STATUE   M A R V E L S

STATUE M A R V E L S (http://www.statuemarvels.com/index.php)
-   MODERN MARVEL & DC COMICS ACTION FIGURES & COLLECTIBLES (http://www.statuemarvels.com/forumdisplay.php?f=525)
-   -   To open or not to open (http://www.statuemarvels.com/showthread.php?t=24658)

impossiblepie September 11th, 2013 11:05:43 AM

To open or not to open

I was wondering what everyone's opinion on leaving figures MOC or opening the package.

What's your opinion?

Do you open no matter what it cost or what it's worth? do you care?

Do you leave MOC because of cost and what it's worth?

What are you reasons for opening or leaving MOC.

if something you bought cheap later because expensive does that change you mind on opening the figure?

how do you display your figures MOC?

I bring this up because I've been buying the Hotwheels Batmoblie 1:50 diecast toys. I've left them all in package, I've thought about opening some or even all of them but now almost every single one is not cheap out of the package. The Batwing goes for $90 and the Batblade (which I just found) out about goes for $90-100!!!

So I don't plan on ever selling them but I don't want to open them and loose what they're worth MOC. but opening them it would look better displaying them.

TrueFaith September 11th, 2013 11:58:29 AM

If you never plan on selling them and you want to open them then do it.
I collected dozens of action figures at one point and kept them all pristine and MOC thinking I would sell them one day. When that day came I found out they were practically worthless. The only positive about them being MOC was that they all looked new when I donated them all to Toys for Tots.
I'd be a little wary of saying you'd never sell them though. Life has a way of putting you in situations where "I'd never" becomes "I'd better". Having them MOC if that happens would certainly be a good thing, but you can't live your life waiting for bad things to happen.
If you'd enjoy them more if you open them then there's your answer. :D

meecha96 September 11th, 2013 01:20:28 PM

I had a similar situation with my masterpiece transformers. I ended up opening them. They are a little less valuable but I can enjoy them. Hotwheels are different though. I like the way they display on the card. Tough choice. I took a year round decide what I wanted to do.

impossiblepie September 11th, 2013 02:00:14 PM

that's the good thing about (for example) the MP transformers packaging, you can take the toy out of the package and not ruin it, store the package and when you want put the toy back in it.

I plan on opening all my MP Transformers when I get a chance to display them, they are to good to keep in the packaging.

kjpennington September 11th, 2013 02:52:41 PM

This is funny to me. I've been collecting action figures of all kinds for years and I have the same dilemma. Very rarely will I open them. Sometimes to me they look much better in their packages. I've even bought two of the same so I don't feel so guilty about opening one :cool:

leadin2 September 11th, 2013 02:57:40 PM

I used to keep all my action figures MOC, till one day I find myself running out of space. So I bought 2 cabinets from ikea and opened all in 1 day. My fingers were so numb after that. My suggestion is to leave them till you decided what to do.

leadin2 September 11th, 2013 03:00:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjpennington (Post 546323)
This is funny to me. I've been collecting action figures of all kinds for years and I have the same dilemma. Very rarely will I open them. Sometimes to me they look much better in their packages. I've even bought two of the same so I don't feel so guilty about opening one :cool:

Ha. Sounds like we have the same habit.

TCSC September 11th, 2013 04:03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leadin2 (Post 546327)
Ha. Sounds like we have the same habit.

I know all about your habit. Tsk tsk...

And I have no qualms about keeping my toys MOC. I think it's a disorder.

Citizen Alpha September 11th, 2013 11:27:33 PM

I've never been one to keep stuff MOC. But I guess it depends on your reasons for collecting. The only time I look at prices for anything is when I'm hunting down a piece or when it's something I need to add to my separate articles policy.

I buy them to enjoy them, which to me means being able to put my grubby little hands on them. If I ever started looking at long-term value for any of my collectibles (outside of my bronze and silver key comics), I probably wouldn't even bother buying them to begin with. Too many better places to put my money if Im looking to liquidate down the road.

It's just a different mindset. Too each his own I say. My particular way of thinking is why I abhor slabbed comics - 95% of the good stuff is locked away never to be enjoyed again. That and the ridiculous premium they carry. Paying more for a book that I can't open just isn't my thing.

If you get the itch to open something - I say scratch that sucker!

AdamWarlock87 September 12th, 2013 12:19:40 AM

Some things just display better when they are left MOC. But you said it yourself you don't plan on selling them then don't worry about what they are worth. Worry about how your going to display them. Or buy two of each which a lot I hardcore collectors do.

Django September 12th, 2013 03:10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by impossiblepie (Post 546289)
I was wondering what everyone's opinion on leaving figures MOC or opening the package.

What's your opinion? I almost always leave them MOC because you never know. I'd rather they retain value just in case I sell. Or if I am just in love with it I'll buy two, one to open, one on the card!

Do you open no matter what it cost or what it's worth? do you care? I never open because 99.9% of the time I like the packaging. I also feel like MOC or box is like a case keeping the dust off so I don't have to buy a case LOL. I only own eleven figures (12"+ and 6"), ten are MOC. The exception is Boba Fett from the Unleashed line which I opened.

Do you leave MOC because of cost and what it's worth? Yes and no. If I sell it helps retain the value, but it's not why I do it. For me it's a better presentation IMO.

What are you reasons for opening or leaving MOC. See above.

if something you bought cheap later because expensive does that change you mind on opening the figure? Not really. If I opened a figure I never regretted it. If I keep it in the package ditto.

How do you display your figures MOC? On a shelf, though I used to put them on the wall which looks nice also. Now I have too many posters/prints for the wall thing to work.

Above are my answers in lime green to your dilemma. To me I'm a MOC guy. I like statues and mini busts because I can break that rule and display them. But I usually love the package art to the figures I own and how they display in the box. The only figure I have I don't like in the box is my 12" RAH Boba Fett, because it's a bland box. I'd like to open him, but then I need a case so for now he stays in the box.

impossiblepie September 12th, 2013 08:50:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Django (Post 546487)
Above are my answers in lime green to your dilemma. To me I'm a MOC guy. I like statues and mini busts because I can break that rule and display them. But I usually love the package art to the figures I own and how they display in the box. The only figure I have I don't like in the box is my 12" RAH Boba Fett, because it's a bland box. I'd like to open him, but then I need a case so for now he stays in the box.

I think a great example is the old GI Joe toys, the artwork on the figure cards and vehicle boxes was awesome!

impossiblepie September 12th, 2013 08:52:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Citizen Alpha (Post 546442)
I've never been one to keep stuff MOC. But I guess it depends on your reasons for collecting. The only time I look at prices for anything is when I'm hunting down a piece or when it's something I need to add to my separate articles policy.

I buy them to enjoy them, which to me means being able to put my grubby little hands on them. If I ever started looking at long-term value for any of my collectibles (outside of my bronze and silver key comics), I probably wouldn't even bother buying them to begin with. Too many better places to put my money if Im looking to liquidate down the road.

It's just a different mindset. Too each his own I say. My particular way of thinking is why I abhor slabbed comics - 95% of the good stuff is locked away never to be enjoyed again. That and the ridiculous premium they carry. Paying more for a book that I can't open just isn't my thing.

If you get the itch to open something - I say scratch that sucker!

I only reason I would ever buy a slabbed comic is if it was a silver or bronze age key book, because with the slab book at least you know what you're getting and if it's restored or not, the last thing I would want to do was to spend X amount on a book and later find out it's restored.

But other than that I do prefer being able to open the comic.

Dwayne1972 September 27th, 2013 03:19:28 AM

To me it's all about the aesthetic of the thing. If a toy looks better out of the package, I open it. If the package has fantastic art or graphics that show off the toy and enhance it's visual appeal, I leave it. My collection is about 50/50 and it makes for a much more interesting display.

Take these two Mego Pocket Hulks. The blah red card is an opener. The awesome denim card is a keep-it-sealed.

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/n...ps2c71df05.jpg

Tarasadies September 27th, 2013 06:10:07 AM

I open 90% of my goodies. Once in awhile I will buy something that I think looks great left on the card, so I leave those be. I will say this though, I have heard many times "I am never selling my collection" and then something happens that requires that the collection be sold. If that time comes, you'll want the stuff carded....

jpsarri September 27th, 2013 06:48:08 AM

Open it. Life is too short to worry about "speculative" future value. You are playing the lotto and not buying secure bonds (geez.. They are also unreliable).

thanos13 January 16th, 2014 02:56:30 PM

At one point I had about 130 marvel legends moc... And sold them all for a huge profit..!

Here's the funny thing... I really deep down wished I opened everyone and enjoyed them.. Haha..

Oh well.. I buy a few here and there and I open everyone.. But it still hurts at first Lol!

predator31 January 16th, 2014 03:28:48 PM

If its worth a lot leave it unopened you never know if you will have to sell it down the road

impossiblepie January 16th, 2014 03:39:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thanos13 (Post 566155)
At one point I had about 130 marvel legends moc... And sold them all for a huge profit..!

Here's the funny thing... I really deep down wished I opened everyone and enjoyed them.. Haha..

Oh well.. I buy a few here and there and I open everyone.. But it still hurts at first Lol!

Are they worth so much because of the limited amount that are make?

Smashdaddy January 16th, 2014 04:52:28 PM

My suggestion - sell them and buy off-the-card fresh minty ones for display and you'll come out ahead...!