. Secondly, don't like the pose at all. Feels like Hal is kicking back in his recliner. Not much of an action pose for me personally. Lastly, I don't care for the energy swirl coming from his ring. I don't even know what that's supposed to be. These issues make the piece an overall miss in my book.

Last edited by filip629; December 18th, 2016 at 11:51:31 PM..
filip629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2016, 10:28:21 AM   #9
TrueFaith

Not a fan of Hal's "New 52" costume either, but we take what we're given. Doesn't seem like they're going to return to the much sleeker-looking Gil Kane design anytime soon. Still, it's one of the best examples of the "New 52" costume I've seen.
I kinda like the pose, it's as if he's stopping short in space to blast a threat that's appeared in front of him and he's ramping up the ring's power for a kill shot. And I love the sense of movement the suspended stones give the construct.
I kinda wish that every other sculpt of Hal didn't feel obligated to include the lantern though.
Old December 18th, 2016, 03:31:09 PM   #10
Mister H
Statue Marvels Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
Not a fan of Hal's "New 52" costume either, but we take what we're given. Doesn't seem like they're going to return to the much sleeker-looking Gil Kane design anytime soon. Still, it's one of the best examples of the "New 52" costume I've seen.
I kinda like the pose, it's as if he's stopping short in space to blast a threat that's appeared in front of him and he's ramping up the ring's power for a kill shot. And I love the sense of movement the suspended stones give the construct.
I kinda wish that every other sculpt of Hal didn't feel obligated to include the lantern though.
Agreed. Of all the New 52 costume changes, this one was the least idiotic, simply because not much changed in the costume. Although Jim Lee does really needs to move past the nineties shoulder pad obsession. I've seen some other Japanese "lean back" poses, like the Cable statue where he's firing a large gun in pretty much the exact pose, and I have to say that is one of my least favorite poses. It doesn't work for Cable because he is a ground based character and will end up on his ass when doing that pose. GL on the other hand is clearly flying and that pose simply looks like an aerial maneuver. I too am starting to get a little worn out on the "lantern in the other hand" thing with GL statues. It looks "ok" in this instance but just "ok". The thing that bothers me the most about GL statue is the sculpted green light. Most of it just looks like green kool-aid to me. The DC Dynamics GL, sculpted by Tim Bruckner, at least tried to do something a little different with a green flame approach. (which is more of an Alan Scott thing really) but even that looks a little like Hal is bursting out of a green ocean on a distant planet somewhere. To me anyway, still a fantastic statue. When True said you have to take what you can get with GL sculpts, he was right on the money. There are a lot out there but not many worth buying IMO. This one coming up looks well within the "good enough to buy" area, but the cost will turn a lot of folks away. I will try to save up for it but if it ends up with me not being able to buy it, I will be happy with my SS Hal premium format......and wait for the Justice League version in a year or so.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2016, 05:57:12 PM   #11
TrueFaith

We seem to have very similar opinions when it comes to Green Lantern, Mister H.
I refuse to spend any significant amount of dough on a Green Lantern statue unless it completely lives up to my (admittedly high) standards. I haven't been all that happy with the facial sculpts on the Sideshow pieces, so I've held off on those, but this Prime 1 GL has so many good things going for it (and I really LOVE the face sculpt this time.)
I'm willing to overlook the "New 52" costume because it's pretty well done on this statue. I particularly like the "folds" in the costume and the way they've sculpted it overall. A good job on something I don't particularly like when compared to the original version, which I just don't think can be "improved on" in any meaningful way. And as said I'm not crazy about the omnipresent lantern, but I don't think it detracts from the sculpt.
When it comes to less-expensive items, I'm much less finicky. I just picked up the "Jim Lee designed" Hal Jordan bust sculpted by Alejandro Pereira for DC Collectables and I would have definitely passed if I hadn't paid only $48 bucks for it. The pose is really odd with his outstretched arms and the damn gloves are more metallic silver than white, but the face sculpt is nice and dynamic. I feel the same way about the DC Icons statue, which I only picked up because it was the same (half off) price. Hal looks to be all of 18 years old, but hey it was wicked cheap.
My favorite GL-related pick up as of late is the Bleeze DC Cover Girls statue done by Karen Palinko. Other than the smallish size, she did a really masterful job sculpting it and I love it to pieces.
And when it comes to really cheap I'll add just about anything to my GL collection. This week I got the 2012 Hallmark "Keepsake" ornament of the Ryan Reynolds movie GL. It runs on 3 tiny watch batteries (included), lights up a little green LED on the base under the figure charging his ring and recites the Green Lantern oath in Ryan's voice from the movie. Hell of a lot of fun for only $15 off eBay.