Spider-Man
General-Marvel Collectibles
Sideshow Collectibles Thanos on Throne Maquette
Site Support
Sideshow on eBay
XM Studios
Amazon Home Page

Go Back   STATUE M A R V E L S > OTHER STATUE FORUM > OTHER COLLECTIBLES

Thread Starter wrlord Replies 8 Views 2625  Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscription
share |
share topic

Old November 21st, 2016, 06:38:35 PM   #1
wrlord
Statue Marvels Royalty

Default Unusual Green Lantern

I couldn't resist picking this up.

Dictated on my iPad. My iPad can't spell for sh!t.
wrlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old November 21st, 2016, 07:27:41 PM   #2
Mister H
Statue Marvels Royalty

Yeah, didn't he get run over by a pick up truck or something?
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2016, 07:29:27 PM   #3
Mister H
Statue Marvels Royalty

....he would totally kick Rocket Racoon's butt IMO.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2016, 07:39:40 PM   #4
wrlord
Statue Marvels Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
Yeah, didn't he get run over by a pick up truck or something?
A yellow one, I think
Old November 21st, 2016, 07:39:41 PM   #5
TrueFaith

That's the Ch'p figure that was featured on the base of the DC Direct Green Lantern 1/4 scale statue sculpted by Ray Villafane.
Looks like someone made a custom base for it.
When the statue was released (around 2010 or so) I recall a few people saying they didn't really like the addition of the Ch'p figure and they were going to remove it from their base.
I kept mine because I think he's really cute and he adds a little something to the statue that it wouldn't have otherwise.
It's pretty rare to see him offered for sale all by his lonesome, so congrats on an unusual and fun acquisition!

TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2016, 04:01:14 PM   #6
wrlord
Statue Marvels Royalty

Wow; good to know -- thanks! I think he's adorable - but man, I'd love to get my hands on the Hal Jordan!
Old November 22nd, 2016, 07:22:05 PM   #7
TrueFaith

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrlord View Post
Wow; good to know -- thanks! I think he's adorable - but man, I'd love to get my hands on the Hal Jordan!
Yeah, it's a nice sculpt by Villafane and the only 1/4 scale statue I own.
Unfortunately, it's a "premium format" type of statue with a real cloth costume.
Although I always take great pains to keep it out of sunlight of any kind, I can still notice a tiny bit of fading to the green cloth after 6 years.
I felt I almost HAD to get it, being obsessed with Green Lantern since I was a kid and it makes a nice focal point to my mess of other GL statues and busts, but I won't be jumping to add any more statues that involve cloth to my collection.
At some point in the future I may have to simply paint the costume on, but I'm still a ways from having to do that. It still looks perfectly acceptable and I'm sure I'm probably the only one who even notices any fading.
Old November 23rd, 2016, 05:59:51 PM   #8
wrlord
Statue Marvels Royalty

^ getting me more and more paranoid. I have a Sideshow PF Superman in a brightly lit room - it even gets a little direct sunlight when someone moves the curtain! No other spot for it, though....
Old November 23rd, 2016, 08:13:41 PM   #9
TrueFaith

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrlord View Post
^ getting me more and more paranoid. I have a Sideshow PF Superman in a brightly lit room - it even gets a little direct sunlight when someone moves the curtain! No other spot for it, though....
Well, I don't want to confirm your paranoia, but that will have a cumulative effect over time. If you get into the science behind light waves and the effect they have on bright-colored paints and fabrics, it's quite easy to become paranoid.
I used to think that only direct sunlight was a concern, but indirect or reflected light can also cause fading over a long period. In fact even the choice of the lightbulbs you use in your collection room can have a deleterious effect.
I've read several studies that suggest that ANY form of light energy, no matter how weak or indirect, will always have some form of negative effect on any brightly-colored object. It basically posits that if you can see an object at all in a darkened room, it is being effected on some level.
Of course the operative word is "cumulative". The problem with "cumulative" damage is that you won't notice it until the damage has been done and that may take months, years or even decades to become noticeable. And by that point the damage is, of course, irreversible.
If you've ever seen severely faded cardboard displays in drug store windows that have been sitting there for months or years, it gives you an idea of how bad the cumulative effect of light can be. You sure don't want something like that happening to your statues.
My solution is to use room-darkening blinds in my collection room that I always keep closed during daylight hours. I only use LED lightbulbs in the room that emit no ultra-violet light. Incandescent or florescent bulbs produce the most UV and should be avoided at all costs.

http://www.residentiallighting.com/w...rk-and-fabrics

I admit I may go a little overboard when it comes to protecting my statues from light damage, but when I add up the cost of all those statues I'm trying to protect, it makes a bit more sense.
In the case of my Green Lantern statue's fabric costume, I suspect the "fading" I'm noticing is more the result of the poor quality of green dye used that is reacting to the atmosphere and environment, rather than it being caused by light damage. DC Direct is not known for manufacturing "premium format" statues. I would think that a company like Sideshow, that is known for them, would put a little more thought into how well the dyes used in their cloth costumes stand the test of time.