Help Support SM:

Sideshow on eBay
Amazon Home Page
Bowen Statues
General-Marvel Collectibles
Spider-Man
Site Support
XM Studios

Go Back   STATUE M A R V E L S > OTHER STATUE FORUM > GODZILLA & Friends COLLECTIBLES

View Poll Results: How do you rate Godzilla?
4 Minyas! 10 29.41%
3 Minyas! 10 29.41%
2 Minyas! 8 23.53%
1 Minyas 1 2.94%
Waiting to watch at home or on some device. 2 5.88%
No interest. 3 8.82%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Starter HoldyourfireAl Replies 42 Views 7490  Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscription
share |
share topic

Old May 18th, 2014, 12:29:10 AM   #21
JONNYBRAVO
Statue Marvels Royalty

saw it Thursday night and loved it, sure they could of showed a little more of Godzilla, but I think the final battle made up for everything in the end. I was also stoked to see the initial battle taking place on our island, I do wish that scene was longer. I give it two and a half out of three claws!

"I'm the best there is at what I do, but what I do isn't very nice"-Wolverine, Wolverine limited series #1 Sept 1982

GIFSoup
JONNYBRAVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 18th, 2014, 04:22:11 AM   #22
uatu13
Statue Marvels Trend Setter

[QUOTE=REL;588057]
Quote:
Originally Posted by uatu13 View Post
When the hell did they ever do anything? We had a couple of helicopters shooting machine guns, and fighter jets just falling out the sky. The only time the naval ships did anything was when the started randomly shooting missiles at Godzilla, and like 2 tanks on a bridge. Yes, I know this was supposed to take place pretty quickly, but I'd think the entire Pacific fleet and the entire US air force on the west coast might have more than a couple of helicopters with miniguns to fight back with.[/QUOTE

The USAF can put a bomb anywhere in the world in under 24 hours. We could easily have 500 fighters on either coast in much less time than that (we have close to 2000 fighters in active status). And with a target as big as Godzilla our bomber fleet would certainly have a heyday. The Cold War ensured we have lots of plans and contingencies for bringing force to bear to protect the coastal areas. A handful of fighters, choppers, and tanks is pretty inaccurate. But this isn't supposed to be a true story.
I'm not even referring to Godzilla, they never bothered to fight Godzilla since they sort of figured him out. Both of the Muto monsters just walk around and no one every bothers to shoot anything at them other than small arms fire. Kind of strange.

I don't think it was a horrible movie like the 90's reboot of course, because you can tell a lot of people put a ton of effort into the visuals, but the script was pretty crappy, dragged in parts, and there were A LOT of plot holes. I especially like the people still typing on their computers in the office while Muto was just walking at their building. Pretty special...

Last edited by uatu13; May 18th, 2014 at 04:26:13 AM..
uatu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2014, 01:53:16 PM   #23
impossiblepie
Statue Marvels Royalty

My Review:

I liked the movie
More screen time for Godzilla, he is the star of the movie!!
why the other monsters get more screen time than Godzilla???
Didn't care for any of the human sub-plots.
final battle scene, give us a good 5-10 minutes without cutting to any humans doing whatever it is they are doing!

Loved it when they said King of Monsters savoir of our city?? LOL how many people did he kill getting up from his nap and walking to the ocean??

Seeing it in IMAX 3D was a total waste, did nothing for the movie, I avoid 3D movies but it was the only option at the time and I figured seeing Godzilla a giant monster on a big screen in 3D would be worth it....nope!!!

Last edited by impossiblepie; May 19th, 2014 at 01:57:21 PM..
impossiblepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2014, 04:14:02 PM   #24
HoldyourfireAl
Administrator

My thoughts:

The worst: It was a pretty boring film.

Really bad: The score was terrible. It seemed to be phoned in and not thought out well at all. It's amazing how important a score is to a film. I'd love to see another composer take a whack at this. I'd bet it would elevate the film many degrees!

Pretty bad: That lead, soldier dude was absolutely uninteresting. The guy has no screen presence. The other actors seemed like they were just there for a paycheck. A lot of the dialog was just generic silliness.

The good: The design of Godzilla. I was wary of it going in, but they won me over!

The very good: Making Godzilla a hero! I was a kid of the 70s and Creature Double Feature, so in most of the Godzilla movies I saw, he was a good guy. Nice to have him back!

Great: Having him fight other monsters!

Absolutely fantastic: Atomic breath & it was blue & his scales lit up!!!!

Unfortunately, there should have been an audience response when that tail lit up & I got nothing at the two screenings I attended. There was no clapping at the end & many folks were saying it was boring.

Join the Statue Marvels Facebook Group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/Statuemarvels/
HoldyourfireAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2014, 05:44:34 PM   #25
Arahom Radjah

My personal opinion is:

It was boring, predictable and full of clichés! The destruction of the cities, we have seen it over and over again! Who still gets impressed by seeing LA being destroyed yet again?! Really?!

The “Humans” part of the movie with that same old formula of the “hero” rushing back home to save wife and kid is SOOOO unoriginal, seen over and over again already!! The acting was below average, and I agree they should have cast some better actors if they would give them so much screen time.

The only part worth watching was Godzilla itself fighting the other two monsters, yet we all knew since the very beginning he would win at the end.... As I said boring and predictable!
Arahom Radjah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2014, 06:48:54 PM   #26
northpole2
Statue Marvels Royalty

I actually hated the actual flame. I loved the build up in reverse of what we are used to, the expansion of the chest and the beam was just "blah" to me. Now, the second time, which was very predictable, I did like.
northpole2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2014, 11:36:41 PM   #27
JONNYBRAVO
Statue Marvels Royalty

[QUOTE=HoldyourfireAl;Absolutely fantastic: Atomic breath & it was blue & his scales lit up!!!!

Unfortunately, there should have been an audience response when that tail lit up & I got nothing at the two screenings I attended. There was no clapping at the end & many folks were saying it was boring.
[/QUOTE]

Agreedl, I clapped when Godzilla lit up and hit the Muto with his atomic breath, albeit I was the only one during our screening, but I did'nt care, it was frikkin' awesome!
JONNYBRAVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2014, 02:45:59 AM   #28
BUZZYBEAN
Statue Marvels Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arahom Radjah View Post
My personal opinion is:

It was boring, predictable and full of clichés! The destruction of the cities, we have seen it over and over again! Who still gets impressed by seeing LA being destroyed yet again?! Really?!
Really?? Godzilla is all about destroying cities. That's what Kaiju do. What did you want them to do- the Tango?

BUZZYBEAN: First person ever to be banned on Statue Forum. Now kneel.
BUZZYBEAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2014, 05:14:28 PM   #29
northpole2
Statue Marvels Royalty

LOL. Yes, I found that funny. It's like going to a super hero movie and saying "super powers are so cliche."
Old May 20th, 2014, 08:18:58 PM   #30
MutantXavier
Statue Marvels Royalty

i will be watching this tonight with the wifey.. heard its really good. i didn't read all the posts here. lolzz

:::WAITLISTS from the 90s:::

Colossus
Gambit
Jubilee
Dazzler
Havok
MutantXavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2014, 09:53:02 PM   #31
Arahom Radjah

Quote:
Originally Posted by northpole2 View Post
LOL. Yes, I found that funny. It's like going to a super hero movie and saying "super powers are so cliche."
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUZZYBEAN View Post
Really?? Godzilla is all about destroying cities. That's what Kaiju do. What did you want them to do- the Tango?
Nothing against cities being destroyed, but when "destroying cities" is ALL the movie has to offer, then yes, it becomes mediocre, predictable and boring!

The movie had no plot, no acting, no originality, no nothing, besides a bunch of buildings and cities being destroyed like we've seen hundreds of times already in hundreds of other movies!

This is basically what I meant with my comment, but of course my comment was directed to intelligent adults that can actually evaluate a movie besides the blasts and bangs!
Arahom Radjah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2014, 10:14:41 PM   #32
northpole2
Statue Marvels Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arahom Radjah View Post

This is basically what I meant with my comment, but of course my comment was directed to intelligent adults that can actually evaluate a movie besides the blasts and bangs!
Hmmmm.....passive aggressive irony.

Last edited by northpole2; May 20th, 2014 at 10:37:53 PM..
Old May 21st, 2014, 07:34:44 PM   #33
F.O.O.M.

ok, ok, come on guys, put me out of my misery, please. Is Blue Oyster Cult's Godzilla song on the soundtrack...?
F.O.O.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2014, 09:20:43 PM   #34
HoldyourfireAl
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.O.O.M. View Post
ok, ok, come on guys, put me out of my misery, please. Is Blue Oyster Cult's Godzilla song on the soundtrack...?
Nope.
Old May 22nd, 2014, 02:04:01 AM   #35
nexus
Statue Marvels Royalty

6/10 from me.

Killing off Cranston early was probably one of the biggest mistakes IMO. With him gone the acting had to be carried by Taylor-Johnson and Elizabeth Olsen (who will be back as brother and sister in Avengers kinda weird). I really didn't care that much about their story. It was predictable and something that has been done time and again in large set piece disaster movies.

Ken Watanabe, who I usually really like, looked like he was walking around in a daze pretty much the entire movie. I could have imagined him and Cranston playing off well against one another though, coming together to figure out the science stuff. With that approach and the two of those great actors doing more heavy lifting, then the Taylor-Johnson scenes could have been significantly tightened so he came across as more of an action hero. They could have made him a SEAL or something leading a strike team as opposed to hitching a ride with whatever unit that was, As it was the entire military plan was just kind of "huh"? They mobilized what, a couple of ground units, a few jet fighters and a few helicopters to combat creatures that had already taken out two or three cities, and a single Admiral was calling the shots as opposed to the Pentagon mobilizing everything they could muster--6-7 destroyers, hundreds of fighter jets, tens of thousands of troops with heavy artillary, miniguns, RPGs, missiles, etc. Were they trying to fight them on a budget or something? Sure a missile to the head might be little more than an annoyance to the creatures, But you can swarm the crap out of them, and induce death of a million cuts.

I suppose they did a decent, albeit somewhat unrealistic job of positioning Godzilla as a hero monster, although you would have thought that initially the military would have been out to off him. The Godzilla design played homage to "man in suit" and it sometimes even moved accordingly. And in certain respects I think that helped to communicate the fact that Godzilla was an intelligent creature as opposed to a raging animal/force of nature. Why else would he take care not to smash a few cars as he made his way back to the ocean. I was less enthused about the design for Gamera, Mothra or whatever they were. There was really nothing unique about the design. It reminded me a bit of Starship Troopers without a color palette. I also think the lack of eyes took away any emotion they could have conveyed.

Anyway, kind of bland. I kept falling asleep. Maybe when it comes out on DVD I'll give it a second look and like it more. Certainly better than the last Godzilla, but not the home run I was expecting. I much preferred Pacific Rim in terms of originality, design and action.
nexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2014, 01:24:52 PM   #36
DeadGhostKnight
Statue Marvels Royalty

Well i loved it. Loooooooved it.

I actually though the pacing was spot on and there was a lot more action than i was anticipating, sure it was a little slower paced in places but it always got to either Muto or Godzilla doing something pretty quickly.

From the moment Muto was revealed to Godzillas first reveal i was just like a big kid grinning ear to ear, at Godzillas reveal i almost had tears in my eyes just with shear excitement.

Muto was the big surprise for me, i really liked their design and roar and they actually gave G some trouble, really well done and sets the stage for introducing other Toho monsters, although i do feel Mothra should be off the table for the sequel.

Godzilla......man they did such a great job on him, you just don't get anything from the still images of him but him in motion it just killed......atomic breath was YES YES YES YES!

SPOILER

I wasn't super happy about Bryan Cranstons character being killed off, i think he should have stayed the lead with ATJ being his co-lead as i don't think ATJ pulled off a convincing enough job at all, he was ok but not great.

SPOILER

I loved the spin on the story too, i'm glad they didn't just go with "Nuke made Godzilla, now Godzilla kills everything" the way they went really reminded me of GMK, this time with Godzilla being the Guardian of the earth and also making him more hero like like in the later showa movies.

Also the military were rubbish, it's kinda a Godzilla tradition and they did a fine job on screwing everything up here too lol.

If you are any sort of Godzilla or Monster movie fan you'll be seeing this anyway, for anyone else i think the slightly slower pace might put people off but this is america doing Godzilla and doing a fine job on it a last.

Edit : Also the music and sound overall was excellent, the music definitely had similarities in places to Classic Godzilla themes and the sounds and the roars from the Mutos and Godzilla were excellent.
DeadGhostKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2014, 10:53:04 PM   #37
F.O.O.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldyourfireAl View Post
Nope.
Thanks, Al. They f****d that up then with no BOC/Godzilla on the soundtrack, at least Iron Man had Black Sabbath...
F.O.O.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2014, 01:49:54 AM   #38
glassdancer
Statue Marvels Royalty

Thank you all for the posts. I plan on seeing this movie tomorrow. Should I stay past the end credits..?

"If you're not dancing, you're wasting your feet"
glassdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2014, 02:24:29 AM   #39
HoldyourfireAl
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassdancer View Post
Thank you all for the posts. I plan on seeing this movie tomorrow. Should I stay past the end credits..?
Nope! Great to see you, by the way!
Old May 23rd, 2014, 02:47:56 PM   #40
glassdancer
Statue Marvels Royalty

Cheers Al,

It has been a while.

Here's hoping that this post finds everyone doing well and in the best of spirits and health.
glassdancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
godzilla, godzilla movie reviews