Help Support SM:

Spider-Man
Sideshow on eBay
Bowen Statues
General-Marvel Collectibles
Site Support
Amazon Home Page
XM Studios

Go Back   STATUE M A R V E L S > STATUE MARVELS SITE & MEMBER INFO > INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Thread Starter QOBrien67 Replies 8 Views 2081  Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscription
share |
share topic

Old March 11th, 2016, 06:39:57 PM   #1
QOBrien67
Statue Marvels Trend Setter

Default QOBrien67: Official Introduction

Now that I've been here for closing in on a year, I felt it was worth actually doing a bit longer form introduction vs the muted one I had originally. Especially in light of the fact that I'll be meeting quite a few of you come August. So, let's try this again, but with a bit more detail...

Married: Engaged
Comic Related Stuff:
Have been reading comics on and off for as long as I can remember. Originally when I was a kid it was whatever I could get my hands on vs any specific character. Starriors, Iron Man, Hulk, TMNT (found my Adventures #1 recently, crap shape, but made me reminisce). I read Wizard religiously for years and years and years. When Image / Valiant hit the scene I bought piles of those, Spawn, Youngblood, Cyberforce and my favorite Pitt and not to mention all the damned comic book cards that were hitting the market. Aside from staying up to speed, my collecting died off for a while and actually was re-energized last year with the purchase of my first statue: Kelley Jones Bane Black and White. From there I bought my first Bowen which was a FB Deadpool and I haven't looked back since.

Statue Related Stuff:
As noted above, my first statue was Kelley Jones BW Bane, but I've bought only Bowen since. Originally, I was just buying without plan, but now I've honed it in and limited the list. Once I get that list, I'll then expand, repeating the process until I hit critical mass, or until the fiance shoots me in my sleep and posts them all for sale. So if you ever see a bunch of statues on Ebay with octopus draw on them...call the cops...

With regards to plan, the goal is going to pair the statues with their best known counterpart or villain, then where practical combine that with an artist print + first appearance (or other noteworthy/related comic). Since I'm still pretty early in the collecting process (almost 1 year), I don't have most of it fleshed out, but you can see the pairings I'm shooting for below. Bold is have, not bold is to come:

Hulk / Hulkbuster
Colossus / Juggernaut Action
Deadpool FB / Wolverine (likely FB)
Daredevil FB / Kingpin (will likely move Daredevil to non FB)
Venom FB / Spider-man Museum (FB)
Thanos FB / Silver Surfer Chrome
Thor FB / Loki FB
Thing FB / Doctor Doom FB
Apocalypse / Mr.Sinister
Magneto / Prof X
DK Ghost Rider / Mephisto

Hobbies:
Little bit of this, little bit of that...

My biggest and most unique hobby is that beyond my "real" job, I'm a professional Muay Thai / K1 fighter. I originally started back in 2007 after getting hooked on UFC / K1 fights as a way to lose weight (I used to be ~245-250) and it turns out I had a knack for it. After a successful amateur career (24-7, 4x national tournament championships and the K1/Muay Thai divisions at worlds in 2013) I went pro in 2014 going 2 and 0. My last fight I got the opportunity to fight on Spike TV for Glory International in Las Vegas unfortunately losing a close decision (video below). My "thing" is I wear a top hat out to the ring and walk out to Sympathy for the Devil by the Rolling Stones. Likelihood is that I'll make another few fight run as a pro, then call it a day in the next year or so. Getting sick of the grind and body is getting old and sore.

I also coach Muay Thai as well, and travel as much as possible to train / coach / do whatever in my free time. I've worked with guys who have fought in the UFC, Bellator, Strikeforce, RFA, CFA, and many other local promotions.

Beyond that, the fiance and I love music. She can sing / play piano (her baby grand is in the front room) and I can play a few songs on bass by tabs. We try to hit several concerts a year primarily in the rock / alternative vein. Artists of note I've seen: Rolling Stones, Tool, Ozzy, QotSA, Chevelle, Breaking Benjamin, Cake, Disturbed, and many more. Also, for about a 2 year period we even had a fighters band that practiced in my living room (I live on a private street and have property). Fiance was the lead singer (she fought muay thai as an ammy), UFC guy on drums, current RFA champion on lead guitar, local pro on rhythm and an MMA writer on Bass. They played some local venues and a few local MMA shows.

I'm also an art fan. I've drawn (comic style) as long as I can remember, though the frequency has gone on and off for years. By somewhat logical extension, since signing up for the Bowen class though, I've taken up sculpting. I'm not good (it's hard as f***), but I enjoy it. I bounce between trying to make some symbols to decorate the space on my cabinet (pic 1 below) and starting to work on a bust to get the idea right (2nd sculpting pic below). Somewhat artsy, but not in a different vein, my best friend and I have started doing cosplay for comic cons as well. Last year we did some pinch Cyclops / Collosus outfits and we're either doing Iron Fist / Powerman or Magneto / Juggernaut this year. Our end goal is to get really good costumes at some point and hit the big events.

Conclusion:
Well, that about covers it for this book of an intro, but now when I meet you all up in NJ or you see my posts on here, you'll now a bit more!

Current Collection (Minus a few comics / Dr.Doom):

Cabinet Symbols:

Bust Beginning (I'm not exactly Riteguy over here):

Last Fight Video: I didn't win, but hey, I fought in Vegas with 300-400k people watching live while working a desk job. I'll call it a win.
P.S. The announcers didn't seem to care for me much it seems by listening to them. LOL

Just an average every day guy, beating people up and buying nerd statues in his spare time.
QOBrien67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old March 11th, 2016, 07:04:39 PM   #2
Mister H
Statue Marvels Royalty

Consider yourself officially welcomed!
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2016, 07:25:25 PM   #3
riteguytu
Statue Marvels Royalty

Welcome, dude!

Nice cabinet symbols!
riteguytu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2016, 08:36:02 PM   #4
97thAcolyte
Statue Marvels Trend Setter

(Even though you've been here longer than I have) Welcome? xD

I like what you're doing with the 1st appearance and the prints. I've tried to make a list of statues, but I keep finding more I want. The symbols look cool too. Who's the bust gunna be?
97thAcolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2016, 08:52:55 PM   #5
Quilon
Statue Marvels Royalty

Welcome again! Those cabinet symbols are looking good.
Quilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2016, 01:29:32 AM   #6
Don Bohm
Statue Marvels Royalty

Welcome aboard! You've got a good start there with the bust, building up forms. Keep at it, YouTube is a great resource.
Don Bohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2016, 08:32:50 AM   #7
Blindzider
Statue Marvels Royalty

Welcome! Seems we have about the same taste in music. I think that's really cool that you've had those Muay Thai experiences. I'm hoping that when some of my other projects are finished I can start sculpting as well. Looking forward to meeting you at the class and seeing your finished work.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Buy a copy of my photo book! Details HERE.

Statue Marvels Threads:
Statue Photography | Collection Room

Blindzider Photography: Superheroes | Statues | Art
Buy @ Pixels | Follow @ Flickr | Like @ Facebook
-------------------------------------------------------------
Blindzider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2016, 03:50:26 PM   #8
leadin2
Statue Marvels Royalty

Welcome to SM! Love your display!
leadin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2016, 09:10:49 PM   #9
sash501
Statue Marvels Royalty

Cabinet symbols are a nice touch. Someone here did an Asgardian case with norse symbols . . . I love these ideas.

Sash's Bowen Collection Thread

If you see the collection thread in new posts, it's because new pics have been added.
sash501 is offline   Reply With Quote