STATUE   M A R V E L S

STATUE M A R V E L S (http://www.statuemarvels.com/index.php)
-   MARVEL * DC * IMAGE & OTHERS COMIC BOOK DISCUSSIONS (http://www.statuemarvels.com/forumdisplay.php?f=523)
-   -   Comic Custom Binding (http://www.statuemarvels.com/showthread.php?t=28508)

REL August 25th, 2014 10:28:26 PM

Comic Custom Binding

Anyone have your comics custom bound? I've seen examples of custom bound omnibus volumes out there and I found a place in CA that does it. Curious if anyone has any general advice or cautions as I am considering whether or not to get my complete Mark Gruenwald Captain America run bound.

Comic Books

bdogg_80 August 25th, 2014 10:44:05 PM

I am getting some comics bound right now, by Herring and Robinson in North CA. The tips I was given were helpful to me: Start with a set of books that aren't your most valuable issues, or issues that you would have a hard time replacing. That way, if you are unhappy with the end result, you aren't out as much value-wise, as you might be with your most collectible issues. Also, unless you really want to drop some coin, leave out doing every bell and whistle that some of the binders offer. Again, that allows your first trial run of comic book binding to be a less risky one. I'm getting my Captain Britain and MI13 issues bound now, and I picked up the whole run for $6, so not a huge loss if I'm unhappy with the end result.

REL August 25th, 2014 10:57:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdogg_80 (Post 600510)
I am getting some comics bound right now, by Herring and Robinson in North CA. The tips I was given were helpful to me: Start with a set of books that aren't your most valuable issues, or issues that you would have a hard time replacing. That way, if you are unhappy with the end result, you aren't out as much value-wise, as you might be with your most collectible issues. Also, unless you really want to drop some coin, leave out doing every bell and whistle that some of the binders offer. Again, that allows your first trial run of comic book binding to be a less risky one. I'm getting my Captain Britain and MI13 issues bound now, and I picked up the whole run for $6, so not a huge loss if I'm unhappy with the end result.

Sounds like some good advice. I'd love to hear back from you about your thoughts when you get this run back. Pics would be loverly too. :)

Do you mind telling me what options you went with for binding and cover type? Sewn binding? Buckram covers? etc?

REL August 27th, 2014 02:23:56 AM

If anyone wants to see pictures of custom binds check here: Gallery! - Comic Geek Speak

Warpath August 27th, 2014 12:09:39 PM

Awesome stuff. If I were a comic collector, I'd be all over this. Too bad I can't get all my softcover TPBs done this way.

REL August 27th, 2014 08:19:23 PM

You probably can get your TPBs re-bound in hard cover. I'm not really sure if it would be worth it though.

I am really curious about gutter loss with their different types of binding. They say their least amount of loss is in the hand sewn but they can only do and inch and a half of material vs 2 and 3/4 inches for their two other types of binding. I'm thinking about having two things bound different ways and see how they come out.

bdogg_80 August 27th, 2014 09:12:14 PM

I didn't do hand sewn. Went with a White Buckram with Red Lettering (I think-its been awhile since I sent it in). I also added a Marvel Dye to the spine. No bookmark or much of anything else. I will definitely update with some pics when I get it in. I've heard nothing but excellent experiences with this company.
Quote:

Originally Posted by REL (Post 600513)
Sounds like some good advice. I'd love to hear back from you about your thoughts when you get this run back. Pics would be loverly too. :)

Do you mind telling me what options you went with for binding and cover type? Sewn binding? Buckram covers? etc?

Andy August 27th, 2014 09:56:53 PM

Here's a great DIY for anyone brave enough to try it themselves:

Action Figure Blues: DIY Comic Book Binding with dozymuppet!

REL August 27th, 2014 11:19:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy (Post 600718)
Here's a great DIY for anyone brave enough to try it themselves:

Action Figure Blues: DIY Comic Book Binding with dozymuppet!

That is really impressive. Not sure I'm prepared to try that at this point but major kudos to dozymuppet!

bdogg_80, I look forward to seeing the final product. I googled the couple binding companies that do this sort of thing in the states and Herring and Robinson seem to have a very high satisfaction rating. While it's not cheap their price is less expensive than I expected. I started looking into this based on a couple of custom binds I found on Ebay I bid on.

I'm actually tempted to have them bind the same issues you are having done and have them hand sewn with faux leather and then have my Nomad run bound using Buckram and their oversewn method to compare the two. I have books bound in buckram and it's very sturdy and durable.

sash501 August 28th, 2014 10:51:36 AM

I've always thought the idea is cool, but have been too worried about losing comic value by getting a set bound.

That being said there are some ridiculous prices on the bay for bound books. For example, there is a punisher set listed at nearly $800. I have a complete run of all the punisher books . . . should I get these bound or is this a listing by a mad man? Each custom binding is unique, so there is no way to truly gage a proper price.

If I did do it, it would have to be a set that will likely never increase in value . . . maybe the dark tower series I would do. Still, scarred to pull the trigger.

It would be nice to have a crystal ball and know what stories will be well written and I would enjoy. If I knew a story would be good, I'd just buy two of each issue for purposes of binding one set.

Great thread . . . I'll subscribe.

sash501 August 28th, 2014 10:56:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by REL (Post 600699)
You probably can get your TPBs re-bound in hard cover. I'm not really sure if it would be worth it though.

I am really curious about gutter loss with their different types of binding. They say their least amount of loss is in the hand sewn but they can only do and inch and a half of material vs 2 and 3/4 inches for their two other types of binding. I'm thinking about having two things bound different ways and see how they come out.

Based on this post, you're already aware of big risks in binding. Outside of the gutter loss, I have also heard stories of different binding companies trimming pages; i.e. cutting the edges off the pages to have them fit . . . this is a no no IMO.

sash501 August 28th, 2014 11:56:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by REL (Post 600651)
If anyone wants to see pictures of custom binds check here: Gallery! - Comic Geek Speak

The link you provided here provides great examples of bound books and a solution to a problem I've had, which results in a push for binding.

Problem: Always have been interested in obtaining original art via conventions, but never liked the idea of storing individual pencil pieces, nor a desire to have them framed and hung (no room and the wife wouldn't allow it)

Solution: Get the art made for the interior cover of the bound volume. Love this idea!!

Push: More motivated to bound some books!!

Blindzider August 28th, 2014 12:05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sash501 (Post 600788)
I've always thought the idea is cool, but have been too worried about losing comic value by getting a set bound.

That being said there are some ridiculous prices on the bay for bound books. For example, there is a punisher set listed at nearly $800. I have a complete run of all the punisher books . . . should I get these bound or is this a listing by a mad man? Each custom binding is unique, so there is no way to truly gage a proper price.

If I did do it, it would have to be a set that will likely never increase in value . . . maybe the dark tower series I would do. Still, scarred to pull the trigger.

It would be nice to have a crystal ball and know what stories will be well written and I would enjoy. If I knew a story would be good, I'd just buy two of each issue for purposes of binding one set.

Great thread . . . I'll subscribe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by REL (Post 600699)

Those are the two things that worry me as well: gutter loss (or any other type of damage to the books) as well as loss of value.

How do you decide what to bind? It's a difficult decision for me. For example, I have a mini-series that I enjoy reading, but it isn't worth a tremendous amount. I could easily buy the hardcover which would be cheaper than binding, but it isn't quite "good" enough for me to justify buying it again in hardcover.

Take a series that is worth a lot (Brubaker's Cap for example) and now I basically trade ease of reading (by binding) for the perceived value of owning the original issues.

I'm not sure where I would personally draw the line. If it was relatively inexpensive to bind, I have plenty of stuff that I want to keep, but aren't worth a lot of money, but right now the cost of binding vs. book value is too far apart for me.

Looking forward to see what your results are. I'm curious what series you want to bind too.

REL August 28th, 2014 07:17:04 PM

I started looking into this when I found (and bought) these off Ebay:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.n...b96e2a10cd7aa7

These two books contain the Exiles issues 90 thru 100, the whole run of Claremont's New Exiles (18 issues plus an annual), New Excalibur (24 issues) and two other connected mini-series (6 issues). I paid less or equal the cost of binding these (worked out to $1.29 an issue). Very little gutter loss. Not sure what company bound these though.

I would probably never bind issues instead of buying an available omnibus or HC unless they were really expensive (I already have Brubaker's Cap omnibi). My thought is that all of Cap's issues will not appear in omnibus format. I have the Masterworks for early stuff. But Marvel's omnibus editor said it was unlikely they would do Gruenwald's run in omnibus and it's not available in HC and they haven't collected all the issues in TPB. They may eventually get to these issues in Masterworks but it's taken them 12 years to put out the first seven so it will be a couple decades at the rate they are going before they start. So, I'm thinking about binding my run as it's the only option if I want to put them on my shelf. I like the thought of having them on the book shelf instead of buried in boxes where I'll rarely see them and even rarer that I'd read them. I would start with some newer stuff though as a test run. Maybe the Marvel Knights issues (32 issues), Nomad (25 issues), and I have a stack of Cap mini-series a few issues long each that will probably never be collected in OHC or omnibus.

While binding isn't cheap it's looking like $40ish for the cheaper buckram options. That's less expensive than an omnibus usually is.

sash501 August 28th, 2014 08:09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by REL (Post 600816)
I have a stack of Cap mini-series a few issues long each that will probably never be collected in OHC or omnibus.

great idea!! mini series rarely ever increase in value (pls post if I'm wrong). I'll start there.

REL January 12th, 2015 11:42:02 PM

B-Dogg80, any update on your binding project?

I have not sent anything yet but I have two runs I want to get bound.

JONNYBRAVO January 13th, 2015 10:36:52 PM

I'm considering custom binding as well, I'm thinking of going the route of buying inexpensive paperbacks and having them converted to custom bound omnibuses. However, as mentioned, the price can really go up if you go for all the bells and whistles.

REL January 21st, 2015 11:28:32 PM

I was intrigued by the Nova story when I read his part in the Annihilation omnibus. I looked up the going rate for collecting the Abnett and Lanning run:

Quote:

Nova by Lanning and Abnett TPB
(All prices cheapest from Amazon sellers)
Vol 1. 33.99 (HC 39.86) (Annihilation)
Vol 2. 36.00
Vol 3. 7.48 (Secret Invasion)
Vol 4. 151.19
Vol 5. 25.80 (War of Kings)
Vol 6. 45.00 (Realm of Kings)

Total cheapest TPB price: $301.66
Way expensive especially for paperbacks. Other folks I talked to seemed to think that it's unlikely that this run will be reprinted in some sort of collection as so much of it is connected to events (the first 8 issues will be in the Annihilation Conquest omnibus). So I hunted down the single issues. 36 regular issues and an annual for a total of 37 issues. I sent them all off today to Herring and Robinson with my first custom bind omnibus order.

sash501 January 21st, 2015 11:42:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by REL (Post 609843)
I was intrigued by the Nova story when I read his part in the Annihilation omnibus. I looked up the going rate for collecting the Abnett and Lanning run:

Way expensive especially for paperbacks. Other folks I talked to seemed to think that it's unlikely that this run will be reprinted in some sort of collection as so much of it is connected to events (the first 8 issues will be in the Annihilation Conquest omnibus). So I hunted down the single issues. 36 regular issues and an annual for a total of 37 issues. I sent them all off today to Herring and Robinson with my first custom bind omnibus order.

Really looking forward to seeing this. Please post many pics. What is the turnaround time?

REL January 21st, 2015 11:54:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sash501 (Post 609846)
Really looking forward to seeing this. Please post many pics. What is the turnaround time?

Me too! I didn't even read the comic books to keep my anticipation high (and it's totally working!). :) According to their web site the turn around time is 4 to 6 weeks.